Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Would You Own More Than 1 Jtv?

Would you own more than one JTV?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Would you own more than one JTV?

• Yes
    • No

Hey guys

Well, the question is pretty straight forward...would you own more than one JTV?

Does being the same (variax wise) makes it kinda hard or redundant to justify owning 2 or more different models?

Let me know why...your thoughts!

It would be a little redundant seeing as how they would really have all the same models, but I have a 59 and if I could afford it, might want to add one with a tremolo bridge. I would also be interested in another if they ever released either an updated acoustic version, or a hollowbody electric version.

I own both a JTV-59 ( for the Les Paul Neck feel / ergonomoics) 

AND a 

JTV-69  - for my Strat  / Jeff Beck excursions.

And despite the hype - I use the Mag Pickups 80% of the time on both.

Why?

In 2013 despite all the breakthroughs I remain in the camp that still considers playing through a DSP guitar  / pickup modeler remains in the same realm as thinking an iPAd pinball game 100% replaces a real 1961 arcade pinball game  if you close your eyes and imagine really hard, you "almost" get in the same ballpark as the sound  ./ tone of playing the guitar being modeled, but with DSP modeling (Roland, Line6, Antares) there always remains a 2 dimensional quality on these systems, that an experienced player who knows and uses the tools provided with "real deal" vintage electric guitars will be able to pick out (or put down ) the Variax in seconds. 

But I remain an advocate of DSP modeling, as it solves many logistic hurdles for the gigging musician who can only bring one guitar to the gig.  

• Upvote 1

I have a 69s and I would love a blood red 89F, for 3 reasons

1)The colour

2)The graphtech piezo

3)To replace the mags with dimarzio d activators

Though that both would run the version 2, and that my favorite would still be my old Variax 700.

allow me to throw a spanner in the works...

No, no and no - oh wait that may have been one too many nos. ;)

No I wouldn't buy a second, cos I wouldn't buy the first.

I am firmly entrenched on the Strat/floating bridge side of the hill.

I owned a 600, then as I started playing more regularly (I hesitate to say professionally, tho I have no other "work"), I figured a second instrument is necessary in case of string breakage.

Yeah, yeah, I hear the Gibson/fixed bridge camp holler from over the hill - if I didn't have a floating bridge etc etc...

I just don't like playing Gibson style guitars OK? The necks are too chunky and I tend to steer away from most C@(< rock style music the Gibson fans tend to gravitate to. (Lookout - incoming!!!)

Different strokes etc... whatever...

Bottom lines for me in a working guitar are:

1 Playability

2 Looks

Without even trying the JTV's, they are UGLY (my opinion). The only one which moderately attracts my eye is the 59, but it would have one of those big chunky necks that the Gibbos are renowned for, Bleargh.

The 69 has the same old 2 post tremolo system which will inevitably give bad tuning stability, and in the long run fail, due to metal fatigue at the pivot points. Exactly the reason I eventually transferred the electrics into a $100 pawn shop bargain (I've mentioned this in other posts, so no need to bang on about it) with Alder body, maple neck, vintage slotted type tuning pegs, vintage style bridge, Graphtech piezos and Tusq-X nut. Painted and reliced in my fav colour for a Strat, Fiesta Red.

This is the second one I've done, so I now have my two players, just how I want them.

I love what the Line 6 gear gives me in terms of tonal flexibility - just not a JTV fan.

Rant over.

Well

I Have a 59, which I bought over the 69 cause they were soldout at the time. The 59 kina grew on me, but I always had that "splinter" in my mind...69, 69, 69...and so I was contemplating buying a 69. I'd have 2 JTV's which would at least be useful as a backup for live situations. 

But, I ended up selling the 59...just today actually...and I'm buying a red 69! So, as my wallet and live gigs can't yet justify 2 JTV's, I'll be sticking with a 69 fo the moment...but If my wallet and gigs get better I'm sure I will get a second JTV!

Maybe a 69s and 59. I never had a Les Paul guitar, but I find them very interesting. The closest I got is my SG, and I believe an LP is the same but with a thicker body and different shape.

I'd get the 69s because I've lately been a Fender-style nerd, and the 69 is obviously the Strat style model. I love my Variax 600 but there's stuff the 69 will have obviously over decade-old technology. Not just that, but a better build quality. The only thing I don't like is the headstock, and the finish could be a little darker for my taste (I'd get the maple fingerboard 69s because I fell in love with maple when I got my 600)

The only thing with the 89 that I like is that it's more like an Ibanez so the action must be pretty low, but I'll assume you can get decently low action on the other models too. I like the floyd rose but in the end it would just be a pain in the lollipop.

So yeah, probably the 59 and 69s, though if I just got 1 it would be the 69s. For now I just have my 600.

although i prefer the SSS pickup configuration, the 69s models just don't look good to me...

the pickguard just looks sloppy and elementary, no thought into it at all.. just "let's cover the hole"

so if/when i get a 69 it will probably be the non "s" model.

i can always drop a bucker sized p90 or something in it later if i feel the need...

with all the modeling i'm not expecting to be that needy though :D

Maybe a 69s and 59. I never had a Les Paul guitar, but I find them very interesting. The closest I got is my SG, and I believe an LP is the same but with a thicker body and different shape.

I'd get the 69s because I've lately been a Fender-style nerd, and the 69 is obviously the Strat style model. I love my Variax 600 but there's stuff the 69 will have obviously over decade-old technology. Not just that, but a better build quality. The only thing I don't like is the headstock, and the finish could be a little darker for my taste (I'd get the maple fingerboard 69s because I fell in love with maple when I got my 600)

The only thing with the 89 that I like is that it's more like an Ibanez so the action must be pretty low, but I'll assume you can get decently low action on the other models too. I like the floyd rose but in the end it would just be a pain in the lollipop.

So yeah, probably the 59 and 69s, though if I just got 1 it would be the 69s. For now I just have my 600.

Being as I currently own 7 and a bag of parts to maybe make 8, and just noticed a bunch on ebay being blown out and am struggling not buy another. I voted yes.

7??? 8??? 9???

Why so many!?!?!?

I completely agree with TheRealZap on the pickguard thing...on the 69 it looks great...on the 69s....hmmmm...no, not good! There's something about the way they go around the bridge PU that just ruins it all!

Well, my 59 was just sent away to its new owner...my new 69 should arrive monday! Merry xmas to me :D

Well since I own a 59 and an 89F I would say yes.  These really are two different guitars in feel and there are subtle differences in the sounds.  I also have two different bands, one an 80s cover band the other an original Prog band.  The 59 is better suited for the 80s band running the 1.9 firmware while the 89F is perfect for the prog band runnin 2.0 firmware.

the 69s models just don't look good to me...

the pickguard just looks sloppy and elementary, no thought into it at all.. just "let's cover the hole"

It's like fat women.When you look at her from distance is ugly, but when she is underneath is very good :) So when i play with the 69s and is in my hands, the way it looks is really nice.

Wow I there are certain things in life I wish I could unsee and that is one of them....  I have a 59 I would have bought the 89f if it was out then, but I would not want more than one.  ( By the way The 59 neck profile is not even remotely close to a gibson Les Paul, it has a much smaller neck profile but beefy to me similar to a fender tele) I often times feel cramped playing it which I never felt with a les paul...

although i prefer the SSS pickup configuration, the 69s models just don't look good to me...

so if/when i get a 69 it will probably be the non "s" model.

i can always drop a bucker sized p90 or something in it later if i feel the need...

with all the modeling i'm not expecting to be that needy though :D

I don't think it looks bad. I just wish there was a sunburst 69s with a maple. That would be perfect. Also, I don't really like the James Tyler headstock. Looks kinda like a deformed thingy.

I do admit one of the reasons I like maple is just because of the look, but I do think it feels nice, doesn't get super dirty either. 

• Upvote 1

I voted yes, as I have the 59 Tobacco Sunburst and the 69S Shoreline Gold. I got the 59 first when they just came out (got it after ~8 months of waiting, finally May 2011) and went through the switch problem, but was treated very well in the process, then had a bridge plating and piezo grounding problem later that summer. It all was sorted out and has been a champ ever since. I shied away from the 69 initially, as I don't care for the super strat HSS layout, but when they released the 69S with SSS pickups, I jumped - fall 2012, when they were having their Dream Rig promotion, so I got it for $200 less than now. I did not have any of the neck problems as noted initially with the 69's.

I've been a Fender and Strat guy for many years, and it just feels right to me. In the last few years, I got into the HB LP style, including my 59, so had kind of gotten used to the relative silence of those. Since I use my physical pickups on the JTV's about 80 or 90% of the time, I changed out the 69S's single coils with a set of DiMarzio noiseless strat style pickups, the Paul Gilbert set, I believe. I was amazed at how quiet they are for hum. I had no problem with the tonality of the 69S's original PU's, just the single coil hum. I will probably change out my Strat's single coils with the same set, I like 'em so much.

Lately, I find myself playing the 69S more than the 59. I always take both to the gigs -- one as backup. I also picked up an HD500X, and have my HD500 as backup, I carry a spare Class D 150Watt Crate amp head also. I've had equipment fail on me at a gig, and do not like the prospect. I'm an engineer, and I believe in contingency planning....

My 2 cents...

Dave

• 1 month later...

7??? 8??? 9???

Why so many!?!?!?

Well:

tele xplant

les paul x plant

explorer x plant

69 with refinish and warmoth neck

firebird xplant coming in 2-4 weeks

billy bo lapsteel xplant next in the pipeline

another 59 that may go into a warmoth flying V, warmoth LP Special body I already have or maybe I get a warmoth starcaster for this one.

I also have a 69 main board I got off ebay. Would love it if I could just use that for the billy bo lap steel, so I would have another 69 ready for a project.

I might pick up another at some point...either another 69, or the 89. Mostly I'm curious if some of the 69's oddities are universal, or just peculiar to mine. My only real issue is with palm muting the open A string with higher gain amps while using any of the drop D tunings (drop D, drop Db, DADGAD). If I rest my hand anywhere near the low E string, I get some odd overtones coming thru...it disappears if I reposition my hand slightly, so it's no deal breaker, but still annoying, as I have to think about it and adjust. Definitely curious if they would all do that...could just be something in my technique that doesn't jive with a sensitive piezo...would love to find that out, but I'm not doing a $1000 experiment right now, lol. Never seen one of these in a music store anywhere near me, otherwise I'd try it out that way...

Yeah, I would. RIght now I have the tobacco JTV59, Korean. My 'backup' guitar is my USA strat, 3 tone sunburst; but it's the weird model, with the roller nut and the humbucker.

So, I would lean slightly toward a 69S, but more likely, I'd go bat-lollipop-crazy and grab a USA /Custom shop. Because what else would I need a spare $5,000 for ? ;)

I realize this probably makes no sense to most, but my #1 turn off to the 69 is the Variax graphic on the headstock... I realize they were probably under the gun to make sure it didn't infringe on the Fender neck / headstock design, but they just went a little over the top with the multiple overlapped logo thing.

Like I said, literally has nothing to do with playability, sound, etc.

I guess I like the feel of the 59 neck; I had gotten used to the strat scale and feel, so this was a nice

alternate to that vibe.

The USA Gretch orange color is interesting, though I lean toward more "classic" colors for no reasonable reason. Looks like they did the same graphic thing on the USA headstock too (pic attached)

post-1188905-0-34795000-1393016911_thumb.jpg

I voted yes, but really, it depends.  I own a JTV 59, and I currently have no desire to purchase another JTV, but if I was a gigging guitarist, and making money from my profession, I would always want a spare nearby.  Electronics are fickle.

So, I would lean slightly toward a 69S, but more likely, I'd go bat-lollipop-crazy and grab a USA /Custom shop. Because what else would I need a spare $5,000 for ? ;)

)

Before you pull that trigger, make sure you dont mind that the USA model has the truss rod adjustment at the heel. From pics I'e seen, is looks like theres a recess to accomodate adjustments without removing the neck, but I'm not sure. That would be a deal breaker for me. I have an older Warmoth neck on a Strat, before they moved the adjustment screws to the headstock...makes me insane. What should be a 4 second process can take a half hour, especially if more than one turn of the screw is needed...and taking the tension on/off the strigns like that deadens them. Never understood that design.

I would have two JTVs -

I have a 700 and a JTV-69. I have also played a 59. While they may have the same electronics/modeling, they play different!!! I don't get the same sustain on a 69 playing a Lester patch as I do on a 59. So for those songs that I want a humbucker patch I would use the 59, conversely I would use the 69 for single coil pickups.

I think the specialty patches/accuoustics it wouldn't matter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't mind having another to compliment my 69 and my Variax 500.  I don't see it happening unless I find an incredible sale though.

+1.

No real reason, just fun to have a complement to my 69 (a 59 or 89).

-Gary K

I voted no, but I do wish I'd gotten the JTV69S as opposed to the JTV59 at times just because I am at heart a Strat guy.  But I have learned to bend the neck a bit which suffices for some warble so I guess it'll do there (except of course for playing any modern Jeff Beck lol)...