#1 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:15 AM

not my best version, but I like the sound I found, which I'm sharing with you...

I played this tune countless times years ago (with a different equipment), and I recorded what I still remember of that beautiful song "Europa" by Santana with my Variax 700 and HD500..

for those interested the link is here:

https://soundcloud.c...rghanico/europa

the settings are under the soundcloud track as usual

Happy New Year!

#2 radatats

radatats

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationOrange County, NY

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:36 AM

another epic production... well played!  Do you create your own backing tracks too?

l6+sig+pic-1.png   

#3 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:02 AM

another epic production... well played!  Do you create your own backing tracks too?

thanks radatats.. :)

I created in the past and sometimes I still do several backing tracks, but this one isn't done by me, but I like it and I didn't feel the need to do another one by myself..

speaking instead of the guitar sound that I found, I like it but it's more similar to the more recent Santana productions which I like a little less than the older ones, especially the studio recorded version sound of "europa" has a fantastic sound to fall in love, and I have to tweak something a little more to get there.. admitted that could be possible :unsure:

and also I recorded it while listening with my headphones, so I could not take advantage of the natural amp feedback to get the typical endless sustain of Santana, I could have insert a compressor but it is not the same thing..

#4 gckelloch

gckelloch

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:52 AM

You know, you should be able to get feedback at normal listening volumes through speakers if you set up a dual path preset where one path has a lot of Big Muff or Fuzz Face type distortion.  Set the other path for the type of sound you really want, and record each path full side-panned to it's own track, discarding the really distorted path recording if you want. 

BTW, once again the LP Jr model sounds really great on there.  You can just tell its a SC in the attack.  HB's also of course have some various phase-cancelling from ~1-4kHz depending on the string and position.  In that respect, they are actually inferior to SC's with regard to definition in a mix.  However, harmonics canceled in that range sweetens the tone as well.  Some SC's have that sort of sweetening designed in.

#5 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:27 PM

You know, you should be able to get feedback at normal listening volumes through speakers if you set up a dual path preset where one path has a lot of Big Muff or Fuzz Face type distortion.  Set the other path for the type of sound you really want, and record each path full side-panned to it's own track, discarding the really distorted path recording if you want. 

ingenious trick, I'll collect this original idea for future use, but at the moment I have to use my headphones to record..

I imagine that the sustain supporting very distorted sound could disturb the inspiration during playing, but could be useful..

I have also a vague memory of a trick said time ago by a banned member of this forum: MerlinFL

if I remember correctly to get the feedback sustain he used to put the speakers of a very loud headphone very close to the guitar.. crazy solution!!.. but it seems that worked..

#6 gckelloch

gckelloch

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:34 PM

Hmmm...that might work.  I prefer to use something external for feedback rather than an Ebow, or Sustainiac.   I had a sustainiac for a while, and it sounded great, but I like to control the feedback with my body movements -- seems more natural...and the ladies like it too. :D

I remember i could not listen to Europa when I was teenager back in the 70's without tearing up.  I must say I felt a little of that feeling hearing it again for the first time in 30 or so years.  It's seems to invoke youthful passion and the pain of unrequited love.

#7 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:04 PM

...but I like to control the feedback with my body movements -- seems more natural...and the ladies like it too. :D

absolutely agree ;)

ladies ladies ladies...he he he... that's why we like very long sustain.. :D

#8 arislaf

arislaf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1035 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:05 PM

I have also a vague memory of a trick said time ago by a banned member of this forum: MerlinFL

΅wait, why banned????

#9 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:12 PM

΅wait, why banned????

I don't know really..

but if you look for him between the forum members you'll see that near his MerlinFL name is written "banned"

#10 arislaf

arislaf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1035 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:14 PM

BTW awesome playing and tone as always !! :)

#11 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:16 PM

BTW awesome playing and tone as always !! :)

thanks Aris :)

#12 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:46 AM

here is another version of "Europa" using a different guitar model and a couple of different settings than the other one..

https://soundcloud.c...nico/europa-bis

I'm still not able to get the exact original studio recorded fantastic sound, but anyway also this one is a good very usable sound, somewhat more bluesy..

(still using the single input approach) ;)

for now I give up, it's not so important, this research was more for fun, and my immense passion for the guitar world..

#13 gckelloch

gckelloch

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:09 PM

Those Firebird mini HB's were pretty low inductance as I recall.  I think they had brass covers which reduced the highs, so you'd often end up with extra presence with a steep roll off in the upper mids somewhere.  My impression of them is they were often pretty tinny, but a low capacitance cable would probably smooth out the tone nicely without the need for the brass cover. 

I like the chirpy neck PUP sound you got.  I really liked the tone with the volume rolled down.  Most PAF type PUP's would be too dark without a treble bleed in the circuit.

#14 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:53 PM

Those Firebird mini HB's were pretty low inductance as I recall.  I think they had brass covers which reduced the highs, so you'd often end up with extra presence with a steep roll off in the upper mids somewhere.  My impression of them is they were often pretty tinny, but a low capacitance cable would probably smooth out the tone nicely without the need for the brass cover. 

I like the chirpy neck PUP sound you got.  I really liked the tone with the volume rolled down.  Most PAF type PUP's would be too dark without a treble bleed in the circuit.

wow... you're a wealth of knowledge :o ..

very interesting things and details to know.. thanks for sharing :)

I've never been very attracted by the bizarre shapes guitars, also because sometimes I like to play sitting, but the Firebird has a cool sound, and being just a model in my case, I can play with that sound comfortably sitting with my 700..

this search for the sound of "europa" has been very productive for me ..
I discovered this combination Firebird - Mesa Dual Rectifier that is killer ..

a great sound for blues-fusion, which I used yesterday to record the guitar arrangement of the song by a friend of mine, great dynamics and expressivity, a pleasure to play with it.. 

dear gckelloch I have the vague impression that sooner or later a Variax will be in your hands
;)

#15 gckelloch

gckelloch

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:11 PM

Thanks, man.  I've done a lot of research in the last ~10 years on this stuff.   The Firebird was actually a milestone in design with the neck through thicker center/thinner wings design and the low H pickups: the punch being tighter than an LP with long sustain-- probably tighter and longer than an Explorer.  I agree that the Mesa compliments the guitar nicely.

#16 DeanDinosaur

DeanDinosaur

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:16 PM

You are on a roll hurg! very nice playing. Gckelloch is a living breathing Encyclopedia.

#17 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:07 AM

You are on a roll hurg! very nice playing. Gckelloch is a living breathing Encyclopedia.

thanks Dean..

---------------------

gckelloch = living breathing encyclopedia?..

100% agree!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: santana, variax 700, hd500, gibson lp jr, mesa boogie dual rectifier

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users