#1 Jeffsco

Jeffsco

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationSidney B.C.

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:56 AM

Buying a Kemper Profiling Amp. Arrives in 1 week. Had enough of struggling to get what I need from the HD500. Never had to put this intense amount of effort into my POD XTLIve (which I still have and use...). I've spent weeks...no Months reading and re-reading and applying what I've learned from this forum and MeAndBobbo and others, and while it has helped immensley....it should be easier. And yes.. I am very adept at using technology and computers, electronics, and gear. The HD series...while sounding head and shoulders above the XTLive or X3...just fall short of the mark in terms of practical usability.

I will be using the HD500 as a Midi Controller for the Kemper...and apparently..there is a very easy way to run the HD500 into the Kemper's FX return and thereby utilize the HD500's sounds if i want to. Certainly..the Kemper has not yet implemented the range of FX that the HD has....but what they have are VERY, VERY good. The HD's computer inteface is great but Kemper will have that soon. Most importantly..the Kemper's architecture is set up such that they have positioned themselves to have the freedom to alter or change things down the road. The HD series needs to take a look at that. ...or rather....what ever Line 6 is cooking up to replace it.

Mostly...I'm very tired of the limitations of the HD500....waiting forever to get new amp models, amp models I don't want, fizzy high end that needs EQ'ing out...and the dreaded Mono/ Stereo input issue and all the problems it can and does cause. I've read all about it...played with it for months and months and am just going to move on.

I appreciate all the input the Forum members have given me. I'll visit time to time...but for now...my HD becomes a glorified Midi Controller.

#2 toneman2121

toneman2121

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2714 posts
  • Locationphilly

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:36 AM

here we go again.

I'M SO HAPPY!

#3 Jeffsco

Jeffsco

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationSidney B.C.

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:51 PM

Not bashing the HD ,Toneman....for the sake of bashing it. I'm just relating what I have experienced. It simply doesn't work well for me.  I used my XTLIVE  for gigging for the past year as I struggled thru the HD. The XT worked for me...the HD didn't. The XTLive isn't in the same league as the HD tonally...but for ease of use and ease of creating tones that match the covers I'm paid to play..the XT did it for me. I found working with the XTLive so much easier that the tonal improvement of the HD proved moot. What's the point in having great tones if it takes you forever to tweak them? That is precisley why so many Axe FX2 users I know are selling off those units and going to Kemper or other units. The tonal advantage is negated by virtue of the difficulty in achieving ones goal. It should be about making tthe music...not expending disporportionalty large amounts of time and effort.

That's not to say someone elses experience with the HD won't be different. There are lots of folks here who love the HD and use it to it's fullest. It just hasn't worked out for me. And I've done my due diligence with the unit, I've spent months and months throught the past year working with the HD500 in my Recording Studio and in Rehearshal.... and so I can credibley say that it isn't my cup of tea.

The tools I prefer to use to craft my tones with the XTLive are not there with the HD500. Biggest being Parametric and graphic EQ's that reads in Hz rather than percentage. That's key to nailing recorded tones in a Cover band. It's a non negotiable. A good 3rd of the tones and Amps I crafted in the XTLIve will not translate over to the HD500. I simply prefer the old to the new. Why does that reality cause you to state..."here we go again"????

Many times Posters to this Forum have stated something along the lines of ..." If it doesn't work for you...move along! Find something that does !"

Well...I have done so....the Kemper arrives next week..

#4 toneman2121

toneman2121

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2714 posts
  • Locationphilly

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:53 PM

i'm not arguing 

I'M SO HAPPY!

#5 hoodcreeper

hoodcreeper

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:35 PM

I appreciate you posting this just for the mere fact that I too have struggled with this thing since it's inception.  Loved my x3live but the HD has been pretty much a giant let down.  What do you expect from a $500 all in one pedal though?  It's sits on the shelf and from time to time I pull it out and give it another try but alas....sounds like poo poo.  I know I know fanboys that it's operator error.  You should recieve two complimentary sound engineering classes with this pedals purchase.  How many EQ's does one patch need?  Sheesh.

#6 DeanDinosaur

DeanDinosaur

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:43 AM

Buying a Kemper Profiling Amp. Arrives in 1 week. Had enough of struggling to get what I need from the HD500. ..................... I'll visit time to time...but for now...my HD becomes a glorified Midi Controller.

Thanks for your post. I hope you come back and let us know how it goes. I would personally truly appreciate this as I'm in the market for a Kemper and I'm still in the researching stage.

#7 toneman2121

toneman2121

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2714 posts
  • Locationphilly

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:08 AM

well yo

I appreciate you posting this just for the mere fact that I too have struggled with this thing since it's inception.  Loved my x3live but the HD has been pretty much a giant let down.  What do you expect from a $500 all in one pedal though?  It's sits on the shelf and from time to time I pull it out and give it another try but alas....sounds like poo poo.  I know I know fanboys that it's operator error.  You should recieve two complimentary sound engineering classes with this pedals purchase.  How many EQ's does one patch need?  Sheesh.

well you got one thing right

I'M SO HAPPY!

#8 Jeffsco

Jeffsco

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationSidney B.C.

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:56 AM

Thanks for your post. I hope you come back and let us know how it goes. I would personally truly appreciate this as I'm in the market for a Kemper and I'm still in the researching stage.

I will post my impressions of the Kemper after a couple of weeks . Like I said....not ditching the HD500 entirely. There are some FX I will use from it, and having it onstage will be a means of a backup should anything go wrong with the Kemper rig.

The more I read about the Kemper from the manual....the more impressed I am. It's like they listened in on the Line 6  / Axe FX forums, considered the complaints and criticisms of those units, found solutions and answers and implemented them in the Kemper. Line 6 needs to pay attention to this or lose it's market share.Or..perhaps that's not important to them. They are promoting the Live Audio stuff like you wouldn't believe in my part of the country. You'd hardly know that Line 6 even made Floor Boards, FX or amps.

#9 toneman2121

toneman2121

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2714 posts
  • Locationphilly

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:02 AM

Not bashing the HD ,Toneman....for the sake of bashing it. I'm just relating what I have experienced. It simply doesn't work well for me.  I used my XTLIVE  for gigging for the past year as I struggled thru the HD. The XT worked for me...the HD didn't. The XTLive isn't in the same league as the HD tonally...but for ease of use and ease of creating tones that match the covers I'm paid to play..the XT did it for me. I found working with the XTLive so much easier that the tonal improvement of the HD proved moot. What's the point in having great tones if it takes you forever to tweak them? That is precisley why so many Axe FX2 users I know are selling off those units and going to Kemper or other units. The tonal advantage is negated by virtue of the difficulty in achieving ones goal. It should be about making tthe music...not expending disporportionalty large amounts of time and effort.

That's not to say someone elses experience with the HD won't be different. There are lots of folks here who love the HD and use it to it's fullest. It just hasn't worked out for me. And I've done my due diligence with the unit, I've spent months and months throught the past year working with the HD500 in my Recording Studio and in Rehearshal.... and so I can credibley say that it isn't my cup of tea.

The tools I prefer to use to craft my tones with the XTLive are not there with the HD500. Biggest being Parametric and graphic EQ's that reads in Hz rather than percentage. That's key to nailing recorded tones in a Cover band. It's a non negotiable. A good 3rd of the tones and Amps I crafted in the XTLIve will not translate over to the HD500. I simply prefer the old to the new. Why does that reality cause you to state..."here we go again"????

Many times Posters to this Forum have stated something along the lines of ..." If it doesn't work for you...move along! Find something that does !"

Well...I have done so....the Kemper arrives next week..

tone is in the fingers

I'M SO HAPPY!

#10 BigChas52

BigChas52

Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 2704 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:40 AM

The Kemper amp does look interesting, but at $2,000, compared to $500 for the HD500, the devices address very different market segments.  I don't think Line 6 needs to be concerned until Kemper, or Axe-FX for that matter, start marketing gear in the under $1,000 range.

With the much higher price point of both the Kemper and Axe-FX devices, I would hope that you could either coax great sounds out of them more easily, have a better range of tones or both.  Personally, since I do not use my gear for paying gigs, I cannot justify the 4x price for marginally superior results.

Good luck with the Kemper.  I hope it serves you well. :)

#11 DeanDinosaur

DeanDinosaur

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:34 PM

I recently bought the Eleven Rack and I'm keeping it. I bought it with PRO TOOLS 10, sold pro tools and kept the Eleven. Eleven Rack cost me $350 and if compared with POD HD PRO, Eleven is a better bargain. I also have the HD500 and I compared both. You can get very similar results as far as tone is concerned, but the Eleven Edges the HD500 in the ease of getting good tones and the amp models are more realistic.  The reverb in the Eleven is one of the best sounding reverbs for guitar ever, and I'm comparing to Lexicon and TC Electronic

At 350 it's very hard to justify the POD HD PRO. I honestly think line 6 should be concerned with the HD PRO and eleven. At $699 you get Eleven with Full version of Pro Tools. Line 6 better do something quick. Elevens are selling very quickly and people are separating them on eBay, you can find Eleven the Hardware for 300-400 and also Pro tools version 11 for less than $400, clearly all as a result of people purchasing the Eleven Rack bundled with Pro tools. As far as Avid is concerned, the Eleven is generating a lot of sales at $700 and the way I see it even at the price they pose a serious competition to the HD PRO.

#12 BigChas52

BigChas52

Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 2704 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:24 PM

I recently bought the Eleven Rack and I'm keeping it. I bought it with PRO TOOLS 10, sold pro tools and kept the Eleven. Eleven Rack cost me $350 and if compared with POD HD PRO, Eleven is a better bargain. I also have the HD500 and I compared both. You can get very similar results as far as tone is concerned, but the Eleven Edges the HD500 in the ease of getting good tones and the amp models are more realistic.  The reverb in the Eleven is one of the best sounding reverbs for guitar ever, and I'm comparing to Lexicon and TC Electronic

At 350 it's very hard to justify the POD HD PRO. I honestly think line 6 should be concerned with the HD PRO and eleven. At $699 you get Eleven with Full version of Pro Tools. Line 6 better do something quick. Elevens are selling very quickly and people are separating them on eBay, you can find Eleven the Hardware for 300-400 and also Pro tools version 11 for less than $400, clearly all as a result of people purchasing the Eleven Rack bundled with Pro tools. As far as Avid is concerned, the Eleven is generating a lot of sales at $700 and the way I see it even at the price they pose a serious competition to the HD PRO.

Funny you mentioned that.  I also recently bought the Eleven Rack/Pro Tools combo, but it was because I wanted Pro Tools.  Getting the Eleven Rack for free sealed the deal.  I still love my Line 6 gear, and since I cannot use my UX-2, POD HD, GuitarPort, TonePort DI Silver as interfaces for Pro Tools, I guess I'll need to use the Eleven Rack as my input device.

All that said, I've been using my Line 6 "dream rig" live, on stage (I'm a regular worship team player) for about a year now.  I love the versatility of my JT59 Variax, combined with my HD500, and DT25.  Sorry, but the Eleven Rack, while sounding pretty good, doesn't come close to replacing my "dream rig" for live play.

#13 geeker

geeker

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1193 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:03 AM

I love the versatility of my JT59 Variax, combined with my HD500, and DT25.  

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet!!! I'm so darn jealous!!!! 

Is that?????????????

#14 geeker

geeker

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1193 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:08 AM

tone is in the fingers

I totally agree that tone is in the fingers and the way someone attacks the guitar. I sound the same when going through my XT Live, X3 Live, HD 400, POD Farm 2, Marshall JVM, Peavey Studio 112 or my Trace Elliot guitar amp....... I dial in the tone that I like...... no matter what the amp sims are. That Kemper thingy looks and sounds really cool tho.....

Is that?????????????

#15 joel_brown

joel_brown

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 327 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:31 AM

Although slightly off topic, I disagree with the statement "Tone Is In the Fingers" to a point. Yes the more talent you have the better you sound. But I've always said a great guitarist with a crap sound sounds like crap. But an average guitarist with a great sound sounds great.

Back on topic, the PODHD is difficult and complex and that may not be for everyone. I struggled for months with it and was very frustrated to the point of almost giving up and going a differant direction. Then I finally got it working the way I wanted and I couldn't be more satisfied. I use a somewhat differant live setup than most. I have a pair of Marshall amps in stereo, spread on opposite ends of the stage, and the PODHD allows me some very nice features to control the stereo effect.

I came very close to giving up and buying something else like Kemper, Eleven Rack, or AXE-FX. I'm very curious to hear the comparison from someone who seems to have had a similar experiance to myself and a number of other people.

#16 toneman2121

toneman2121

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2714 posts
  • Locationphilly

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:43 AM

Although slightly off topic, I disagree with the statement "Tone Is In the Fingers" to a point. Yes the more talent you have the better you sound. But I've always said a great guitarist with a crap sound sounds like crap. But an average guitarist with a great sound sounds great.

Back on topic, the PODHD is difficult and complex and that may not be for everyone. I struggled for months with it and was very frustrated to the point of almost giving up and going a differant direction. Then I finally got it working the way I wanted and I couldn't be more satisfied. I use a somewhat differant live setup than most. I have a pair of Marshall amps in stereo, spread on opposite ends of the stage, and the PODHD allows me some very nice features to control the stereo effect.

I came very close to giving up and buying something else like Kemper, Eleven Rack, or AXE-FX. I'm very curious to hear the comparison from someone who seems to have had a similar experiance to myself and a number of other people.

just to clarify things "tone is in the fingers" isn't my quote' i heard it from a prominent guitarist. and when you play all over the world, i'll pay attention.  

I'M SO HAPPY!

#17 DeanDinosaur

DeanDinosaur

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:09 AM

just to clarify things "tone is in the fingers" isn't my quote' i heard it from a prominent guitarist. and when you play all over the world, i'll pay attention.  

That same prominent guitarist who said "Tone is in the fingers" Probably has a collection of amps and guitars that would very likely fill  a 28 wheels truck, managed by a dedicated full time guitar tech and maybe an amp technician also. The recipe for his studio guitar tone is probably top secret. Clearly he will sound good without all that gear, but to add that secret sauce, the specific amp, guitar, pickups, Mics and every piece of gear is of huge significant to bring the tones out of the fingers.

#18 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:00 AM

my opinion about how much the tone is in the fingers is: at least (if not more) 50% in the fingers (touch, personality), 50% in the gear

in the following video Guthrie Govan (monstrous incredible player) speaks about how to get a Robben Ford (one of my favorite guitarists) guitar sound (possible??)..

maybe that's not your cup of tea, but I think is somewhat interesting

#19 phil_m

phil_m

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 5277 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:16 AM

I had an interesting experience a few months ago. I was traveling back home for a wedding, and I was going to be there for the Sunday afterwards. I'm good friends with the worship leader of the church we attended back home, so I sat in with their band that Sunday. I didn't have room to pack a lot of stuff. I had thought about packing my HD500 and my guitar, but in the end, I didn't think it was worth paying the $70 or whatever for the round trip for my guitar and everything just to play in one service. So I told my friend if he could find a guitar adn an amp for me to play, I'd play. I know usually, there's a guy who has a Fender Blues Deville at the church, so I figured even if I had to just go straight into that, I'd be OK.

Well, as it turned out, that amp wasn't there. The guitar that my friend was able to round up was a cheap Austin Strat copy. The amp I ended up using was a little wee 15W Roland Cube. This was an older version of that amp. Some of them can sound decent, but imo, this thing sounded like crap. But I soldiered on. Anyway, after the service, I asked my wife how I sounded. I said, "I'm sure it sounded horrible, because I sure couldn't stand that amp". Her response was that I sounded pretty much like I always did.

Now, I'm not tempted to sell any of my amps or guitars because of this. But I do think that when it comes to gear and personal style, we care about it much, much more than the people listening to us. A big part of it is simply being comfortable with the way you personally can interact with the gear. That morning, I wasn't comfortable, but I was able to muddle through it.

Time is a train
Makes the future the past
Leaves you standing in the station
Your face pressed up against the glass

#20 toneman2121

toneman2121

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2714 posts
  • Locationphilly

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:20 AM

"in the following video Guthrie Govan (monstrous incredible player) speaks about how to get a Robben Ford (one of my favorite guitarists) guitar sound"

it's a guy who visits this forum. i want my own sound

I'M SO HAPPY!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users