Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Looper Is Falling Behind!

gunpointmetal

So the last few weeks I've been having an issue with the looper. I start a loop and begin an overdub, and about the third time the loop comes back around the original layer doesn't match the overdubs anymore, and the longer it goes on, each consecutive layer gets further, and further out from the original. I recently updated to the newest firmware after this started as an attempt to right the looper and it seemed to be working normally for a few days. But its starting going out again and we play to a backing track during one part that I use the looper for lots of layers and I can't do it if the loop gets out of wack after a few bars....This thing has gotta be past its warranty and there is no way I'm paying someone a buttload of  money AND shipping to get it looked at. Just so everyone knows, I've been using the looper in performance with hardly an issue since the day I got it practically, so its not a matter of my timing or no knowing how to use it. Is it possible the switches need to be calibrated so they trigger at the right time. I haven't noticed patches on the Record/Overdub button lagging during changes or anything...

thanks to any and all with any advice, helpful or otherwise!

WYPIWYG - What You Play Is What You Get.

It is NOT a quantizing looper with midi synch of anykind...You need a performance looper (like BOSS) to do that sorta stuff...The HD Looper is a basic utility looper that is more of a novelty for performance (What you are trying to do will never work reliably). It is more useful as a tweaking tool where you set it pre and use it to match volumes and put finishing touches on patches. 

I suppose it's possible that there's a hardware problem but I really don't see how. There is no way the looper can lose any synchronicity between 'passes' of the loop because there is no synchronicity to begin with. The device has no concept of bars or tempo so there's really no way it can 'fall behind' on different passes. There is no 'right time' for the footswitch triggers to activate; they activate the instant you stomp on them.

The likely explanation is that unless you and your drummer are robots your timing and hence your 'beats' will vary from loop to loop. Not much, but enough to notice while overdubbing and, especially, during repeated playback of several overdubbed passes. The longer the loop, and/or the more numerous the overdubs, the more pronounced this discrepancy will be. The looper knows and cares nothing about this.

Obviously we're not robots, but we didn't have a single issue until recently. I will try to record an audio file. What starts off as a continuous loop develops a hiccup where the record/overdue button was used to play the loop. Anytime its gotten out of time in rehearsal it was still playing the loops consistently, but I made the loop too long or short and its noticeable immediately. This starts out fine and gets worse.