Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Does Any Of You Remaining Vetta Users Have/had/having Experience With 'armin's Mod'?

TheWolf2103

Sorry to "bump" this but it is very interesting for me too. I can get the "right" tone in my vetta ii.

I have of course tried everything :) It was fine a couple of years ago but now my taste in music

has changed so now I have bought a tele on top of my lp and esp and need to get som serious

"keith" sounding growl. I would love to hear from any "armin fans" out there, if they still exist

(sorry wolf for stealing your thread...)

Nik

I have been reading and doing some research on the Mod and it looks to me that "Armins 2.5 mod package" only 

changes the sounds in the cab settings. I wonder why anyone should pay $70 just to get 40 odd new settings on

that? It's only EQ settings anyway. I mean; the package doesn't add anything to the vetta. It's like you're paying

someone money to find you your sound, right?

If you play live and use "no cab" settings it wont do you any good at all in other words. If you use the vetta in your

bedroom I suggest you tweak it yourself, it's the only way to learn. Start with what (ie who) you want to sound like

and use only line6 original amp models plus the loudness "on". When you think you're close then use 4band EQ

to finetune

Good luck

N

Well that makes it even more silly to get it

All that does (apart from showing you what

You can read from the manual) is rendering

Line6 edit useless. You cannot tweak your

settings from a computer after the mod is installed

I say leave it (just my two cents mate)

Correction: you can save and upload your new sounds in line6 edit even after the armin upgrade but you cannot use the edit bit

But if you play with different cabs now I suggest you buy this and try it out

N

My understanding is that he was actually tweaking the algorithms in the code, so it would not be as simple as an EQ fix.  That being said (and I have been using the Vetta since the inception), different is not always better.  I did not get the Armin mod, but plenty of folks on the ION forum did back in the day.  Some loved it, and some did not.  I am pretty sure that if you search ION, you will find plenty of the old information.

http://www.instituteofnoise.com/forum/default.asp

Thanks for your replies guys,

I finally took the plunge & have ordered the toolkit from soundside.de about 2 weeks back & have to say after playing with the different cab options I swapped about a good 70% of my cabs with the Armin cabs ... not all of the cabs (there are 27 in addition to the L6 cabs) are useable for my patches, but the 5 or 6 I chose (so far) sound definitively more open, 'thicker', rounded/organic & balanced through the speakers & headphones on my Vetta II combo. I'm using my VII combo for a good 8 years & so far was happy with most of the sounds I'm getting from the unit & was just curious to try the toolkit after stumbling several times in the last years across this Youtube video: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyd8fClzHxM

... and I have to say I'm liking these additional cabs a lot ... though I'm using comparable (to my ears) 'cab sounds' to the one's I was using in my patches beforehand, all patches with these 'Armin equivalents' sounds more 'rounded' & open (can't think of better words for it) ... don't know what Armin based 'his' cabs on, but they 'make sense' to me & are a nice addition to the existing cab options.

Having the 'real' names for amps, cabs & wha's showing on the display is a nice option, but certainly not essential for me.

Wolf

• 2 months later...

I held off for years on the Armin mods, but caved in and bought them about 3 months ago. I only wish I did it sooner.

I'm getting the best sound out of this thing that I ever did. I tried EQing for years, but was never completely satisfied with the Vetta, but it sounds fantastic with Armin mods. I've been using Armin cab 06 almost exclusively and it sounds very open and natural.

I saved my old presets to the "factory" side and keep the Armin modded presets on the user side. Night and Day difference when A/Bing them.

I'm so happy with it that I just bought another Vetta as a back up. I'm selling my Marshall 2x12, Egnater Tweaker and Blackstar HT1. As big and loud as the Vetta is, it is also by far the best bedroom amp I've come across.

I've been running it in stereo to two 1x12 cabs about 8' apart with using two different amp models and double tracker. It just sounds incredibly huge.

The 'real' amp naming is just the icing on the cake.  

• Upvote 1

I'm getting the best sound out of this thing that I ever did. I tried EQing for years, but was never completely satisfied with the Vetta, but it sounds fantastic with Armin mods. I've been using Armin cab 06 almost exclusively and it sounds very open and natural.

+1  :)

Wolf

• 9 months later...

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone here ever had any problems installing his mods? I recently bought it about 9 days ago and I still can't figure this out. I have been e-mailing ARMIN over and over this week, but I am not sure if its helping? The biggest problem is running the Line 6 MONKEY. He said you can ONLY use updates from 2012 up to before the most recent 1.67.

I have tried 7 different versions on MONKEY and I STILL cannot find one that has the "FLASH/FIRMWARE" tab in the UPDATES?

Anyone here help?

thank you

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I still have my Vetta+ FBV, and I have the Armin Cab firmware upgrade 

For reference comparison,  I made frequency response plots (Several Pages worth) of all factory Vetta Amps, Cabs, and Mic Sims - and made a large PDF for folks to download at VGuitarforums

----

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=88.msg3791#msg3791

Typical Amp, Cab, Mic Frequency Response Curves.
1435034073_1090164788_ScreenShot20150622
Although I developed these tests a few years ago with a Line6 Vetta  - the basic characteristic "EQ Curve" of most popular Amps, Cabs, and Mics are documented here - to get you in the ball park. I think anyone trying to get a decent guitar tone will be better equipped if they understand the Frequency response differences / relationships between:

Amp Heads:  a Fender Twin, and a Marshall JCM-800, or a Peavey 5150.

Speaker Cabs:  A Celestion Vintage 30, Jenson C10Q, or a JBL D130

Mics: Shure SM-57, Seinheisser 421, Neumann U-47 - (both On Axis and Off Axis!) 

Its not off topic to refer to these EQ plots when trying to emulate these sounds with a VG-99 - I view each of the companies (Line6, Roland, Digitech, Axsys) as leapfrogging each other  - its more a function of "who's got the faster DSP and highest bit depth this year?

http://www.vettaville.com/vetta_frequency_plots.htm

(Must be a member of VGuitarforums and "logged in" to download the attached documents) 

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=88.0;attach=919

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=88.0;attach=920

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=88.0;attach=921

• 1 year later...

Best money I have spent in many years! When I bought my Vetta II I was tweaking all the time and playing very little...it simply sucked. After about a year I was ready to take an axe to it...

Now with the Armin Mod...I play it and tweak very little...It is now a definite keeper.