Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Found A Solution For Failed Device Detection Or "no Authorized Device" Issue On The Pc *finally*

I feel compelled to post my experience regarding this issue in the hopes that it may help out those of you who are struggling with this problem.  It appears that in many cases it might be believed that the device is defective.  

The is the second time that I have experienced a disappearing, failed detection, "no authorized device" problem on a PC (Windows 7 64bit).

This is the first time, after countless hours over a period of months, that I have been able to restore functionality.  Though I have over 25 years of experience in IT and I would have liked to pinpoint the very specific cause of this problem, I was unable to do so.  I was able to get it working again which is enough for me.  I'd like to post my scenario here and urge you to try what I tried and post the results.  It's possible that someone else might understand exactly what component corrupts and where it is located and how to deal with it.  Line 6 developers are in the best position to analyze this and provide us with the appropriate fix or information, but so far I don't see any such information or a fix forthcoming.

Most likely this problem may be the result of a few issues, one possibly being a defective device.  In other cases the problem might be remedied by all the other suggestions found throughout the forum.  What Line 6 support was able to provide via the forums as well as other helpful forum members did not help me.  I am pretty confident that it is more of a OS and software/driver issue than a hardware issue as both the machines feature entirely different chipsets/platforms.

The first incident happened about 2 years ago, the most recent occurred a few months ago.  I've spent countless hours on numerous occasions reading every forum post that might address such an issue.  None of the proposed solutions restored functionality to my device.  The first time this happened, I literally had to re-install Windows to get it work again.  Luckily on that machine I didn't have much installed at the time.  

In both cases, the device and software had been installed and functioning well at one point in time.  At some point, however, there must have been some sort of driver or software corruption that persists despite all efforts to uninstall, reinstall, and try different USB ports and cables.  The idea of a corruption that persists despite complete uninstall and reinstall attempts has been mentioned elsewhere.

I have been using these Toneport/POD Farm devices for at least the past 5 years.  I have grown accustomed to some of the models and really wanted to get them working again on my main rig.  I have been, however, dismayed at the handful of issues that appear to crop up in the forums and elsewhere that seem never to be solved.  That, however, did not deter me.

In my case the POD Farm device would be detected by Windows as a USB device and seemingly function as an audio interface.  However, Line 6 Monkey, the License Manager, and POD Farm Standalone would not be able to detect it as an authorized device.  Because of this, not only could I not use these each of these pieces of software, but the POD Farm plug-in would fail to authorize the appropriate models, leaving me in the "trial" mode.

I have used my POD Farm device on 5 different systems.  These systems run Windows XP 32 bit, Windows 7 64 bit, and OS X (Lion and Mavericks).  This problem I experienced on a Windows 7 64bit AMD system (HP Desktop) and an old Windows 7 64bit Intel system (ASUS P5W DH motherboard).  

During this recent incident, the POD Farm device and software would work on the XP machine, the other Windows 7 machine, and the two OS X machines.  But it would not work on my main Windows 7 machine anymore.  So I knew that this unit was functioning.  Had I only one system, someone might have convinced me that I had a malfunctioning unit.

As before, I tried all the commonly suggested remedies.  I tried all the USB 2.0 onboard, "non-hub" ports, I tried a plethora of different cables, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software in so many different ways and with reboots in between.  I installed and uninstalled previous versions of drivers, including the Gearbox and POD Farm 1 installation packs.  I tried manually identifying and deleting all the files that seemed to be associated with the each install... and then more reboots in between.  On more than one occasion I spent quite a bit of time manually hunting down and deleting as many registry keys as I could find.  After the second attempt at this, I gave up even trying to keep track of the keys I deleted as nothing would help.  I even tried many of these things in safe mode.

Finally after all that I began to even try simple uninstaller utilities.  Two of the most popular utilities I have used in the past failed to make a difference.

This time around I had just uninstalled POD Farm 2 and installed the original Gearbox.  This, needless to say, did not work again...

I then began to see if there was a utility that could attempt to analyze what an installer was installing and modifying.  I found a free utility called Advanced Uninstaller Pro which seemed to have the ability to monitor an installation.  The idea was to use it to create a profile of the Line 6 POD Farm installation as it installed, and then use that profile to uninstall everything that the Line 6 installer added or modified.      

I installed the utility and the first thing I did was use it to simply uninstall the Gearbox installation (without working with the monitoring function).  After it uninstalled Gearbox it asked me if I wanted it to scan the system to identify any bits left behind, which I consented to.  After that was done, I then closed all miscellaneous running programs as it suggested and then had it monitor and launch the Line 6 POD Farm installer.  After some time it created a profile... which then I was going to use with the software to uninstall POD Farm cleanly and completely.  Before doing so, I decided to fire up Monkey and License Manager.  Lo and behold it detected my device!  No need to even uninstall the monitored installation!  Apparently this utility was able to remove whatever corruption or invalid information that the Line 6 Uninstaller or my own manual efforts could not.

It seems like a simple solution.  If all this were to happen again, I have no guarantee this would work again.  I'm just happy I have everything finally working on my main system.  My hope is that anyone with these detection issues gives this a go and posts back with the results.  Again more might be involved here but I tried everything.   I have no vested interest Advanced Uninstaller Pro other than the mere fact that it was able to solve this long standing problem.  Nor can I vouch for any of it's other capabilities.  I had noticed that the Line 6 uninstaller left quite a bit behind after uninstalling the software.  It is unfortunate that it was unable to remove whatever it installed or modified that leaves the persistent corruption in place despite numerous installs and uninstalls.

If you made it through this book and have this problem, please post back to see if this indeed worked for you.

Regards,

K.G.

• Upvote 1

I helped another individual with a very similar problem to mine.

The issue appeared to be the same as mine.  In this case it turned out, however, that the problem was solved by closing a resident Belkin router utility that was automatically starting up.  Not sure how this conflicted with the detection of the Line 6 device.  In the past I have closed, removed, or disabled all the usual security utility suspects, at least temporarily.  But this was a strange one.

This just goes to show there are a few different reasons why such a problem might happen.  It also highlights the importance of not ruling out other programs as causing the problem.

Regards,

K.G.

I always use a third party uninstaller which does the normal uninstall and then does a deep scan to find all the crap left behind, especially in the windows registry.  Very often a program will uninstall but leave all its config details behind and when you try to reinstall it sees that old data.

Very good advice to know exactly what programs and services are running in the background and closing disabling those you don't need...

All this highlites the fact that Line 6's software developers need to step up to the plate and update their software so there are not these issues for others in the future.  There have been NO updates for firmware in some time, I can only hope this is because they are owrking on brand new versions of everything.

Edited to add:

Maybe this article explains something - what will be in store with a new 'boss'?