Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax Workbench Won't Launch On Mavericks

The system is pretty clean - the only thing that's been installed on it is the bundle that came with the Fishman Triple Play.

Monkey runs and was able to update my JTV-69 firmware no problem.  Launching Workbench gives me this error:

An exception was caught.

java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: cmn.l6java.utils.L6EmbeddedUtils.nativeHideSplash()V
App info: Variax Workbench 1.54 release - build 93 - Mon Mar 31 14:17:16 PDT 2008
Date: 12/20/13 1:11 PM
In thread: Thread[main,5,main]
Java VM Version: 1.6.0_65

Stack trace:

java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: cmn.l6java.utils.L6EmbeddedUtils.nativeHideSplash()V
at cmn.l6java.utils.L6EmbeddedUtils.nativeHideSplash(Native Method)
at cmn.l6java.utils.L6EmbeddedUtils.HideLauncherSplash(L6EmbeddedUtils.java:39)
at line6editbase.app.L6EditorApp.Start(L6EditorApp.java:459)
at line6editbase.app.L6EditorApp.access$200(L6EditorApp.java:42)
at line6editbase.app.L6EditorApp$L6ELauncherBootstrap.OnLaunch(L6EditorApp.java:310)
at cmn.l6java.app.L6App.Launch(L6App.java:194)

Date: 12/20/13 1:11 PM

I think its a problem when using Java 1.6.0_65 and OSX 10.9 Mavericks

Other users of apps that use Java 1.6.0_65 are reporting this too

https://discussions.apple.com/message/23725311#23725311

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On Mavericks - be sure you have changed your OSX GateKeeper to "Lower Security Settings"."

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14370

I hear nothing good about Mavericks with respect to my DAW and plugins, not going near that.

Agreed! I use OSX 10.8 for my Macs  - I have one Mac running  OSX 10.9 Mavericks as a "test bed" -and mostly to run latest FinalCut X for video editing.

But for Audio, there are countless reports of probelms for DAW/ Audio  / Mainstage users  - I suspect things will get worse for OSX Audio folks when Yosemite is released   

https://discussions.apple.com/community/professional_applications/search.jspa?peopleEnabled=true&userID=&containerType=&container=&spotlight=false&showOnlyAnswered=true&q=Mavericks%20

• 1 month later...

I have a Variax 700 and haven't used Workbench since installing Mavericks. I do for the first time today and just like the OP, I get the error:

An exception was caught.

App info: Variax Workbench 1.54 release - build 93 - Mon Mar 31 14:17:16 PDT 2008
Date: 8/2/14 1:44 PM

Stack trace:

at cmn.l6java.utils.L6EmbeddedUtils.nativeHideSplash(Native Method)
at cmn.l6java.utils.L6EmbeddedUtils.HideLauncherSplash(L6EmbeddedUtils.java:39)
at line6editbase.app.L6EditorApp.Start(L6EditorApp.java:459)
at line6editbase.app.L6EditorApp.access$200(L6EditorApp.java:42)
at line6editbase.app.L6EditorApp$L6ELauncherBootstrap.OnLaunch(L6EditorApp.java:310)
at cmn.l6java.app.L6App.Launch(L6App.java:194)

Can't believe the first post is dated December 2013 and Line 6 hasn't done anything about it yet. 

Workbench is no longer being updated... besides your problem is somewhere between mavericks and java and has nothing to do with Line6 other than that's where you see the symptoms of the problem.

perhaps try at least getting the latest version of java... other than that... i'm not a mavericks or java expert although i'm familiar with both.

I have a Variax 700 and haven't used Workbench since installing Mavericks. I do for the first time today and just like the OP, I get the error:

Can't believe the first post is dated December 2013 and Line 6 hasn't done anything about it yet. 

Mmmmh, not sure I agree with you on this one. The issue may be due to Apple's newest OS or Oracle's newer versions of Java, but if Line 6 chooses to stop updating a software, then it's just a matter of time before it stops working with newer versions of OS's et al. So ultimately it's on Line 6.

No idea why they stopped updating Workbench or why older Variax models don't work with Workbench HD, other than wanting to induce users to upgrade their Variax guitars. To me this just makes me want to sell my Line 6 product and not buy one ever again. 

• Upvote 2

they stopped producing the older variaxes long ago... and stopped updating the older variaxes as well...

the java language is independent of the operating system... shouldn't be any need to further update the software...

apple however is a closed OS, and they make changes sometimes that can interfere with Java in the name of security... breaking older programs...

often times they can be fixed by someone that knows how to do some terminal commands etc...

but your error said you have some version of 1.6 java and the latest is some version of 1.7 so i'd start there.

i don't work for line6... but every manufacturer stops supporting their older products at some point...

the original variax guitars were released over a decade ago...  the final firmware update was released in 2006...

the final variax workbench was released in 2012

looks to me like they supported it pretty well over the years...

only thing that has changed is your operating system and java....

i'm not sure how you can come to any other conclusion other than those changes.... well.... they changed things.... in this case from working to not working.

I get it, and made peace with the principle of technological obsolescence a long time ago. Yet, I see a Variax more as a guitar than a laptop. I understand that it's crammed with technology, yet it's still a musical instrument that I also have invested in making it closer to my playing style with the help of a luthier. This means that I cannot use the instrument at its full potential anymore. And whilst I'm ok with that in a laptop, I'm not ok with that in a guitar. 

That's why, as much as I love Line 6 products, I think I'm done with the Variax series. To me a guitar is forever and I'm afraid that's not compatible with the modern industry philosophy. 

it can be made to work very easily... will just take effort... there's even the possibility of a virtual machine using windows xp...

i had the original variax and i made a few changes... after the initial playtime wore off there wasnt alot of use for workbench....

plenty of options without it really... and once you set it up to your liking its something that many people would rarely use...

i use parralells with my mac... but you can also use bootcamp...

take the closed mac system out of the equation and it's likely a really simple deal to install workbench (it will install a working version of java)

in the end though... it is what it is...

if you ultimately dont want technology in your guitar... then the variax isn't for you....

if you value the features enough... then it's worth the effort.

I get it, and made peace with the principle of technological obsolescence a long time ago. Yet, I see a Variax more as a guitar than a laptop. I understand that it's crammed with technology, yet it's still a musical instrument that I also have invested in making it closer to my playing style with the help of a luthier. This means that I cannot use the instrument at its full potential anymore. And whilst I'm ok with that in a laptop, I'm not ok with that in a guitar. 

That's why, as much as I love Line 6 products, I think I'm done with the Variax series. To me a guitar is forever and I'm afraid that's not compatible with the modern industry philosophy. 

• 3 months later...

I have 2 great old Variaxes I've used as backups for my mains and as dedicated slide instruments. I was setting them up to be dedicated slide instruments, one all acoustics with various tunings and the other all electrics with various tunings as well. Opened WB HD to make the patch transfers and found it doesn't support the guitars. Downloaded the old WB software and found it won't load on a Mavericks machine.

I totally agree with the guys above, you can't abandon an entire line of instruments. Pedal devices... maybe. Guitars... def not.

Come on guys, buck up.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

It's been a while, but I want to come back to this thread.

Only one question to Line 6. As there is no software to edit old Variax (Variax 600 in my case) - shall I throw the guitar away???

Shall all those, who bought old Variax guitars just trash them?

I have JT Variax, but it does not help, as Workbench HD cannot "recognise" old Variax guitars.

I understand Apple is forcing me to make OS and hardware upgrades. But, computers' life is short. A guitar shall live a bit longer. I have guitars build in 67' and 69.

I would like to hear official statement from Line 6, as I cannot find nothing like that on your website.

Best,

Miro

EDIT

I think it's time to sell my Variax guitars and never look at that direction again.

Hi,

It's been a while, but I want to come back to this thread.

Only one question to Line 6. As there is no software to edit old Variax (Variax 600 in my case) - shall I throw the guitar away???

Shall all those, who bought old Variax guitars just trash them?

I have JT Variax, but it does not help, as Workbench HD cannot "recognise" old Variax guitars.

I understand Apple is forcing me to make OS and hardware upgrades. But, computers' life is short. A guitar shall live a bit longer. I have guitars build in 67' and 69.

I would like to hear official statement from Line 6, as I cannot find nothing like that on your website.

Best,

Miro

EDIT

I think it's time to sell my Variax guitars and never look at that direction again.

Miro,

I saw this post and also your other one in this thread (http://line6.com/support/topic/23425-announcement-line-6-software-is-compatible-with-macos-sierra/?do=findComment&comment=178274)

I understand that you have an issue about the Line 6 software and the OSX updates, but there are "workarounds".

"As there is no software to edit old Variax (Variax 600 in my case) - shall I throw the guitar away???"

"Shall all those, who bought old Variax guitars just trash them?"

Quick answer - NO! There is software to edit your 600. You just need to use the newer Sierra compatible Line 6 Monkey v1.73 (Sept 2016) and the old version of Workbench v1.75 (2012). No need to trash anything. The older Variax models and the newer HD versions use different (modified) technology, so you need different software to communicate with each one. There doesn't seem to be a "universal language" for all models.

I have both a Variax 600 and a JTV59 model and simply have to make do with using Workbench HD for changing things in the JTV and use the older combination of Workbench and Monkey to hookup to the old 600 through the Variax USB interface . Not exactly an ideal solution, but it works. And, when I think about it, once I have loaded a selection of custom models and alternative tunings into the 600 I don't really need to access the old Workbench all that much. Same goes for the HD version - although it's nice to have it available, it's simply not something I need to use everyday, week or month.

I genuinely hope this helps. There was possibly a little too much sarcasm in the replies to the other post you made!

Best regards