Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Freeware Plugs For Guitar

HDProJohn

For you guys doing home recordings, which plugs have you really liked for single tracked guitar or even guitar busses; no need to open discussion for drums, bass, 2 buss, etc.

Recently, I found great results with the Antress Modern Console EQ on a slightly overdriven dual amp Fender patch. It really warmed up the track and brought out the highs in a clean manner.

http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?plugin=Analog_EQ&id=1175

Looking for other go-to's to try out.

Thanks.

• Upvote 1

Wait, you put another modeler on top of the already modeled signal? Doesn't that just make too much distortion, especially for multi-tracked rhythms? Distortion is compounding, so I try to track with fairly low distortion, even if it's a metal/rock track.

I saw some YouTube videos on the Saturation Knob - looks pretty cool.

Oh (HDProJohn) grasshopper... you have much to learn. ;)

There are many Marshall user who put distortion units in front of their overdriven amp.

The rule is "if it sounds good to you, then use it". :P

With the HD500, I typically will switch on either the Tube Comp of the Screamer in front of a dirty amp sound.

To me, it either pleasantly boosts the volume, adds more highs, or adds more grit... all typically for solos.

Scotty, no no no, I'm quite familiar with setting up signal paths and using plugs. That Studio British Devil is essentially a copy of what the Pod is doing, so I found it a bit strange (amp/cab/mic emulation) layered on top of it. Of course OD boosters are common!

Here's my last band where I did all mix routing and plugs (excluding vocals): https://ofempiresofficial.bandcamp.com/

I started this thread because we did half of the mixing at a local studio and the other half on another band member's computer, with plugs I can't use (old, old laptop). So, I was simply looking for good freeware alternatives.

Big Chas, definitely! I somehow was lucky enough to be offered PodFarm 2.5 FREE from L6 for doing a survey last week. Looking forward to checking out the SVT amp.

I use the studio devil plug with guitar straight into the interface. I won't record guitar through my pod unless I have no other option. Now, my electric violin is another story. It actually sounds better through the pod direct than with a mic'ed amp. As for guitar, I prefer to track as simple a chain as I can, and add any other effects in post. So typically, overdrive and/or eq and compression is about it for tracking. Any other effects would be parallel tracked with the uneffected signal, or added afterwards.

It sounds like fun, but it's more of a headache.  I just did a tracking session with my electric through the pod, and also with my acoustic mic'ed, and there was no comparison.  The acoustic violin is just too complex to recreate effectively from a piezo signal in the studio.  I will have to play around with different mic'ing techniques, and see how it goes.  Maybe reamping the direct signal is the key.