45 replies to this topic

#1 Vettaville-nl

Vettaville-nl

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1595 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:36 AM

From the online translator, from the Japanese pressrelaese, including mistakes..

#2 Vettaville-nl

Vettaville-nl

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1595 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:39 AM

aaargh, you can't copy

#3 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14811 posts
  • LocationClemmons, NC USA

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:24 AM

It's real: http://line6.com/press/releases/1520 Line 6 to be Acquired by Yamaha Corporation

Yamaha Corporation’s acquisition of Line 6, Inc. creates a powerful force to drive innovation and inspire musicians.

CALABASAS, CA – 20.Dec 2013 - Yamaha Corporation and Line 6, Inc. today announced a definitive agreement for Yamaha to acquire Line 6, a leading manufacturer of innovative solutions for musicians. The acquisition expands Yamaha’s portfolio of modeling guitar processing products as well as pro-audio equipment, and offers new and exciting opportunities for accelerated growth for both companies.

Line 6 products have been at the cutting edge of digital audio development for musicians and audio professionals since the company pioneered the digital modeling guitar amplifier in 1996. Line 6 continues to deliver innovation and excellence across its industry-leading portfolio, including POD® multi-effect processors, digital effects, guitar amplifiers, modeling guitars, a range of professional instrument and microphone digital wireless systems, digital live sound mixers, speakers, as well as iOS interfaces.

Under the terms of the agreement, Yamaha will operate Line 6 as a wholly owned subsidiary to fully realize the compelling opportunities for the two brands with Line 6’s operations continuing as before and its management team remaining in place.

“I am very happy that Line 6, which has been creating innovative products and creating new market opportunities consistently over its history, will become a member of the Yamaha group. We look forward to accelerating our growth strategy by pursuing the beneficial effects from both companies and by utilizing Line 6’s core brand power centered on guitarists that is so highly regarded worldwide as well as its unique technology, planning and development capabilities” said Mr. Takuya Nakata, President of Yamaha Corporation.

“For over 30 years of developing products, and even further back to my earliest memories as a developing musician, Yamaha has been the brand for which I have always had the most respect,” said Line 6 co-founder and Chief Strategy Officer Marcus Ryle. “Yamaha has consistently set the standard in our industry for quality and innovation, and I am very proud for Line 6 to now be a part of this incredible legacy.” "Yamaha’s acquisition of Line 6 will help accelerate the realization of our vision to drive innovation for musicians across the globe,” said Line 6 CEO and President Paul Foeckler. “We’re proud that Yamaha recognizes the innovation and value in our people, IP and processes and we’re excited about the opportunities ahead to expand our reach”

Outline of agreement

1. Based on the resolutions adopted by the Line 6 board of directors on December 19 and the Yamaha board of directors on December 20, a definitive agreement has been executed regarding the acquisition of all of the capital stock of Line 6.
  2. Yamaha will acquire all of the capital stock of Line 6 owned by the founders, venture funds and employees.
  3. The transaction is expected to be completed during January 2014 after receipt of customary regulatory approvals.

Wells Fargo Securities, LLC served as financial advisor to Line 6, Inc. and Kirkland & Ellis LLP served as legal advisor to Line 6, Inc.

#4 radatats

radatats

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • LocationOrange County, NY

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:43 PM

Wow... that should be great news... serious capital and a very quality control committed organization.  I would expect some serious new product rollout in the next year in order to capitalize on the merger and create buzz...  Very interesting

l6+sig+pic-1.png   

#5 RIblues

RIblues

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:19 PM

Well, hopefully it turns out to be a positive. But, I think that it will be a couple of years before we can say conclusively.

We have no idea what Line 6 had planned for the next couple of years and what they have been working on. The same for Yamaha, what's their plan? Will Line 6 be allowed to continue in whatever direction they were headed? Or will Yamaha toss it and send them in another? Does Yamaha like the Line 6 modeling? Or do they feel that their's is superior? 

Until Yamaha comes out and presents their vision and we know for sure what is going to happen with the Line 6 "division", don't get too comfortable.

I remember reading a post in the TGP forum from a Line 6 employee stating that they were very excited about 2014 and that they have been hard at work on a lot of things. I wonder how excited he is now?

#6 bsheen

bsheen

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:49 PM

Could be a good thing if L6 was short on capital to improve the things we have been speaking/wishing of.

#7 silverhead

silverhead

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 11094 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:08 PM

I remember reading a post in the TGP forum from a Line 6 employee stating that they were very excited about 2014 and that they have been hard at work on a lot of things. I wonder how excited he is now?

Maybe this is why why he was excited?

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
.... John Lennon

#8 RIblues

RIblues

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:15 PM

Yes, great point! They are posting over there now and appear to be pretty excited about 2014 so it looks like good times ahead.

#9 jeffgtr60

jeffgtr60

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:08 PM

Not to rain on anyones parade but, typically it doesn't end well for the company being purchased. Every time you read about an acquisition like this they say "operations continuing as before and its management team remaining in place", 6 months out this is seldom the case. Curb your enthusiasm until you see how it shakes out. Something like this is never about improving the quality of the product, it's purely money.

I've used Line6 products for quite awhile and it sure would be a shame to see the ship go down.

I'm trying to think of a Yamaha guitar product I've been jazzed about and I'm having a hard time coming up with a single one. Anyone?

#10 DeanDinosaur

DeanDinosaur

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:35 PM

Yamaha is a great company. This is good for everyone. Even Yamaha's cheap guitars are excellent compared to guitars double the price. Yamaha's modeling amp THR is pretty good. They also had G50 guitar to midi controller also outstanding.. Many of their professional audio products have 3 years warranty.. not 1 year  like line 6.      .Line 6 has been upgraded! Trust me.

#11 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14811 posts
  • LocationClemmons, NC USA

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:36 PM

that's exactly why yamaha would want to buy line6 in my opinion...

because line6 is good at what yamaha is not....

and yamaha has expertise in electronics manufacturing etc... that will probably help put line6 to the next level...

and likely at a lower cost....

i'm also not sure what will ultimately happen... but looks like a good fit...

yamaha's been in the PA market for years... and line6's one entry into the market slayed anything they've ever offered...

I'm trying to think of a Yamaha guitar product I've been jazzed about and I'm having a hard time coming up with a single one. Anyone?

#12 jayson2

jayson2

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:52 PM

Can't say that I'm happy about this based on my experience with what Yamaha did with the 01x and mLan. A lot of people invested in their systems and were abandoned by them so I'll be sitting on the side line for any new technology they come out with.

Cheers,

jayson

#13 Brazzy

Brazzy

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:42 PM

Yamaha makes good dirt bikes. Been using them since '76.

Attached Files

I mostly play at home and my own music which is more of a bluesy Jazzy Rock mixture as I'm still learning how to play guitar so when I post a reply to try and help give ideas you know where I'm coming from. In a nutshell I'm always learning and having fun doing it. Rock-On!! Oh, and if I don't respond promptly I'm probably playing guitar or my computer locked up from multitasking 'cause I'm using Gear Box, HD500 Edit, Audacity and tab filled browsers all at the same time, Hahahaaaa. Surprisingly enough my 'puter handles the load more times than not.

DT50_and_DT9901.pngStrat_X3Pro.pngBerm.pngThe_Arsenal.png

#14 spikey

spikey

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:49 PM

Albertsons bought out United Supermarkets around here, and the peanuts are still on isle 5. Planters is still making them, and I hope the same thing happens with Line 6 and their products... Yea I'm playing Fractal Audio stuff now but the point is still a valid concern, which I'm fixing to get to... Yamaha May make great sounding keyboards but as far as guitar amps go, they are in need of L6 as much as the pod boys must need more capital. For the moment, it sounds great. OTOH, I think it would be a shame to see Line 6 just disappear like an Oldsmobile, swallowed up inside a bloated monster called profit margin rescue and capital gain adjustments. And I would also go as far to say that no one in the Yamaha CEO boardroom knows what a real amp is supposed to sound like, or cares. As long as it turns a profit and isn't a liability according to a select few bean counters. And that idea should now be Line 6's worst fear... That for what ever the reasons, they are no longer in control of making the peanuts or steering the olds... Ymmv....

#15 stumblinman

stumblinman

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:48 PM

I actually work for a company that was family owned for 80 years before being sold to an "Asset Management" company.  We were almost out of business, but they trimmed both hourly and salary, improved production and reduced costs, and we were sold again a few months ago for 1.125 billion (with a b ) dollars.  Not all buyouts are bad.  We are almost back to our pre-sale employment levels, but now we are actually making money.  I will wait and see.  I think it's a good thing.  Yamaha has an excellent track record of running a business.

#16 innovine

innovine

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:34 AM

Yamaha's multi12 drum pad is the worst piece of gear I have ever bought, and I am very angry that a company would even attempt to put such a bad product on sale. I have no words to describe how bad it is. I feel completly fcked over by yamaha. It will be a long, long time until I buy something yamaha again. I'll be looking at kemper when my pod dies

#17 DeanDinosaur

DeanDinosaur

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:34 AM

.... And I would also go as far to say that no one in the Yamaha CEO boardroom knows what a real amp is supposed to sound like, or cares. As long as it turns a profit and isn't a liability according to a select few bean counters. And that idea should now be Line 6's worst fear... That for what ever the reasons, they are no longer in control of making the peanuts or steering the olds... Ymmv....

And you believe that the owners and founders of line 6 are in it mainly for something other than profit! They can be in it for the love of music,  making great products available for the masses and all that good stuff, but if they don't get their profits in line, they would be history. They're making a good move in both direction, profits and products. Without profits there are no companies, no amplifiers or guitars.

#18 radatats

radatats

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • LocationOrange County, NY

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:28 AM

Yamaha's multi12 drum pad is the worst piece of gear I have ever bought, and I am very angry that a company would even attempt to put such a bad product on sale. I have no words to describe how bad it is. I feel completly fcked over by yamaha. It will be a long, long time until I buy something yamaha again. I'll be looking at kemper when my pod dies

Why on earth did you buy it if its so bad?  Didn't you try it first? Why didn't you return it? I have personally had Yamaha gear for years and it has always kicked lollipop and never failed.  I had an awesome Yamaha receiver back in the day and I wish I still had it.  I am very happy Yamaha bought them rather than say Roland who may have taken the tech and killed the products,  I think this will elevate modelling to the next level across the board...  :)​ 

PS - Yamaha also owns Steinberg.  Perhaps there is an avenue to collaborate more on that end too with Cubase, Pod Farm, Reason etc...  As much as I like my Line 6 hardware, I see plenty of room for improvement and upgrades in the software and interface realm...

I am not direspecting your experience but a thorough search of reviews for the DTX-M12 turned up nothing but very positive reviews from trustworthy sources with the exception of an external editor.  There have been more than 15 sold in the last couple of months on eBay average of $500 so they aren't hard to unload.  I just don't think we can judge this entire corporate transaction or the future of Line 6 products off your one unfortunately disappointing experience.  I think the majority of those with Yamaha products will testify as to a positive outcome...

l6+sig+pic-1.png   

#19 innovine

innovine

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:54 AM

I bought it on the internet without testing. Reviews didn't quite reveal just how bad it was. I can't sell it, because no one wants one. A total flop that cost yamaha any future business from me. I have absolutely no respect for a company that drops such turds onto unsuspecting customers.

#20 DeanDinosaur

DeanDinosaur

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:55 AM

PS - Yamaha also owns Steinberg.  Perhaps there is an avenue to collaborate more on that end too with Cubase, Pod Farm, Reason etc...  As much as I like my Line 6 hardware, I see plenty of room for improvement and upgrades in the software and interface realm...

Pretty soon they might start bundling a limited version of Cubase with the PODs and that might be enough for many who don't need a full fledged DAW. I think there will be more value to line 6 products with Yamaha.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users