10 replies to this topic

#1 HDProJohn

HDProJohn

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:40 PM

For you guys doing home recordings, which plugs have you really liked for single tracked guitar or even guitar busses; no need to open discussion for drums, bass, 2 buss, etc.

Recently, I found great results with the Antress Modern Console EQ on a slightly overdriven dual amp Fender patch. It really warmed up the track and brought out the highs in a clean manner.

http://www.vst4free....alog_EQ&id=1175

Looking for other go-to's to try out.

Thanks.

#2 BlueViolince

BlueViolince

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:50 PM

Studio devil british valve custom. Freeware, sounds awesome. Put Softube Saturation Knob after it (also free) for some extra dirt.

#3 HDProJohn

HDProJohn

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:57 AM

Wait, you put another modeler on top of the already modeled signal? Doesn't that just make too much distortion, especially for multi-tracked rhythms? Distortion is compounding, so I try to track with fairly low distortion, even if it's a metal/rock track.

I saw some YouTube videos on the Saturation Knob - looks pretty cool.

#4 scottyo78

scottyo78

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:10 PM

Oh (HDProJohn) grasshopper... you have much to learn. ;)

There are many Marshall user who put distortion units in front of their overdriven amp.

The rule is "if it sounds good to you, then use it". :P

With the HD500, I typically will switch on either the Tube Comp of the Screamer in front of a dirty amp sound.

To me, it either pleasantly boosts the volume, adds more highs, or adds more grit... all typically for solos.

#5 BigChas52

BigChas52

Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 2704 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:20 PM

Don't forget the freeware version of POD Farm 2 http://line6.com/podfarm

and

IKMultimedia's AmpliTube 3 Free http://www.ikmultime...cts/amplitubecs

#6 HDProJohn

HDProJohn

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:27 AM

Scotty, no no no, I'm quite familiar with setting up signal paths and using plugs. That Studio British Devil is essentially a copy of what the Pod is doing, so I found it a bit strange (amp/cab/mic emulation) layered on top of it. Of course OD boosters are common!

Here's my last band where I did all mix routing and plugs (excluding vocals): https://ofempiresoff...l.bandcamp.com/

I started this thread because we did half of the mixing at a local studio and the other half on another band member's computer, with plugs I can't use (old, old laptop). So, I was simply looking for good freeware alternatives.

Big Chas, definitely! I somehow was lucky enough to be offered PodFarm 2.5 FREE from L6 for doing a survey last week. Looking forward to checking out the SVT amp.

#7 BlueViolince

BlueViolince

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:11 PM

I use the studio devil plug with guitar straight into the interface. I won't record guitar through my pod unless I have no other option. Now, my electric violin is another story. It actually sounds better through the pod direct than with a mic'ed amp. As for guitar, I prefer to track as simple a chain as I can, and add any other effects in post. So typically, overdrive and/or eq and compression is about it for tracking. Any other effects would be parallel tracked with the uneffected signal, or added afterwards.

#8 HDProJohn

HDProJohn

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:47 AM

Ahhhh, gotchya. I bet that would be a lot of fun to be able to plug and play with a violin.

#9 BlueViolince

BlueViolince

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:56 PM

It sounds like fun, but it's more of a headache.  I just did a tracking session with my electric through the pod, and also with my acoustic mic'ed, and there was no comparison.  The acoustic violin is just too complex to recreate effectively from a piezo signal in the studio.  I will have to play around with different mic'ing techniques, and see how it goes.  Maybe reamping the direct signal is the key.  

#10 HDProJohn

HDProJohn

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:35 PM

I play the violin using a MIDI keyboard and rewiring into Reason... Ha!

#11 BlueViolince

BlueViolince

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:53 PM

Hey, string vi's are getting better and better.  Soon, the only thing separating us from keys will be the techniques and articulations which are impossible on keyboard. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users