4 replies to this topic

#1 69tele

69tele

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:46 AM

Hi folks ,, recently bought a used Variax 300, the b string however sometimes seems to lose  volume and crackle.

If i wiggle the saddle about it comes back to life and then after a few days it happens again

any ideas ?

Thanks !

#2 silverhead

silverhead

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 11422 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:21 AM

Could be that the b-string piezo is failing. Could also be a loose connection of that piezo to the circuit board beneath the bridge. You could check the connection by removing the backplate of the V300, and/or the bridge. It's fairly straightforward to figure out the required dis-assembly and re-assembly.

Here's where you can get a replacement piezo:

https://www.globalfu...ode=98-030-0034

But if you're replacing one you should consider replacing them all:

https://www.globalfu...ode=98-030-0035

And if you're replacing them all you might want to consider upgrading to Graphtech piezos:

http://www.graphtech...2b-8aabfaacbd6a

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
.... John Lennon

#3 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1147 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:34 AM

If you decide to replace the piezo's the Graphtech are way better and each one has it's own ground wire.  Your piezo is probably losing it's ground against the string.  This drove me nuts so I upgraded to the Graphtech on my 500.

#4 69tele

69tele

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 08:51 AM

guys just had some time too look into doing this the 300 has no backplate other than the batt compartment.

I assume I need to take the bridge apart ?

happy holidays !

#5 clay-man

clay-man

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 12:42 PM

B string piezo has gone bad.

You will need to take the bridge off. That's how I replaced my D string's piezo.

You will need a soldering iron to remove the old piezo and then insert the new one.

There are fixes you could try before you try buying a new piezo.

You could try to clean the back of the piezo and the piezo pocket on the b string's saddle. 

I did stick copper wire between the piezo and saddle on mine before and it fixed it for a while, but it went out again and I eventually replaced the piezo piece.

Sadly, I have highly acidic hands, and that piezo piece is already rusted a bit.

If you are interested, you should check out the Graphtech Ghost system like someone mentioned above. It's an immense upgrade from the stock LR Baggs piezos, and you will never have the grounding problem again unless you wired it badly.

For a minute there, I lost myself.

Radiohead_bear-728286%5B1%5D.png 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users