#1 Werner_

Werner_

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:21 AM

Hello,

I own a AKG C 520 with the long, "normal" XLR Connector, which also contains a little circuit to make the Microphone work with 48 V phantom-power. Now I intend to buy a Line6 XD-V75TR. What has to be done to solder the Mini-XLR 4 Plug to the cable? Is there a resistor needed? How would it be connected?

I don't want an adapter for the large XLR Connector. The little XLR Connector has to be directly connected to the microphone-cable.
Hope that anyone can help.

Thanks in advance,
Werner

#2 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:44 AM

Welcome aboard, Werner...

No guarantees with this, my friend, (as microphone manufacturers often change their wiring with subsequent releases of the same "model" of microphones) but I can suggest a scheme for you to try.

(The hardest part may be for you to find a 10kΩ resistor that's small enough to fit into your TA4F connector.)

Here's how to make the trial connection of the two wires from your mic's capsule:

Pin 1:  Outer shield (or nominal "ground") wire.

Pin 2:  10kΩ resistor in series with the red (or nominal "signal +") wire, linked (after that resistor) to

Pin 3:  Parallel connection, directly from the above red (or "signal +") wire.

Pin 4:  Unused.

There are two things I'd also suggest for you to do, if you find that the above wiring scheme does work...

• Fill the entire inside of your TA4F connector with the clear silicone "goo" that's normally used to waterproof between tiles. This is to provide "anti-fracture" support for your tiny resistor, as connectors receive amazingly high sideways "g" forces when they're knocked about    …and...

• Post the result here so others may also benefit, ...in the "true spirit" of these forums.

#3 Werner_

Werner_

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:29 AM

Hello RonMarton,

thanks a lot for your reply. In fact you seem to be the first one who understood the problem.  :)  Yesterday I talked to an employee at "Thomann", who told me it would't work at all with AKG microphones, and I should consider buying a Shure-Mic, which are reported to work well with Line 6 products. :huh:

I think I will give it a try. If it works, I'll report so as you suggested. If not, you'll find a cheap AKG Microphone with minor malfunction in eBay ;)

Kind regards from germany,

Werner

#4 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2524 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:08 AM

Hello Werner

Almost any mic can be used with XDV but they need to be wired correctly. The Line 6 wiring scheme for the Ta4 connector is the same one as used by the current Shure wireless beltpacks so they can be readily substituted. Many 3rd party mics can be ordered with this Ta4 4 pin mini XLR connector from their manufacturers.

There are a couple of things you should understand before using a 3rd party mic. First it needs to have the proper sensitivity for the intended use. Some of these mics have very low output sensitivities. These mics are well suited for clipping directly to a sax for example but would probably not work well if you clipped it on a tie and the performer was soft spoken. The reverse is also true.

Another thing to consider is the RF interference rejection of any particular mic. Mics generally intended for wireless use often have some filtering built in. This is important because some mics do not like to be very close to RF transmitters. Line 6 wireless will faithfully transmit whatever the mic sends out, but if the mic picks up garbage then that will also be faithfully transmitted.

#5 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:46 AM

...Yesterday I talked to an employee at "Thomann", who told me it would't work at all with AKG microphones, and I should consider buying a Shure-Mic, which are reported to work well with Line 6 products. :huh:...

...Almost any mic can be used with XDV but they need to be wired correctly. The Line 6 wiring scheme for the Ta4 connector is the same one as used by the current Shure wireless beltpacks so they can be readily substituted. Many 3rd party mics can be ordered with this Ta4 4 pin mini XLR connector from their manufacturers...

…Sadly, however, folks...

…I must be honest in reporting that the wrong information from sales people (such as that individual from Thomann) is very common everywhere, not just in Europe or in the USA.

It's often not the individual's fault, either. In many "off the record" chats, such staff have freely confessed to me that they are have been instructed to "push" certain products by bosses for whom the actual truth may not have been accorded a high priority.

That's but one of the reasons that actual users' reports to these forums are so valuable.

...I think I will give it a try. If it works, I'll report so as you suggested. If not, you'll find a cheap AKG Microphone with minor malfunction in eBay ;)...

...it needs to have the proper sensitivity for the intended use. Some of these mics have very low output sensitivities...

That (typically) excellent reply from Don makes me think, Werner, that I really should have mentioned (regarding your your few Euro cents' investment in that tiny resistor) how you should probably buy a few other values at the same time (say 2kΩ, 5kΩ and 15kΩ, for exactly such gain adjustment during your trial of adapting your C520.

Or, if you happen to have a 10kΩ log potentiometer on hand, you could also cobble together a really revealing bench top trial …and only invest those precious cents on a resistor of exactly the value derived from measuring the setting of that pot which gave you the best results.

Even though you may have been quite reckless in "gambling" with your huge (1 Euro ?) outlay, :lol: you might also like to have a listen to how the gain is affected by having no resistor at all, just that red wire connected to both pin 2 and pin 3, or with that pot turned down to zero.

You can be assured that the 5 volts (or so) of DC from pin 2 of your XD-V beltpack will not damage your mic.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users