61 replies to this topic

#21 NinoScholz

NinoScholz

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:31 PM

I'm not sure what you mean with editing a patch after turning on the pod. It seems to me you can't edit a patch without turning on the pod first.

I

Meaning that if you just turn the pod on and don't do any patch editing at all, it will never happen. But if you turn the pod on, then edit or move patches, and start jamming then it can happen - in my experience.

Mine is always just hooked up to a power amp when this happens, no PC/USB involved. I'm guessing it can happen either way from other's posts. The sound could be described as a digital bomb. Kinda like ground loop hum at jet engine levels

I'm on Flash 2.10

#22 katiekerry

katiekerry

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:44 PM

thanks.. that's an other clue..

so untill now is still impossible to understand which could be the cause of that issue..

to katiekerry happened while was simply practicing with backing tracks..

to you NinoScholz happened at gig after some patch editings..

to me happened while I was both listening to audio tracks and editing my patch directly on my POD..

the mystery remains still unresolved..

the only consolation is that it seems to happen rarely

PS. Nino, please tell me, you were also connected to the computer when it happened to you at gig?

Actually come to think of it I had just Edited the Tuning for the JTV59 through the HD500.  So I had altered the patch prior to it happening....

JTV 59 Tobacco Burst

HD500

Alesis DM10 Studio

#23 silverhead

silverhead

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 11097 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:54 PM

I'm wondering if there's another common factor here. Seems this only happens after editing a patch - that seems to be one common factor. Is everyone also connected to a Variax (original or JTV) via VDI? Has anyone had this happen without the VDI connection in use?

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
.... John Lennon

#24 Brazzy

Brazzy

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:50 PM

I wasn't using a VDI Connection. I had this noise happen going into front of a Spider Jam with a Single Coil Strat going into the guitar input. It's been a while and if I recall correctly I was moving a delay ( I'm sure it was at least a time based effect) around using HD500 Edit to just try out different positions when I heard this weird noise initially at the instant the I dragged the FX into position and then that awful sound that starts off loud only to get louder (which happens fast) that's when I just pulled the 1/4" cable out of the guitar input of the AMP and then unplugged the Pod and started over. I forgot what Version Firmware I was using it was while ago. This is when I made sure I turned down the Pod or Amps master volume before changes to FX positions. Just recently I've been going into a DT 50 Head with the L6 connection and was changing an FX position while volumes where up and I heard that initial noise but no bad loudness following it. That startled me so I put the AMP in Stanby to make changes to the FX position.

1/7 Update: I always use Monkey to update everything before I start. Also when this problem happened the first time (long time ago) I honestly thought I did something wrong from lack of experience but after quite some time with it now I don't think so.

I'm using a Vaio AR630E, Win 7, no USB hub, latest drivers, firmware, and software in all device: HD500, DT50 Head, Spider Jam.

Hope this doesn't mean the issue is rearing its ugly head again.

Sounds like the album cover of  "Disturbed"......."Down with the Sickness".......OOOOO WAAAAh AAh AAh....AAh !!!

I mostly play at home and my own music which is more of a bluesy Jazzy Rock mixture as I'm still learning how to play guitar so when I post a reply to try and help give ideas you know where I'm coming from. In a nutshell I'm always learning and having fun doing it. Rock-On!! Oh, and if I don't respond promptly I'm probably playing guitar or my computer locked up from multitasking 'cause I'm using Gear Box, HD500 Edit, Audacity and tab filled browsers all at the same time, Hahahaaaa. Surprisingly enough my 'puter handles the load more times than not.

DT50_and_DT9901.pngStrat_X3Pro.pngBerm.pngThe_Arsenal.png

#25 talwilkins

talwilkins

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:23 AM

I'm wondering if there's another common factor here. Seems this only happens after editing a patch - that seems to be one common factor. Is everyone also connected to a Variax (original or JTV) via VDI? Has anyone had this happen without the VDI connection in use?

I wasn't connected to a Variax. I was connected to the computer with USB.

I also had it once during rehearsal, connected to my Dt25 with L6 Link, no computer. 

I'm not sure if I had edited the patch then

Music is the best (FZ)

the Zombywoof

#26 RICHJONES

RICHJONES

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:32 AM

This sounds similar to what was happening a couple years back.  Here's a link to a discussion on the gear page talking about Line 6 announcement about a firmware update that addresses the issue:  http://www.thegearpa.../t-1033652.html  This never happened to me specifically but if I remember right, people having the issue were plugged in via USB to their computer.  Hope this doesn't mean the issue is rearing its ugly head again. 

#27 Line6Tony

Line6Tony

Line 6 Staff

• Administrator
  • 2162 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:14 PM

Hello, all. We are investigating this issue, but we cannot reproduce it thus far. We're looking for more data from those who have experienced the issue recently:

· If the HD500 or HD500X was connected to a PC or Mac through USB at the time of a noise event, did their computer crash (as with a blue screen), and/or did the POD reboot itself?

· If moving a delay block preceded the event, exactly what kind of delay block?
· Were delay trails (page 1 of settings) turned on or off when the event occurred?
· Was audio being passed through the POD from a connected guitar (through VDI or ¼” guitar input) at the time of the noise event?
· Was a loop being played back at the time of the event?
· If audio was being streamed from PC or Mac at the time of the event, what app was it being streamed from?
· If a Variax was connected at the time, what firmware was loaded on it?

Since we haven’t observed this here yet, a snapshot of the other settings pages, such as inputs and outputs, might be helpful. Lastly, it might be useful if you could send the exact patch that was loaded at the time you observed the issue. Thanks!

Tony Reese
Line 6 Customer Support Manager

#28 Brazzy

Brazzy

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:24 PM

Thanks for the heads up Line6Tony. If it happens to me a again l'l try to gather that info for you. The last time it happened to me it was a race to kill the sound which doesn't help in keeping your head to jot down facts.

I mostly play at home and my own music which is more of a bluesy Jazzy Rock mixture as I'm still learning how to play guitar so when I post a reply to try and help give ideas you know where I'm coming from. In a nutshell I'm always learning and having fun doing it. Rock-On!! Oh, and if I don't respond promptly I'm probably playing guitar or my computer locked up from multitasking 'cause I'm using Gear Box, HD500 Edit, Audacity and tab filled browsers all at the same time, Hahahaaaa. Surprisingly enough my 'puter handles the load more times than not.

#29 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:40 PM

...We're looking for more data from those who have experienced the issue recently:..

Hello Tony

the following are the data relating to me:

at the time of the noise event:
- the HD500 was connected to the PC, the computer didn't crashed and the HD500 didn't reboot itself..
- I was moving exactly the analog echo model from before to after the amp block in pre position..
- the delay trails was turned on..
- my Variax 700 was connected through VDI, no other instruments were connected to the POD, and I was listening with my headphones..
- I wasn't using the looper..
- the audio from the connected PC was being streamed using the standard windows media player..
- my Variax 700 was running the latest released firmware v3.10

I attached here the snapshots of the general system settings and the patch done by me on which I was working directly on my POD (no HD Edit running) in that moment

hope it helps

Attached Files

#30 smrybacki

smrybacki

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, PA

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:49 AM

Boy I hope an event like these never happens to me.  I already have tinnitus from working on and around jet engines!  I'd hate to sell my POD, but if that happens I would in a heartbeat. :(

#31 TimD

TimD

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:03 PM

The same thing happened to me on 1/13/14 as described by the OP, except I was not connected to my computer, and I had not recently edited any patches.  Headphones were plugged directly into the HD 500, which is running firmware v2.2.  The volume swell that occured after switching patches was rediculously loud and damaged some nice Shure headphones.  The same type of volume swell happended several times on my HD 500 with earlier firmware versions, but not previously with v2.2. I opened a support ticket the day it happened, but Line6 has not yet reponded. This really is a potentially dangerous issue they need to promptly address.

#32 jcspirited

jcspirited

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 05:36 AM

I would like to chime in here. I had the same thing happen to me. Opened a ticket, went back and forth with line 6. They even replaced my HD500. It happened on the replacement too. What I had come up with, no help from Line 6. It had to be a preset I had made. Eventually I made other presets to replace older presets, and it hasn't happened in a long time. If you can, rewrite any presets you might think is causing the problem. Don't copy past anything. Make a duplicate from scratch. Also, reset the HD500 and do a peddle calibration. That seem to help to

#33 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 18 January 2014 - 06:01 AM

..If you can, rewrite any presets you might think is causing the problem. Don't copy past anything. Make a duplicate from scratch. Also, reset the HD500 and do a peddle calibration. That seem to help to

thanks for sharing your case with this issue..

I tend to believe that this particular problem doesn't depend on old imported patches, since in my case I didn't import any one from when I updated the firmware..

also it seems that it doesn't depend on an active computer connection, since to some people happened when disconnected..

till now, one common factor seems to be if you did some patch editing, manually or with the Editor..

#34 jcspirited

jcspirited

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:21 PM

OK, all good points. Your last line " one common factor seems to be if you did some patch editing, manually or with the Editor " is what leads me to think it is the EDITING, manually or with the editor that is the difference. Because it happens when your connected to a computer or not, tells me it is not the connection that's the problem. Once the patch is made and stored on the HD500 it is what triggers the problem. The one thing that is different from when you first turned the unit on to when the Loud feedback like sound happens is that patches have been changed. Some type of effect combination or the patch becomes corrupted maybe. Because the patch can be saved to a computer, they are Windows base file format. And windows files become corrupt every now and then. I total think it is a patch that have been made.   

#35 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:31 PM

..The one thing that is different from when you first turned the unit on to when the Loud feedback like sound happens is that patches have been changed. Some type of effect combination or the patch becomes corrupted maybe. Because the patch can be saved to a computer, they are Windows base file format. And windows files become corrupt every now and then. I total think it is a patch that have been made...

admitted that a corrupted patch could be the cause of this issue, in my case the patch I was working on, (when I had the unlucky loud noise event) was never saved to the PC nor loaded from, it was created from scratch directly on my POD, therefore there wasn't any data format changing, if something has become corrupt, it happened inside the POD..

probably there is something in the Editing processing mode that needs to be fixed

#36 arislaf

arislaf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1028 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:39 PM

I wonder, anybody looking at this thread from the big guys..?

#37 silverhead

silverhead

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 11097 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:08 PM

Line 6 is actively looking into this. See post#27 above.

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
.... John Lennon

#38 Brazzy

Brazzy

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 06:08 PM

For me this problem has only happened twice, once with an early firmware and once with the latest. Seems to me its an intermittent problem which usually are hard to pinpoint. Keeping in mind I do not gig with it meaning my HD 500 doesn't very hard service frequently. Although I will use it all day long sometimes hooked to my computer editing and saving patches while playing and recording through USB. Most of the time I have a great time using it.

#39 jcspirited

jcspirited

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:01 AM

For me, there is no pattern that I could see and I have been working with this since I got the unite. To the point, my HD500 was replaced.
Here are some things I have noticed that may or may not have anything to do with it. I have a patch that has foot switch 1,2,3,and 4 that turns off and on effects. With the HD500 connected to the editor, I turn off any one of the foot switches. Close the editor, and turn off the HD500. When I turn the HD500 back on, the foot switch I turned off is still off. It should have gone back to it's normal setting with the foot switch on. If you change a patch in any way (not connected to a computer). With foot switches or any other change. Then switch to another patch then go back to that patch. It reverts to it's original state.
Also, open the editor with no HD500 connected. A message window opens, telling you there is no HD500 connected and the editor will run off line. Make a patch with two amp and as many effects as possible (exceed the DSP). Save it to your desk top (it will save it). Then connect your HD500 to the computer and open the editor. Drag the patch you made into the editor that the HD500 is not set to. Meaning, drag it to 4A, and the HD500 is on 3A. It will load, and work at first. I did this, used the patch all day. Came back the next day and it would let me use it, because the DSP was too much. Like I said, may or may not have anything to do with anything. The point is, this kind of stuff should not happen. You do the math.

#40 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:24 AM

For me, there is no pattern that I could see and I have been working with this since I got the unite. To the point, my HD500 was replaced.
Here are some things I have noticed that may or may not have anything to do with it. I have a patch that has foot switch 1,2,3,and 4 that turns off and on effects. With the HD500 connected to the editor, I turn off any one of the foot switches. Close the editor, and turn off the HD500. When I turn the HD500 back on, the foot switch I turned off is still off. It should have gone back to it's normal setting with the foot switch on. If you change a patch in any way (not connected to a computer). With foot switches or any other change. Then switch to another patch then go back to that patch. It reverts to it's original state.

that above here is a normal behaviour..

when you load any patch you are using and eventually editing only a copy of that patch in a special temporary memory buffer..

the original memory slot is preserved, and changed only if you specifically save the patch into that slot..

every time you turn on your POD it works automatically with the edit buffer memory and the settings that were and are still in there.. that buffer memory automatically memorizes every last action you did with your POD: on/off state, knob settings etc.. from when you loaded the last patch..

the only way to change the edit buffer memory is to load another patch (or even the same patch number again), or doing some editings

so, in few word you are always using the edit buffer memory and not the original saved data, even if you are still seeing the memory slot bank number/patch letter from where the data came from..

Also, open the editor with no HD500 connected. A message window opens, telling you there is no HD500 connected and the editor will run off line. Make a patch with two amp and as many effects as possible (exceed the DSP). Save it to your desk top (it will save it). Then connect your HD500 to the computer and open the editor. Drag the patch you made into the editor that the HD500 is not set to. Meaning, drag it to 4A, and the HD500 is on 3A. It will load, and work at first. I did this, used the patch all day. Came back the next day and it would let me use it, because the DSP was too much. Like I said, may or may not have anything to do with anything. The point is, this kind of stuff should not happen. You do the math.

for the other issue above, I believe that the edit program when in off-line mode doesn't sense the hardware limits of the POD, and for that reason it lets you do patches more DSP expensive than normally possible for the HD..

even if you can send them temporarily in your POD, I don't believe that they'll be full working..

anyway this discrepancy is something that needs to be fixed..

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: loud noise, feedback, hd500, pc connection, headphones

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users