Ok, so I have had my JTV59 Variax for 2 months now. It is connected to a POD HD500 and then out into a pair of Tech21 Power Engine 60s. I also have the EX1 expression pedal. Here are some things I've learned:
- EQ is your friend to tame low frequencies from the guitar into the POD
- The extra expression pedal is WAY more handy than I would have expected initially
- MEAMBOBOs guide is extremely helpful in explaining what needs explaining
- I should NEVER play the Variax/POD/PE60 setup immediately after I've played my 50th Anniversary Strat into my Princeton Reverb. You know why...
- The Dr. Z amp model is a resource hungry biotch, but it sounds fabulous.
- I've never heard a Park amps before, but I do like the models in the POD a bunch.
- The metal models often sound like an angry wasp in a jar to me...no offence to the Devil Horns crowd.
- Andy Paredes of Line6 can design the crap out of some classic artists tone in a POD HD500/x, and I am grateful for that
- Sean Halley can play really good, and his videos are helpful -- could use more of them (Ditto Andy's)
- Some of the effects in the POD are really, really good. Others are gimmicky or just plain wierd. Very cool.
- When you nail a tone, it is a joyous moment and you can spend the next several hours playing the same song you designed it for
So yeah, not perfect by any stretch, but it is FUN -- and that my friends is the thing to know.