Photo

Tbp12 Flat Option? (& Lavaliers For Television Dialog)

eq flat

Best Answer RonMarton , 17 December 2013 - 11:39 AM

It depends on your application, Fulgerite.

That Shure mic works well with TBP12 beltpacks and is a fine sounding and rugged lavalier, but (in common with the majority of lavaliers) the WL93 is omnidirectional, so feedback can be an issue with some rigs.

Line 6's "stock lav", their LM4-T, is far less prone to feedback, being a cardioid directional. 

It's also very cheap and has a frequency response that has worked really well for quite a few of my "presentation type" spoken word applications, albeit being more susceptible to handling noise, wind noise and/or clothing "rustle".

In addition, I find it somewhat more prone to mechanical noises transmitted along its cable than more expensive mics, should it not be correctly clipped on with that cable properly "anchored".

You may also find this paper to be helpful: 

http://line6.com/sup...v70-transmi-r14

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Fulgerite

Fulgerite

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:47 PM

Perhaps I am missing something?  But it seems odd to me that the TBP12 Beltpack supplied with my XD-V75L does not offer any option for a flat frequency response option?  I want to use it for sending a direct signal from a portable keyboard. (With an appropriate cable adapter & attenuation pad.)  But I don't see any way to disable the low frequency roll off.  The SF1 setting seems to have the least amount of EQ.  But I don't see any option for NO EQ.

Yet... The less expensive system XD-V55L DOES have a flat EQ option.

What am I missing?

#2 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:56 PM

...What am I missing?

:D Nothing at all !

It's the table of "Models" in the instruction book that's "missing something", Fulgerite !  :rolleyes:

Once you've "selected" your way to the "Model" mode on your TBP12 beltpack, keep pressing select and the beltpack will eventually present you with an "Off" option for al models, the "flat" setting you're seeking …and that I've used for countless keyboards and remote "replayed" sources of "fully mixed", full-spectrum sounds.

You may also be very pleasantly surprised (as I have repeatedly been) at how often NO attenuation is actually required when using a guitar-jack to TA4 adapter from the "mono" outputs of many keyboards.

#3 Fulgerite

Fulgerite

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:13 AM

On another note...  What do you think of the Shure WL93 mic?   Is it a significant upgrade over the stock lav from Line6 ?

#4 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:39 AM   Best Answer

It depends on your application, Fulgerite.

That Shure mic works well with TBP12 beltpacks and is a fine sounding and rugged lavalier, but (in common with the majority of lavaliers) the WL93 is omnidirectional, so feedback can be an issue with some rigs.

Line 6's "stock lav", their LM4-T, is far less prone to feedback, being a cardioid directional. 

It's also very cheap and has a frequency response that has worked really well for quite a few of my "presentation type" spoken word applications, albeit being more susceptible to handling noise, wind noise and/or clothing "rustle".

In addition, I find it somewhat more prone to mechanical noises transmitted along its cable than more expensive mics, should it not be correctly clipped on with that cable properly "anchored".

You may also find this paper to be helpful: 

http://line6.com/sup...v70-transmi-r14

#5 Fulgerite

Fulgerite

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:51 AM

Thanks Ron.  That's excellent info.  Since most of my applications for this system will be for capturing dialog from TV talent... feedback is not an issue.  The omni pattern is less sensitive to head position changes and generally sound a bit more natural for dialog recording in my experience.   I do occasionally use the system for live stage work but 90% of my use will be capturing speech dialog.   Cable noise can be an issue.  I have used TRAM TR50's a lot for dialog recording.  I am hoping the WL93 can provide a less expensive (disposable) alternative?

Sounds like the LM4-T is better for stage performance and the WL93 will work well for dialog recording on a quiet set.

Thanks!

#6 Fulgerite

Fulgerite

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:09 PM

I did a test today with the WL93... And I am quite impressed.  The WL93 handles outdoor wind much better than a TRAM or Countryman.  The WL93 does not have the bottom end of those other mics... But I think Sure made a nice compromise here.  The sensitivity and clarity of the WL93 are similar to the TRAM & Countryman... but with a steeper roll off of the bottom end which makes it handle outdoor wind much better.

I am not saying it's a TR50 or an E6... But it cost me $68 and it works great for dialog recording outdoors.  I think it's a good choice for anyone looking for a good speech quality lab.  (Beats the HECK out of the stock Line6 lav for sensitivity and clarity in my opinion.)  Just my 2 cents.

#7 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:45 PM

Aah, the Tram TR50...

…Takes me back over 20 years to when they first appeared.

(I was then the Sound Supervisor on a "Disease Of The Week" medical soapie …and planted many a brand new TR50 on cast members.)  :wub:

...I am not saying it's a TR50 or an E6... But it cost me $68 and it works great for dialog recording outdoors...

Well, (ahem) …No.

It isn't… …and it did and does.  :)

We've also found that the WL93's "less isolating" nature (in common with many other cheaper omnis) means that, when concealed in garments, it often "blends more smoothly" than those better credentialled alternatives, for the purpose of providing otherwise unobtainable "mixed in" coverage in tandem with a fishpoled overhead shotgun or cardioid that's picking up our widely shot foreground dialog.

Given your application, (and at great risk of "teaching Granny to suck eggs") I'd like to point out a dirt cheap accessory that I've used for decades to brilliantly "tame" both clothing and cable rustle whenever there's a need to "hide" omnis taped under acoustically transparent (we hope) garments.

It's this: http://www.bhphotovi...unt_Single.html

That Sanken RM11 mount is also able to "create" an acoustic "slot" for valuable top-end boost, should its top "edge" be slid past (on the "camera side" of) the capsule it's enclosing.

...(Beats the HECK out of the stock Line6 lav for sensitivity and clarity in my opinion.)  Just my 2 cents.

Depends where, though, doesn't it ?

That Line 6 LM4 lav (that's effectively "tossed in" for free) DOES actually work very well for many of my "lecture theatre" and "conference" PA jobs, …in which omni lavaliers (at any price) will simply NOT provide enough gain before feedback.

In so doing, it also sounds a heck of a lot more natural to my old ears than many of the far more expensive (and often far bulkier and gargoyle ugly) directional lavaliers.

#8 Fulgerite

Fulgerite

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:06 AM

I just discovered that the LM4 that came with my system is defective.  (It's picking up RF noise like crazy and is very noisy.)  So I should probably reserve judgment before condemning it.  Line6's excellent tech support will be sending me a replacement.

That Sanken RM11kinda made me laugh.  I used to make something similar using an xacto knife and a little block of high density foam.  The Sanken version is a bit more professional looking.  ;-)

#9 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2518 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:32 PM

Hard to say without trying it. Send me a PM and we'll figure it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users