Photo

How Do You Use Your Expression Pedal Besides Volume And Wah?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 stumblinman

stumblinman

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:57 AM

Looking for some alternate effects ideas. Decided to use my crybaby pedal instead of always using a Pod Wah model. So now my expression pedal is freed up. Currently I set it up to fade in and out the mix on the barberpole phaser for a little texture during certain parts of songs and solos.

Looking for some alternate and cool ideas that you guys use so I can try out different stuff. Settings would be the most helpful. I know you guys have some great ideas. Let's hear them!

#2 smrybacki

smrybacki

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, PA

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:35 AM

I use mine for a lot of things:

- To morph Reverb level between barely there and "Help, I'm drowning" levels

- Chorus level or rate adjustments

- Univibe rate ALA the original

- Delay feedback to get spaceship whack outs and recover

Off the top of my head...

#3 rwhite137

rwhite137

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:14 AM

One of my best presets is where I use the Expression Pedal to control the amp drive of the Treadplate. I can go from a fairly clean sound to full on overdrive or anything in between. Of course I also control the channel volume level at the same time to have control over the volume from one extreme to the other.

#4 smrybacki

smrybacki

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, PA

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:21 AM

One of my best presets is where I use the Expression Pedal to control the amp drive of the Treadplate. I can go from a fairly clean sound to full on overdrive or anything in between. Of course I also control the channel volume level at the same time to have control over the volume from one extreme to the other.

I use my volume knob on my JTV59 to do that sometimes...

#5 Tommyvee2

Tommyvee2

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:58 AM

I use it like a whammy pedal.  I believe I have it set to go 2 octaves down in the toe down position. 

#6 stumblinman

stumblinman

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:45 PM

I have a whammy setup on my brown sound preset since I use a Les Paul without a tremolo on it.  Works well for that.

#7 joel_brown

joel_brown

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 399 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:36 PM

I occasionally use it for fading in an octave up tone so it sounds like I get that harmonic feedback sustain tone.

#8 radatats

radatats

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • LocationOrange County, NY

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:27 PM

the expression pedal is the single most overlooked feature in the POD.  There is no end to the number of parameters that can be simultaneously controlled within a patch and with no DSP use.  Check out the attached patch for a good example of morphing between two completely different amps with almost every parameter linked some way to the pedal.  This is an area where you can really get creative.

I just got a second pedal and now I am looking to create a whole FX morph with one pedal and an amp morph with the other.  It just opens up so many new possibilities...

http://line6.com/cus...ne/tone/256795/

l6+sig+pic-1.png   

#9 Metalchef

Metalchef

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:33 PM

I plan to use one to control the wife's volume level in the toe position and her nagging level at the heel and a second to turn the lights off and on in my house.
Yes I hear the cries of the carrots.... For it is harvest day and to them it is the Holocaust..... So I say let the rabbits wear glasses....

#10 jandrio

jandrio

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:22 AM

One "exotic" application of the exp pedal is to use it for controlling the key and scale params of the smart harmony effect. For example, the "Hotel California" harmony parts change from B-Harmonic-Minor to A-Major and back again. Another similar examples : "We are an American band" harmony solo (changing from D-MAjor to C-Major), "Highwaystar",etc. You can implement these cool features by assigning the smart harmony params to the max and min values of the exp pedal.

#11 arislaf

arislaf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1095 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:43 AM

as a panner for a ads a/b mixing.

#12 SiCantwell

SiCantwell

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:03 PM

I occasionally use it for fading in an octave up tone so it sounds like I get that harmonic feedback sustain tone.

That sounds cool, I think I'll try that.

I use it for tremolo depth and shape, going from a gentle trem to a square-shaped off-on sound.

I also use it for speed of the phaser (listen to Jerry Garcia's solo in "Candy Man").

Whammy down is fun, but I also increase the amp volume as it dives so the sound doesn't get lost.

#13 BlueViolince

BlueViolince

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:55 PM

I use exp1 to transition from plain acoustic sound to full wet on almost all of my effects.

#14 joemama78

joemama78

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:33 AM

I use it to control the delay repeats on swells so you can create an infinitely sustaining pad, turn off the delay and play over it, then drop it down gradually when you're done.

#15 daedae

daedae

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:08 AM

I have a patch set up that controls the delay time and feedback to make those trippy sounds mentioned above. I also have a bass patch with the expression pedal set up for one of the EQs (I forget which one) to simulate a dubstep wobble (instead of springing for a Hot Hand). And I think I have one that I mostly use for ridiculous noises where the pedal controls some ring mod parameters.

#16 BlueViolince

BlueViolince

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:15 PM

I use it to control the delay repeats on swells so you can create an infinitely sustaining pad, turn off the delay and play over it, then drop it down gradually when you're done.

That's a really great idea, actually.

#17 sergeyyakovlev

sergeyyakovlev

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:27 AM

I have a patch set up that controls the delay time and feedback to make those trippy sounds mentioned above. I also have a bass patch with the expression pedal set up for one of the EQs (I forget which one) to simulate a dubstep wobble (instead of springing for a Hot Hand). And I think I have one that I mostly use for ridiculous noises where the pedal controls some ring mod parameters.

Hey! Any chances to share the patch?

Is it possible to link the tremolo frequency to imitate smth like variable slicer?

#18 cruisinon2

cruisinon2

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:30 AM

I plan to use one to control the wife's volume level in the toe position and her nagging level at the heel and a second to turn the lights off and on in my house.

I know it's an old post, but LMAO... :lol:

Don't forget the thermostat...

#19 stumblinman

stumblinman

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:00 AM

I have used a few suggestions from this post since I started it. There are some very imaginative guys on this forum.

#20 billlorentzen

billlorentzen

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:14 AM

I use it to go from low-volume clean or dirty rhythm sounds to high-volume lead sounds. I usually set up parallel feeds to the amp - one has a tube screamer, the other a compressor or nothing. In these patches I also use the pedal to adjust amp, compression, reverb and delay settings as well.

I like the speed of going from a rhythm sound to a lead sound without looking down and also being able to grab in-between tones, semi distorted or semi loud.

You know how you'll be playing and you want to throw a lead line in between vocals or whatever? With this you just slam the pedal down and bam your whole tone changes. No looking down, no hopping from one button to the other. It's extremely liberating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users