Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What Amp To Use With Pod Hd?

jimixx

Ok so the thing is I bought a POD HD 300 a while ago and now I need a new amp. I don't really have much experience with amps, so don't really know where to start looking? Solid state or tube amps? Should I be looking for amps with FX loop? I was looking  at a Fender Blues Junior amp a while ago. Any thoughts on that?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks ;)

If you are staying with the HD300  or especially if you are considering upgrading to the HD500 I seriously advise you to consider the L2T as your "amp".  The L2T just gives you so much more in terms of flexibility than the L2M and the DT it really needs to be on your short list for consideration.  I have the DT25 and really wish I had known enough to have gone with the L2T.  The DT is nice but just does not have the performance options and flexibility the L2T gives you and the tone is really just as good even without the tubes.  And for about the same price including 2 channel mixer built in, L6 link integration...  Plus you can use it for PA, monitor, MP3 playback, acoustic amplification, vocals, and on and on...

• Upvote 1

I prefer a tube power amp but I'm mostly into high gain stuff.  The tubes just give it that in-your-face-punch that I've never been able to get from solid state.  FX Loop is a requirement if you get a standard guitar amp.  Either way, it still sounds good.  It comes down to what best fits your needs and wallet.

Maybe a better way to phrase your question about amps is: I have X amount of money, I play these types of songs, I play live in small/medium/large venues, what's some amps that may fit my needs and why ?

• Upvote 1

if you are using both electric and accoustic patches then you should seriously look at the L2t or L2m.  The L2t and L2m are the same execept the L2t has a mixer.  THe extra functionality of the mixer is about $100.  In either case, I think if you do a blind testing with the L2 in the fold you find out 2 things. 1)  The electric patches are pretty darn accurate. 2) The accoustic patches are phenomial. 

• Upvote 2

I play through a blues jr with studio/direct output mode. I tried the "correct" combo front output but studio/direct sounds better.

In the pod I use the blackface deluxe full amp model with drive set at 83 (still relatively clean tone). Blues jr settings are: reverb 3.5, master 11, middle 8, bass 10, treble 2, fat switch on, volume 2. The high master/low volume pushes the amp and works well with pod overdrive pedals.

Together this gives me a lively clean tone and I use tubescreamers for crunch and heavy crunch tones. I've been happy with the blues jr/pod combination. It's worked well live in a medium theater environment.

I have a HD400, and I use it as a pre for my old Rocktron Velocity power amp plugged into a 1x12" Marshall cabinet (although I wish I had a 2x12" or a 4x12"): this doesnt change my pre sounds with extra tweaking or, even worse, gain, and gives me a warm natural sound.

I have connected my HD400 to combos, but they all change my sound: I like my clean, crunch and hi-gain tones from the POD and I think just connecting it to a good (guitar) power amp is the best solution.