Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dt25 Direct Emulated Out Sounds Broken

martinrawlins

Hi guys, I'm trying to do some quiet recording using the emulated out (in LVM) and it sounds absolutely terrible, like a badly clipping DI.

My first thought was that the cabinet modeling was not enabled, but when I select it on the DT customizer software it does seem to be coming on, but not improving the sound. There's plenty of headroom on my mic input, the levels are fine.

I've also tried different models/settings and restarting the amp.

The amp sounds perfectly normal and great through a cab, the problem is just with the emulated out. I have used it before with no problem and can't understand what the problem could be.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? Help!

(clip attached)

dt25 emulated.mp3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

It's one of my favourite features about the DT25... when we play shows where all we get is a 15min line check I'll regularly tell mixers not to bother with mic positioning and just throw me a cable. During a recent live recording session, I carefully placed a SM57 and a MD421 in front of the DT25... just to be safe, I tracked the DI as well - it compares very well against the two.

Yeah, I dig the DT25 XLR output! I play rhy guitar in a two guitar four piece, and we still struggle with mic'ing the lead guitarists amp (40w Fender tweed). I have tried a few different mics and mic placement; my DT25 signal just cuts through the mix with zero effort - and zero 'bleed' from the band.

It's a sweet sounding signal, I dig it. I like it way better than going direct from the HD500 into the mixer. I even tried going XLR from HD500 to the main mix, and using a 1/4" from the HD500 to the FX return of the DT25.

For me, the key, is the Bogner contribution. For the most part, all the amp modeling from all the different companies is more or less comparable. I just can't afford Axe FX, and I tend to not like Boss for no really good reasons - but in a blind test, all things being equal, I  would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

Amp modeling has come along way, Line6 remains at the forefront, yada yada, etc.

The key to the HD500 - DT interaction, is that it goes BEYOND amp modeling.

While the AxeFX is awesome, it cannot tell the Bogner analog poweramp to switch relays and change it's ANALOG components to 'become' the amp being modeled. And that's what you get when you use the DT25/50 XLR out. You get an interaction between digital preamp and analog poweramp, that cannot be compared to any 'pure' amp modeling hardware or software. 

• Upvote 1