Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How Do You Remove The Model Knob?

• 2 months later...

I just started having trouble with the selector knob as well.  The top of the knob (chrome piece) will not stay in the barrel that is the model selector.   I don't want to use glue because of the push on/of function could be harmed.   Does anyone have any other ideas and possibly a photo or explosion diagram?  

This is no way for a new $1000 guitar to behave.   Elderly instruments will be hearing about this one today!

I just started having trouble with the selector knob as well.  The top of the knob (chrome piece) will not stay in the barrel that is the model selector.   I don't want to use glue because of the push on/of function could be harmed.   Does anyone have any other ideas and possibly a photo or explosion diagram?  

This is no way for a new $1000 guitar to behave.   Elderly instruments will be hearing about this one today!

Thousand dollar guitar....1/4 cent Chinese plastic knob. You do the math....sucks, but it is what it is.

• Upvote 1

I approached Elderly instruments and received the following reply:

"Our apologies for any trouble with your Variax Guitar. Unfortunately we are no longer a Line6 dealership which is why we were closing out this line of products from our inventory. So we are limited to how we can be of assistance with the knob problem. Still we'll do what we can to help."

Note: there is more text - and to their credit, the reply was fast and they offer a return.  The never mentioned the closeout due to not being a Line 6 dealer - but that's no big surprise.  

I went on to ask about the "setup" that all of their guitars are to experience - I was told they put this one through a setup prior to making it a saleable item - I guess its just not the same as the $65 setup my luthier does.

At any rate I will do with super glue... Thanks all for your awesome advice.  

few tiny drops of super glue... its been done a few times by other forum users... not a huge issue.. but it does happen.

high 5. If you put just a little, it'll be enough to hold it in place securely, but just little enough to break off if you ever need to take it off again.

I took off my knob and the tab that stops the knob from spinning past custom 1 and custom 2 kept being higher than the obstruction so I used super glue to make sure the knob stopped rising up past that point again.

Well... I don't like it.

But far be it from me to not take the sage advice of this impressive forum:

So - using the super glue gel (allows for micro application) placed three small drops (globs) at 12 , 4 and 7  o clock  onto the chrome plated knob insert and placed knob insert into drum formed by the model selector switch - glue set up in a few minutes - tested OK.

That should hold it - I hope I never need to remove the knob insert.

Remember kids - having a dream rig is scary, but it's never boring.