Here is the verdict on the whole podXT, powerpack, and GX farm issue:
Great experience with Line6 Support last night!!
In call they were able to:
- Transfer the model packs that came with my usde XT but sat in the sellers out account (basically merge into 1 account I am using now so less issues down the road). I'm good to go
- After seeing they could not get my XT "hardware only" powerpack to register and be used with farm, they gave me the real version of it that farm can detect now. (note: you need to express that your tones really use this from gearbox and XT and that you really need them in farm - just ask nicely. They will have to ask a manager and this is a gift from them. I was really happy to see that they did this as a customer courtesy.-I got lucky i guess)
- While on the phone and waiting they also answered some tech questions on if I should keep my POD XT for anything other than standalone player with the older gearbox tones (I will actually comment on this later in another post as I still have some opinions on this)
- The XT as a dongle does not work to give you any packs with farm (at least my version that came with GX). This was also one of the compelling reasosn I also gave to ask for the power pack in the version that farm could see.
- If you run through the XT as a pre amp for your tone before headphone or your actually amp, It will have 3X the volume on the same tone going through just GX .....so a tone with 3.5 on the volume with XT needs to be 10 on the GX to sound the same in headphones (this is with headphone monitor all the way up too). So this makes sense the POD XT puts out way more
- Per line6 .....XT is not a clean pass through (close if you make a tone and save it onboard that is NO effects), but according to the senior tech who works on POD XT you still are doing some reprocessing after Farm. They also have seen others add a booster peda; after GX if you need more out of your tone or want to get POD XT amp power clean
my licencing issues are solved and I can use farm with all my packs (4)
Next is to dive into farm and also note in post the differences as to why use XT as a ASIO with farm or if XT is even needed. I will make a post on some experiences and as I have more time to experiment.
All good news and hopefully others can benefit from the luck and information I have here.