Your face pressed up against the glass

#23 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:20 AM

I think that expecting the JTV to switch models totally cleanly while playing isn't realistic. 

#24 phil_m

phil_m

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 5290 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:25 AM

I was actually testing this out last night on my JTV, and while there is a very slight drop, it's nothing that very noticeable to me. I suppose if you are switching pickups or models during a sustaining chord, it will be noticeable. If you have any delay in the tone you're playing, though, it will help to make it a lot less noticeable. I've been playing out with my JTV for the last year and a half and it's honestly not been anything I've ever thought of.

Time is a train
Makes the future the past
Leaves you standing in the station

#25 wolbai

wolbai

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:13 AM

Well,

I am not searching for peanuts to make my day. I have respond to the original post here which has brought up that point.

And yes there are for sure (playing) workarounds for that as there are lots of other workarounds user need  to develop to adapt the equipment to their specific needs.

I am not technical experienced enough to say whether this is realistic to be solved by a future firmware or not. I tend to say that it is unrealistic too.

But I am experienced enough to say that this is a wrong modeled guitar behavior:

Any standard guitar with magnetic pickups deals pretty well with pup-switching when playing HI GAIN sustained notes from position 5 to 1 (I am not talking about pup-switching between breaks or pup-switching on clean tones or anything else). And this is NOT a matter of taste. The only matter of taste in that respect is whether this is something someone feels disturbing or not. I do.

The signal chain itself and the amount of sustain which is in there is influencing the degree of awareness in that respect. And it is also different whether to play with a band or when recording. The most noticeable awareness is recording.

As audio speaks for itself: Here is a short recording. Just one sustained note. The first one is in JTV-modelled mode (JTV89F) switching from pos. 5 to pos. 1. The second take is with the magnetic pickups of the JTV89F:

http://www.soundclic...2&q=hi&newref=1

I do hear a difference and this difference is VERY noticeable to me.

Finally:  the pup-latency in a modeled JTV-mode as I have noticed and described is not a show stopper to me. The opposite is still the case. But my rig usage has gone through a learning curve. And I am using my JTVs / POD HD / DT50 rig remarkably different than 2 years ago like any other player which takes his rig seriously.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

THE RETROMANIAC

Gear: JTV 59, JTV 69, JTV 89F, Godin Progression, Godin Seagull, Gibson Les Paul Deluxe, POD/HD500, DT50/212, DT50/Head, Marshall JVMC212, RIVERA Rockcrusher, Radial JDX Reactor
website: http://www.soundclick.com/wolbai  Band: http://www.jump-backtorock.de/

#26 phil_m

phil_m

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 5290 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:28 AM

I do hear a difference and this difference is VERY noticeable to me.

I can hear a difference, too, but even when you're switching the magnetics, I kind of find the jump from one sound to another like that kind of annoying. It's not something I would ever really do even with a traditional electric guitar. I guess I'd say that no technology is perfect. There's limitations with any piece of equipment. This particular issue is probably something that most people wouldn't notice very much simply because changing pickups during the time a chord or note is ringing out is relatively rare.

Time is a train
Makes the future the past
Leaves you standing in the station

#27 arislaf

arislaf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1038 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:37 AM

Well, it is REALLY noticeable, as wolbai showed, and it is limiting. I really don't expect or hope to be solved since it is a hardware stuff (processor) on this jtv, but I hope that the next variax will have the good quality of the 1st generation variax and the sound quality of the jtv, WITHOUT the use of the work arrounds...On the variax the technology was perfect enough, only the sound was different...And yes, I also feel disturbed when it happens for those milliseconds that I lose the sound on the modeled pick ups.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: variax, processor, jtv

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users