27 replies to this topic

#21 boyce89976

boyce89976

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:51 PM

Try my Dbl Clean patch again but switch to Class A, I forgot and left it at Class A/B.  That means we are running at 10 watts, switch it up to 25 watts and it gets louder!

I think you mean that the other way around?  Class A is 10 watts, Class A/B is 25.  

Class A will run out of headroom and begin to clip/saturate much sooner as you increase volume.  For some reason (I haven't played with it enough yet to figure out why) Class A is louder than Class A/B up to a point.   

Almost all power amps run in Class A up to a certain output.  For example, my Parasound Halo runs Class A up to about 25 watts, then switches automatically to Class A/B when the required load exceeds the Class A bias.  So, it may have something to do with the fact that you can SELECT Class A or Class A/B and "lock in" that class in the DT's, or it could be the way the power amp section in the DT's is biased.  Would love for someone to chime in here that knows more about this stuff than I do.   

#22 radatats

radatats

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • LocationOrange County, NY

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:18 PM

yep, you got me hard on that one... :huh:  

8.  Class A / Class AB SwitchClass A operation is more dynamic with greater touch sensitivity. Use Class AB operation for greater headroom and power. In addition to setting the operating class, this switch also determines the wattage and bias type: When set to Class A the amp is running at 10 Watts and cathode biased. When set to Class AB the amp is running at 25 Watts and fixed biased.  Try both settings with each voicing to see what sounds best to you.

l6+sig+pic-1.png   

#23 boyce89976

boyce89976

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:21 PM

yep, you got me hard on that one... :huh:

8.  Class A / Class AB SwitchClass A operation is more dynamic with greater touch sensitivity. Use Class AB operation for greater headroom and power. In addition to setting the operating class, this switch also determines the wattage and bias type: When set to Class A the amp is running at 10 Watts and cathode biased. When set to Class AB the amp is running at 25 Watts and fixed biased.  Try both settings with each voicing to see what sounds best to you.

Hey, just trying to help!   ^_^

#24 CrispyFunk

CrispyFunk

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:35 AM

i was wondering if your using your amp with the low volume switch on?  i noticed when in low volume mode the sound breaks up a whole lot sooner than if it was in normal tube mode. i use low volume mode most of the time for bedroom levels .

#25 radatats

radatats

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • LocationOrange County, NY

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:42 AM

Personally I do not use the LVM.  Just Pre models into the DT with DT master up and POD master to control volume.  You can also lower the volume with Class AB and Triode mode...  I know Class A is 10 watts and Class AB is 25 but I swear Class A is louder...

I played around with the PHD and the 9/15 models last night and really found some sweet spots.  Very interesting with the double drive settings on the 9/15.  Just learning more about using this gear all the time...

Luckily I don't get too many complaints at home and can turn it up to a decent level...  No work tomorrow (Happy New Year!) so I will be trying out some more new ideas... :D

l6+sig+pic-1.png   

#26 boyce89976

boyce89976

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:32 PM

Personally I do not use the LVM.  Just Pre models into the DT with DT master up and POD master to control volume.  You can also lower the volume with Class AB and Triode mode...  I know Class A is 10 watts and Class AB is 25 but I swear Class A is louder...

I played around with the PHD and the 9/15 models last night and really found some sweet spots.  Very interesting with the double drive settings on the 9/15.  Just learning more about using this gear all the time...

Luckily I don't get too many complaints at home and can turn it up to a decent level...  No work tomorrow (Happy New Year!) so I will be trying out some more new ideas... :D

^  This is exactly how I do it too... LVM just seems a little too sterile.  The way radatats explains gives you tube warmth all the time.

I have changed a couple of old patches over to the PHD (mainly for the songs I play on the Strat)... gives the Strat a really ballsy, fat sound without loosing the jangle.   

#27 grandinq

grandinq

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Locationsoutheastern Mass

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:21 PM

I'm a very happy to report a great update to my original issue!

I replaced the tubes and wow! the amp I knew and loved was back!!!  My clean sounds were clean and loud, and only gritty if I really crank the drive.

Moral of the story for me: make sure to keep those tubes fresh!  

Now I will enjoy my DT25 again....until I read about the Jan 23 "reinvention" of the amp!

Thanks to all who replied.  I am saving you advice.  Great forum

#28 boyce89976

boyce89976

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:00 PM

Glad you got it working!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dt25

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users