Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Jtv-59 As Plain Ol' Electric Guitar

I find I've been using the magnetic pick-ups alone on my JTV-59 more and more.  I'm wondering if that's because I'm becoming disillusioned with the modelling as I'm getting more familiar with the tones (I've had the guitar for about six months) or whether it's just that the JTV-59 is rather a good guitar, leaving the modelling aside.  So - I'm curious.  What do JTV-59 owners think of the electric pick-ups and the guitar in use as a normal electric? Thanks

When you decide to buy a guitar, I think it's obvious that you're in it because you're interested in the modeling side, otherwise you probably would just buy a normal guitar.

There's nothing wrong with using the mags though. I don't have a JTV, but it's fun to go back to basics now and then.

It's all very subjective, I own the JTV-89F and while I consider the mag p/u to be useless, I love most of the modeling guitars. Again it's all very subjective because everyone has a different idea of how a certain guitar should sound, in my case I have spent several hours tweaking the different models making direct comparisons with the real thing and based in the rig I use and I have found excellent results, it's not easy and the most modeling guitars just like they come out of the box won´t sound as good to me as they do after I have worked on them.

Owning a 69s, is my only single coil guitar I have.Nevertheless, I found the pickups useless, upgrade to Dimarzio, and became awesome.That, and the lame strato of the version 2.0, made me to use mags on many occasions, the tones are really awesome!

Didn't see that about overall guitar...aside the pickups,  the instrument as a guitar, well, no, is also pretty bad construction..the string fall off and the knob of volume going crazy, no way...

Edited by arislaf

I have a JTV-59 that I've owned for a couple of months. I'd have to say that I was initially, and still am very impressed with it as an instrument, aside from the modeling electronics. From day one it played, felt and intonated as well as or better than all the other guitars I tried in it's price range. That includes Gibsons, Fenders, Epiphones, Gretches, anything else I tried out at the time to compare to. I like the stock pickups - I thought about replacing them someday for Lollars or some other high end 3rd party pickup, and may do that eventually, but they are not bad at all, and don't sound muddy to me.

Does it compare to a $30,000 vintage LP? or a $3000 - $5000 custom made instrument? Probably not but I can't afford to be a guitar snob (wish I could), and I haven't had any issues with it. I think it stands up on it's own merit as an instrument pretty well, even without the guitar modeling, which no one else has.

• Upvote 1