Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Jtv: Clearance... End Of Line?

Just got the latest Email from guitarguitar in the UK which is one of the largest retail chains (and a very good one too) they have 16 models in stock, plus M20d, PODs, StageSource range, etc.  So a big L6 supplier in the UK.

Line 6 Tyler Variax are £500 off in a "Reduced to Clear" (down to around £750)

622_201113_LineJTVSale.jpg

Great for anybody looking for a new one

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=10071611170515

But it isn't just guitarguitar for example look at Thomann (Europe wide Web dealer):

http://www.thomann.de/gb/line6_james_tyler_jtv69variax_3ts.htm

Or Anderton's (world famous because of their review videos):

WAS £1049! Only while stocks last!

http://www.andertons.co.uk/solid-body-electric-guitars/pid18997/cid671/line-6-jtv69-james-tyler-variax-guitar-in-3-tone-sunburst.asp?LGWCODE=18997;56375;2717&utm_source=googlebase&utm_term=992330105&utm_medium=pricecomp&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=CPi-4fC_-LoCFRIPtAodtA4ACw

So why is everyone dumping JTVs?  Is it End of Line 

I know Andertons had a couple of batches of B-Stock JTV's (various models).  they seemed to suggest they came from Line 6 as factory B-Stock items with tiny visual blemishes on the finish, but functionally perfect - and many of those blemishes apparently polished out so you got a great guitar for 50% off!

There is also new lower pricing of JTV's anyway and I seem to recall that was £100-200 off previous pricing.

whether they have been discontinued I have no idea - but the above is all I know.

Cheers

Rowbi

Anderton's do have B Stock - only £499 for JTV89 (non-trem), this price reduction is affecting new A stock.

But they also have some still at what was full price, so perhaps there is some re-arrangement of the Product line going on with less popular models being discounted.

Shame I can't justify a second JTV as a back-up (...because I just bought a Yamaha Motif XF which has used up all the goodwill with the missus for quite a while)

Ahh... somebody not used to the phrase "Rip Off Britain".

The UK is well known for having Prices that just don't match what you would expect from exchange rates - some manufacturers even price USD and GBP the same, and notorious ones (Adobe) price GBP well above USD (e.g. The UK upgrade to Photoshop CS extended is £444 inc. VAT or $715, the USA price is £248 or $399).

One factor is that UK Prices include VAT (Sales Tax) at 20% while US Prices exclude Sales Tax which means that the US equivalent is £624 = $1000.

The list price for JTV 69 (korea) in the UK is £1049, and all the dealers stuck to that Price - no discounts.  Now suddenly a large chunk of the range is down to £750 across most of the dealers.

What bothered me more was that Dealers that are large Line 6 Stockists (ones that stock M20d as opposed to ones with one or two items only) are using phrases such as "Reduced to Clear" and "Only While Stocks Last".  They are also bundling JTV + HD500x + bag for the original list price - bundles are also a "dump the stock while we can" tactic.

Maybe it is just affecting the UK, maybe some people are going to get a nice Christmas present, or maybe it is something else?