3 replies to this topic

#1 davidiancross

davidiancross

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:42 AM

Hi my spider 3 / 75 watt combo is around 7 years old but has only been used as a back up amp with around 3-4 hours in total maximum use and never gigged during its lifetime,

The other day I turned it on and everything looked OK until I plugged my guitar lead into the input and it emitted a high pitched squeal from the speaker, I changed the lead and same result, I attached a guitar to the lead and plugged in, same result and no sound from the guitar, with or without the FBV Express short board attached, I did a factory reset, no change, it is when the jack makes a contact inside the input socket when the noise starts, there are no abnormal smells, all the panel lights up as it should, any ideas anyone apart from throw it in the bin ?

regards

Dave C

#2 bchiodini

bchiodini

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:05 PM

Dave, I have the same problem with an identical amp. It doesn't seem to matter what I put in the 1/4" jack. I tried a plastic rod and the amp squeals. The rod does not need to contact anything inside the jack, simply be inserted a short distance.

Have you found a solution, before I open it up?

#3 davidiancross

davidiancross

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:45 AM

No I haven't got a solution as yet other that the local boutique amp maker, Maughan amplification said they would bench test it for £30 , however the magazine "Guitarist" are to feature my problem in next months Q&A section of the magazine so watch this space. So whether that means the end of January or end of February magazine, I'm not too sure, I may just take it to be bench tested and get a quote for repair or wheelie bin!
Regards
Dave C

#4 bchiodini

bchiodini

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:41 AM

Dave, Replacing the main board fixed the problem for me. It was purchased from fullcompass.com. $92 US. Troubleshooting revealed, no 5 volts on the input board. The 5 volts is sourced on the main board, but I couldn't find an accurate schematic to trace the problem any further. I suspect a bad resistor between the 5 volt regulator and the input board.
Bob...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users