61 replies to this topic

#41 jcspirited

jcspirited

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:45 AM

OK, thanks for the info. I thought It might be something abnormal.

While I have your attention, maybe you could help me with something else. One of the pins on the usb port broke off (is missing). I'm going to get it repaired. In the mean time, I got a usb to midi interface cable in hopes of backing up presets and set lists.Got it connected, open monkey. A window opens to prompt me to connect using midi. I selected the midi interface (mio cable) for the in and out. Then I need to select the device, but there is no HD500 listed. Am I doing something wrong?

#42 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1384 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:59 AM

OK, thanks for the info. I thought It might be something abnormal.

While I have your attention, maybe you could help me with something else. One of the pins on the usb port broke off (is missing). I'm going to get it repaired. In the mean time, I got a usb to midi interface cable in hopes of backing up presets and set lists.Got it connected, open monkey. A window opens to prompt me to connect using midi. I selected the midi interface (mio cable) for the in and out. Then I need to select the device, but there is no HD500 listed. Am I doing something wrong?

I think that the HD500 con be recognized as a device for editing etc only by the USB connection..

in this case MIDI can be useful only to change parameters like volume, program changes etc. if the receiving POD MIDI channel is the same set on the remote control application

#43 silverhead

silverhead

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 11366 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:42 PM

I think that the HD500 con be recognized as a device for editing etc only by the USB connection.....

That is correct. The usb/midi interface cable will not work.

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
.... John Lennon

#44 rublalup

rublalup

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:17 AM

I dont conect my pod to computer often. I have this same issue a few days back when playing on headphones.

I also have other major problem with my pod and i´m still waiting for some response of the line  guys.

http://line6.com/sup.../page-2?p=34373

#45 PerS

PerS

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 03:37 AM

Hi
Trying to get my nerves in order ... a few minutes ago I was exposed to the noise / distortion issue described in this thread. I did the following when it happened:
  • Started my PC and had logged on.
  • Had started my rack with amplifiers, mixer and sound card. Even my POD Pro sits in the rack but I always start it separate, to minimize the risk of something going wrong (had another problem earlier, low volume issue , but works after that the hardware was replaced, after that it has become routine to start the POD separate... ) . Played some chords. Everything was OK. 
  • Started the editor and then the editor said that it did not find my POD Pro. Everything was up, but no communication.
  • I turned off the pod and editor.
  • Turned on the POD again and started the editor. It started to sync patches and came a few percent when the noise/distortion started . The volume started high and increasing(got a feeling of a feedback as it was growing rapidly). Tried to turn down the master on the pod but it did not help. Turned off the device completely, silence. Also turned off the editor.
  • After a few minutes I turned on the POD again tried it and it worked (after I turned the master up again...) and also started the editor. Everything worked as it should. Loaded  the editor, changed patches. All working as it should. 
Some notes:
  • The patch that was loaded is named " Fingerstyle Blues " and came from customtone.com with no modes except that I have added the loop interface, loaded as second device but not active.
  • I run studio direct to my mixer that is connected to my PA-amp. From POD from unbalanced out rinning at line level. Nothing else connected to the POD except that my Variax goes into input 2 on the backside.
  • I do not use the POD as a audio interface.
  • The soundcard from computer (Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 USB) is also connected to the mixer, unbalanced at line level. 
  • Monkey say that all drivers (4.2.7.1), firmware (flash 2.20) and other software (monkey 1.65, workbench 1.75 and edit 2.23) is OK.

I should probably not guess but it feels like its a driver issue...

Any questions let me know. If someone from Line 6 wants a report from my system let me know, I have a two system reports with detail information, probably too detailed ;-).

Edit - Forgot, It's a POD HD Pro and nothing else... and I do not use headphones.

//Per S

#46 semoses

semoses

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:13 PM

Same thing happened to me last night at a gig. My setup was guitar into HD500 and direct to PA through XLR out Left and Right. If you thought it was loud and obnoxious through headphones you should hear it through a cranked PA, ouch. I was playing around with it this afternoon and the same thing happened again.This time setup was guitar into HD500 and headphones plugged into Phones jack, man that doesn't feel good on the ears. I was editing patches last night and this afternoon but the only thing that I was messing with was the levels through the HD500 mixer, I was trying match the output levels of my patches. I've never had this problem before last night and I've been using the HD500 at gigs almost once a week since November of last year. I thought maybe it might be the newest firmware so I rolled it back from 2.20 to 2.10. Guess we'll see what happens.

#47 Line6Tony

Line6Tony

Line 6 Staff

• Administrator
  • 2278 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:12 AM

Folks, please update your POD HD units to version 2.31 to fix this. Please let me know if you continue to have problems.

POD HD500 RELEASE NOTES v2.31.00

POD HD500 Flash Memory v2.31 is a FREE firmware update for all POD HD500 users. 

This release addresses an issue with audio feedback that could potentially occur when changing patches with a specific combination of settings. It is strongly recommended that all users install this update as soon as possible. 

Although there should be no sonic impact to existing patches as a result of this update, it is recommended that you connect to the POD HD500 Edit application and back up any patches you may wish to keep as a precaution.

Tony Reese
Line 6 Customer Support Manager

#48 smrybacki

smrybacki

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, PA

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:15 AM

Folks, please update your POD HD units to version 2.31 to fix this. Please let me know if you continue to have problems.

This release addresses an issue with audio feedback that could potentially occur when changing patches with a specific combination of settings. It is strongly recommended that all users install this update as soon as possible. 

Although there should be no sonic impact to existing patches as a result of this update, it is recommended that you connect to the POD HD500 Edit application and back up any patches you may wish to keep as a precaution.

Is this a new update?  Forgive me if it's been asked -- I am at work and don't have this is front of me right now.

#49 Line6Tony

Line6Tony

Line 6 Staff

• Administrator
  • 2278 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:17 AM

Yes, we just released it 15 minutes ago.

Tony Reese
Line 6 Customer Support Manager

#50 smrybacki

smrybacki

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, PA

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:18 AM

Never mind, I see that it is new.  Is  there a full listing of issues addressed by any chance, or is that one thing the only fix?

Thanks for the info Tony...

#51 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1384 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:20 AM

Thank you very much Tony!! :)

#52 arislaf

arislaf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1095 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:05 AM

Thanks Line6!

#53 Brazzy

Brazzy

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:17 AM

Yes, Thank You Line 6 and Tony for letting us know about the change.

I mostly play at home  and am always having fun learning how to play guitar so when I post a reply to try and help give ideas you know where I'm coming from. Rock-On!! Oh, and if I don't respond promptly I'm probably playing guitar or my computer locked up from multitasking 'cause I'm using Gear Box, HD500 Edit, Audacity and tab filled browsers all at the same time, Hahahaaaa. Surprisingly enough my 'puter handles the load more times than not. Lastly I'm not a salesman, I'm not trying to sell anyone anything here. "Riffcasts Riffworld" "RiffRumble Entry" "Shifftie" "M.O.S.U.A Two" "Bass Catszz" "Blasted Runtime Error I" "Match 30" "The Playlist"

DT50_and_DT9901.pngStrat_X3Pro.pngBerm.pngThe_Arsenal.png

#54 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1384 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:47 AM

I was able to succesfully update the firmware, but I had to update it from file, given that it seems that monkey doesn't still know about the v2.31 and is showing the v2.20 as the latest avaible firmware..

even now that I have already completed the procedure monkey shows that I have 2.31 in my POD but the latest is 2.20..

#55 Brazzy

Brazzy

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:20 PM

I was able to succesfully update the firmware, but I had to update it from file, given that it seems that monkey doesn't still know about the v2.31 and is showing the v2.20 as the latest avaible firmware..

even now that I have already completed the procedure monkey shows that I have 2.31 in my POD but the latest is 2.20..

I didn't have these problems, it all went smoothly here.

I mostly play at home  and am always having fun learning how to play guitar so when I post a reply to try and help give ideas you know where I'm coming from. Rock-On!! Oh, and if I don't respond promptly I'm probably playing guitar or my computer locked up from multitasking 'cause I'm using Gear Box, HD500 Edit, Audacity and tab filled browsers all at the same time, Hahahaaaa. Surprisingly enough my 'puter handles the load more times than not. Lastly I'm not a salesman, I'm not trying to sell anyone anything here. "Riffcasts Riffworld" "RiffRumble Entry" "Shifftie" "M.O.S.U.A Two" "Bass Catszz" "Blasted Runtime Error I" "Match 30" "The Playlist"

DT50_and_DT9901.pngStrat_X3Pro.pngBerm.pngThe_Arsenal.png

#56 smrybacki

smrybacki

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, PA

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:28 PM

I didn't have these problems, it all went smoothly here.

Same here...

#57 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1384 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:52 PM

I re-checked now running monkey again, and now it says that both the latest firmware and the installed one are v2.31..

maybe I've been more fast to flash my POD than Line6 to update the monkey news.. who knows.. anyway all well

#58 stumblinman

stumblinman

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:38 PM

I'll do this when I get home. I haven't had the problem, but an ounce of prevention..

#59 lachinelli

lachinelli

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:45 AM

I'll guess we'll have to spend some time trying this new firmware.

As to my experience with this noise, I had it happened like 5 or 6 times since I bought the HD500 almost 2 years ago. It means this bug it's been since 2 firmware updates at least.

Most times it happened while I had it plugged into my computer's USB port and using HD500 Edit. I don't remember if I had edited patches, but I think it happened while I changed patches and had my guitar strings still ringing. It also happened once while I was rehearsing with my band.

I didn't even complained about this since it didn't happened a lot, but if it's really fixed, I can definitely play live without thinking I have to switch patches fast if this problem arises.

Now we have to test the POD extensively and report back if this continues to happen.

#60 spawn2031

spawn2031

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:23 PM

Hey guys I just had something like this happen a few days ago to my 500x.  The first and only time it has happened but I was editing patches via my PC.  I changed from one patch to another and got a very loud feedback out of no where, more of a low range feedback though.  I immediately turned my power amp off.  I switched tones and turned my amp back on and had no sound at all until I rebooted the POD entirely.

Device - POD HD 500x

OS - Win 7

Fully up to date

No USB hub

I was plugged into a USB 2.0 port on my PC.  Hasn't happened a 2nd time but just figured I'd share as well.

#61 smrybacki

smrybacki

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, PA

Posted 12 April 2014 - 02:34 AM

Hey guys I just had something like this happen a few days ago to my 500x.  The first and only time it has happened but I was editing patches via my PC.  I changed from one patch to another and got a very loud feedback out of no where, more of a low range feedback though.  I immediately turned my power amp off.  I switched tones and turned my amp back on and had no sound at all until I rebooted the POD entirely.

Device - POD HD 500x
OS - Win 7
Fully up to date
No USB hub

I was plugged into a USB 2.0 port on my PC.  Hasn't happened a 2nd time but just figured I'd share as well.

When this happened to me, my first thought was "did Line6 model a microphonic tube or what"?

#62 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1384 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 12 April 2014 - 02:47 AM

..Hey guys I just had something like this happen a few days ago to my 500x.

Open a support ticket and tell directly to Line6 your issue..

that's the way to get eventually a firmware to fix the problem

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: loud noise, feedback, hd500, pc connection, headphones

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users