hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:42 AM

Yesterday I had an unexpected unpleasant problem  :( 

while I was creating a patch directly on my HD500 suddenly developed a distorted noise (a sort of wild feedback) that in a matter of seconds has gradually risen exponentially in volume to impressive levels, unfortunately I was using headphones and it was quite unpleasant and painful..
:blink:

the first thing that came to my mind was to take off the headphones and turn down the master volume of the HD500, but the volume had no effect at all, so while the headphones were continuing to fry I finally disconnected them, and I believe I saved them, at least I hope so, I don't know if they have suffered some damages, but at least it seems they still work ..

when this happened, the HD500 was connected to the PC, I was not using the HD500 Edit application, in practice the POD was working also as a PC audio interface, to eventually listen to audio tracks using the headphone output of the POD ..

in that unlucky moment, I was moving a delay in the chain to hear where I liked the most, and suddenly happened the shock, the headphones seemed gone mad .. :o

later, I moved the effect again, timorously I tried to reconnect the headphones and I could not hear anything, neither noise nor sound, and I thought: s.h.i.t! .. I burned my headphones or my POD!...  :angry:

.. but hopeful I tried to select the next stored patch, and then returned to the previous one, and everything was normal and running again.. :)

it was an unpleasant experience, it might be handy to know what was the cause

anyway if it were to happen to you, remember!!.. the first thing to do is: unplug the headphones!!.. ;)

if I remember correctly, I think I read about a similar problem in the past
in this forum, but I don't know if it was solved

#2 phil_m

phil_m

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 5277 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:23 AM

There were people reporting this sort of problem somewhat early on, and it was acknowledged as a bug and dealt with in a firmware update. Are you running the latest firmware?

Time is a train
Makes the future the past
Leaves you standing in the station
Your face pressed up against the glass

#3 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:41 AM

yes, I'm running the v2.20 firmware, after I flashed it (when it was released), I did also the usual following steps: global reset and pedal calibration

#4 phil_m

phil_m

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 5277 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:17 AM

Were you using a patch you created yourself, or was it one you downloaded from Custom Tone? It could just be a corrupted patch.

Time is a train
Makes the future the past
Leaves you standing in the station
Your face pressed up against the glass

#5 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:39 AM

Were you using a patch you created yourself, or was it one you downloaded from Custom Tone? It could just be a corrupted patch.

it was a patch created by myself.. I don't have any patch downloaded from CustomTone or from somewhere else into my HD500.. and also when I flashed some months ago I didn't keep the old patches and I have not even loaded them after.. therefore the POD was completely fresh of firmware flashing, reset and calibrated..

since when the thing happened my POD was connected to my PC, I suspect that the issue could be related to the PC-HD500 driver (which is updated), or something else that has still to do with the interaction between the PC and the POD..  who knows?

#6 katiekerry

katiekerry

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:22 PM

yeah the same thing happened to me I am not sure what firmware I had at the time cause I rolled back. But I just inplugged the power right away and I was ok.  I am not sure if you have a Macbook pro, But thats what I was using (not running Edit or anything just practicing with backing tracks).  It was so painfully loud (I use headphones too)..  I haven't had a problem since (knock on wood).. Good luck though

JTV 59 Tobacco Burst

HD500

Alesis DM10 Studio

#7 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:48 PM

yeah the same thing happened to me I am not sure what firmware I had at the time cause I rolled back. But I just inplugged the power right away and I was ok.  I am not sure if you have a Macbook pro, But thats what I was using (not running Edit or anything just practicing with backing tracks).  It was so painfully loud (I use headphones too)..  I haven't had a problem since (knock on wood).. Good luck though

thank you for sharing you experience!..

I don't have a Macbook pro, I'm using a PC laptop running an always updated XP sp3..

for the moment everything is working fine, just hope it does not happen again, at least I know what I have to do immediately in case of emergency..

#8 NinoScholz

NinoScholz

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:10 PM

Ive had it happen at a gig. Whenever its happened its always been after editing a patch. Hasnt happened in awhile though.

#9 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:39 AM

Ive had it happen at a gig. Whenever its happened its always been after editing a patch. Hasnt happened in awhile though.

thanks.. that's an other clue..

so untill now is still impossible to understand which could be the cause of that issue..

to katiekerry happened while was simply practicing with backing tracks..

to you NinoScholz happened at gig after some patch editings..

to me happened while I was both listening to audio tracks and editing my patch directly on my POD..

the mystery remains still unresolved..

the only consolation is that it seems to happen rarely

PS. Nino, please tell me, you were also connected to the computer when it happened to you at gig?

#10 NinoScholz

NinoScholz

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:09 AM

^^^ Hurghanico - nope, i dont think i've ever been connected to the computer when it happens. I rarely do connect like that. For me, i'm convinced that editing a patch after turning the pod on makes it more likely to happen - or even indirectly causes it. It's never happened if i don't edit a patch after turning on. 

I'd say overall it's happened maybe 4 times to me.. I normally have to turn off the unit. I think even switching patches may have worked at the gig incident to clear it up - can't remember.

But man is that an ungodly sound!!!! holy hell!!

#11 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:34 AM

yes, it's really horrible!.. seem like an elephant to which they stuck a nailed stick in the a.s.s, screaming for the pain that wants to get out from the speakers :o

but do you remember if it happened to you with a specific firmware version, or with more than one?

#12 DeanDinosaur

DeanDinosaur

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:07 AM

You should report this to Line 6, because even though you seem casual about it, many in the past when it started to happen complained about loosing hearing. Line 6 put it on a priority status, since it effects public health, and they released a firmware to specifically address it relatively fast.  Thanks very much for the Heads up.

#13 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:34 AM

You should report this to Line 6, because even though you seem casual about it, many in the past when it started to happen complained about loosing hearing. Line 6 put it on a priority status, since it effects public health, and they released a firmware to specifically address it relatively fast.  Thanks very much for the Heads up.

I'd say you are quite right!..

I'll do it right now!

#14 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:34 AM

I agree that Line 6 should study this because it can damage hearing and damage equipment - headphones, speakers, etc.  It sounds like a FW bug to me based on this post.

#15 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:54 AM

I have just opened a support ticket  ;) 

I'll let you know the developments B)

#16 Brazzy

Brazzy

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:59 AM

I'm with you all on this too. Had a noise like this out of the HD500 once early on in the game and man it was a really nasty loudness that came out my amp, wasn't using headphones. So what I've been doing is turning down the master volume when I make major changes to a patch and then turning it up slowly to make sure it doesn't blair me with unsuspecting nasty loud noise. I havn't had any bad noises lately using this method. I don't move fx positions around with the volume up anymore.

I mostly play at home and my own music which is more of a bluesy Jazzy Rock mixture as I'm still learning how to play guitar so when I post a reply to try and help give ideas you know where I'm coming from. In a nutshell I'm always learning and having fun doing it. Rock-On!! Oh, and if I don't respond promptly I'm probably playing guitar or my computer locked up from multitasking 'cause I'm using Gear Box, HD500 Edit, Audacity and tab filled browsers all at the same time, Hahahaaaa. Surprisingly enough my 'puter handles the load more times than not.

DT50_and_DT9901.pngStrat_X3Pro.pngBerm.pngThe_Arsenal.png

#17 NinoScholz

NinoScholz

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:03 AM

^^ you know what - "moving patches around" could very well be the more specific issue. When i edit a patch, i normally have to copy it to multiple banks, so it's likely i was doing this.

As for the firmware, it was the always the most recent version before this new minor update that just came out (still haven't done that one - my pod is sounding perfect right now, don't want to eff it up). I updated the pod when i first got it last year to the latest firmware right away, so it's always been on that one.

#18 Line6david

Line6david

Line 6 Staff

• 5201 posts
  • LocationLa La Land

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:22 AM

Hi, 

Is it possible for any of you to give specific steps to reproduce the sound? Is it a squeal? A digital noise? Or is the patch just very loud? 

Can I get system info from you all? Operating System and version? 

Have you tried connecting to different USB Ports? 

Are you using a USB hub? 

What driver version are you using? 

I'll check back in a few days for the info. If I can reproduce the issue I can send it up the ladder. 

Thanks, 
David 

#19 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:53 AM

@ Line6david

Thanks for reply here too

I don't know what to do to reproduce that noise ..

I would not call it a digital noise, is more like a very strong distortion increasing in volume very quickly to abnormal levels..

the only thing I know is that the HD500 was connected via USB (no hub) to my PC laptop with Win XP sp3 already updated, I used it as an audio interface to listen on headphones some audio tracks, and at the same time I was editing a patch directly on the POD (HD Edit app not running), and in particular I was moving a delay FX ​​model from before to after the amp model ..

I didn't try to connect to another USB port, since from that time it has not happened again..

I have a USB hub connected to my PC but I never connect the HD500 on it, but directly in one of the free PC USB ports..

my PC-HD500 driver says v4.2.7.1 which I believe is the latest..

PS. another detail: my Variax 700 was connected to the HD500 by the VDI

Edited by hurghanico, 06 January 2014 - 01:06 PM.

#20 talwilkins

talwilkins

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:22 PM

^^^ Hurghanico - nope, i dont think i've ever been connected to the computer when it happens. I rarely do connect like that. For me, i'm convinced that editing a patch after turning the pod on makes it more likely to happen - or even indirectly causes it. It's never happened if i don't edit a patch after turning on. 

I'd say overall it's happened maybe 4 times to me.. I normally have to turn off the unit. I think even switching patches may have worked at the gig incident to clear it up - can't remember.

I'm not sure what you mean with editing a patch after turning on the pod. It seems to me you can't edit a patch without turning on the pod first.

I had this experience recently myself with my POD HD500X (latest firmware and drivers). I don't remember exactly what I was doing at the time but if I hadn't thrown off my headphones I think I would have gone deaf!

The sound is hard to describe but it started soft and turned extremely loud very fast.

I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro

Driver 4.2.7.1

firmware 1.20

USB firmware 1.01

No USB hub

Music is the best (FZ)

the Zombywoof

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: loud noise, feedback, hd500, pc connection, headphones

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users