Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Theory: Do You Notice When Workbench Loads Your Guitar, Your Guitar Model Sounds Like An Acoustic That Isn't In The Models? (natural Piezo Sound?)

I've noticed when workbench is loading the flash memory of your guitar, it goes to an acoustic sound, but it sounds a bit thin and nothing like any of the acoustic models available on the variax.

Do you think this is possibly the dry signal sound of the piezos? Does that technically mean it could be possible to have a completely dry piezo sound with modeling off? (In theory)

Why do you suppose Line 6 didn't offer a dry mode that bypasses modeling?

I too have noticed this.  I believe that this is the dry Piezo sound.  Piezo's pick up high frequencies better than mags do.  That's why they work so well on acoustic guitars.

Yeah. I know. I think that's why they used it for modeling. It makes sense because it has a broad and flat frequency response compared to magnetic pickups. 

When you're modeling guitars, what you'll want is how the string sounds before it goes through a magnetic pickup (raw string sound), and piezos are the best in that regard.

I just think maybe bypassing modeling would be a nice feature if you just wanted to hear what the piezos sound like, or if you prefer the sound of the piezos directly. While you can't beat the modeling on a Variax, it would be nice to have that option when it's clearly possible.

The new HD firmware allows for "neutral body" and by pass any modeled body tone (I think), so all they really need to do is ad a "neutral pickup" or "raw piezo" option.

• Upvote 1