28 replies to this topic

#21 Akeron

Akeron

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:50 AM

generally, if the audio interface (is it your POD?) is always the same both for recording and listening, there should be absolutely no difference..

eg if in a different moment you listen again to your recorded tracks using instead the computer soundcard, being the DA converters much worse, the result will be proportional..

also, every time you open a new track in Reaper, is set as a single mono input by default, therefore if you are monitoring your POD in stereo, it'll be recorded in mono in Reaper, so it could be somewhat different, unless you manually select the stereo input in your track..

Well, it turns out the problem was with... my room! I use my monitors in an untreated room that apparently has a deadly bass boost that "embellishes" the otherwise really trebly sound of the pickups of my SG! Changing the settings of some of the switches on the back of the monitors has partially "solved" the problem: now they (the "live" and recorded sounds) both suck! :D Listening to the recorded track with

PC onboard audio interface + Hi-Fi stereo + Stereo speakers + Vlc

it seems the sound is only just a little worse than when I use

External audio interface  + Studio monitors + Reaper

which I also use when playing "live" and recording, but I've noticed that playing "live", when I insert the USB cable from the POD to the PC and even more so when I open Edit, the sound becomes "nicer", don't know why! You're right about the default input settings of the tracks. I thought the default was Stereo (I think the older versions of Reaper defaulted to Stereo) but it's not. Changing from Input1 to Input1+Input2 improves both the "live" and the recorded sounds! Also I have a request: can you record a G chord (3rd fret, 6° string, not the power chord version) with an emulation of the P.A.F (if it has one) on the Variax and the Plexi Brt on the POD, with everything at default settings except Drive at 80%? It would be helpful to have a sonic reference of what they're really supposed to sound like using the POD...

#22 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:24 AM

...Also I have a request: can you record a G chord (3rd fret, 6° string, not the power chord version) with an emulation of the P.A.F (if it has one) on the Variax and the Plexi Brt on the POD, with everything at default settings except Drive at 80%? It would be helpful to have a sonic reference of what they're really supposed to sound like using the POD...

.. when I'll find the time I'll record the the sound of a barre G chord at 3rd fret for you..

but, I have several PAF pickups models in my Variax 700 which sound different form each other, belonging to the Gibson LP standard, ES 335, ES 175..

which one do you need, and also in which position: bridge or neck?

#23 Akeron

Akeron

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:54 AM

I have an SG so I guess the more similar is the Les Paul one. I meant the bridge pickup. Thanks!

#24 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:35 AM

I have an SG so I guess the more similar is the Les Paul one. I meant the bridge pickup. Thanks!

here it is: https://www.dropbox....AF Plexi 80.mp3

everything at default settings except the Plexi Brt drive at 80%

#25 Akeron

Akeron

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:49 PM

Well thank you very much! As I suspected that's surely something horribly wrong with the pickups of my SG. At least now I'm 100% sure where the problem is ;) Now excuse while I watch again thousands of videos of replacement pickups demos trying to convince myself I have to change them...

#26 wattage

wattage

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:56 AM

Fantastic job on this!

Is that a canned background track or did you create it yourself?

#27 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:21 PM

Fantastic job on this!

Is that a canned background track or did you create it yourself?

I think I have 2 or 3 different backing tracks of this song in my archive (6 HDs full loaded with music material of almost every genre)..

I did several backing tracks by myself, but this one in particular isn't done by me..

#28 mgdm74

mgdm74

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:50 PM

Hi Nico. Just want to say thanks for the tones you posted on your soundcloud page. I have been using the Sultans, Lenny Kravitz, and Santana tones, modified slighty and tuned for my main guitar - Godin XTsA with Dimarzio Eric Johnson humbuckers installed - and powered wedge setup.

Your tones are great and I received some positive comments using them for the first time live this week.

So thanks again and keep up the good work!

Marty

#29 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:03 PM

Hi Nico. Just want to say thanks for the tones you posted on your soundcloud page. I have been using the Sultans, Lenny Kravitz, and Santana tones, modified slighty and tuned for my main guitar - Godin XTsA with Dimarzio Eric Johnson humbuckers installed - and powered wedge setup.

Your tones are great and I received some positive comments using them for the first time live this week.

So thanks again and keep up the good work!

Marty

these are good news :) ..

I am very pleased for the good results you've got ..
You have done well to customize the patch for your instrument, it is the right thing to do ..

I thank you for letting me know!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: variax 700, hd500, single input approach

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users