98 replies to this topic

#41 NucleusX

NucleusX

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:00 PM

Unfortunately I don't think its gonna be possible to ever make our own content.

Im certain they got that all pretty well tied up with legality and would breach into

licencing territory. We've had these things for over 15 + years, 3rd party coding

like that would've happened by now. From what I see, Zoom are the only one's

stepping up in this respect. They add many extra FX and Amps in their firmware

updates aswell as the StompShare store they have setup for users to buy extra

modelled FX and Amps from a selection of around 70 items so far, and rising.

As for DSP processors, I see it this way.....  

If they are going to advertise a design to operate 8 simultaneous slots at one time,

then I reckon they should deliver on that promise with an adequate DSP processor that

allows ALL 8 to be used simultaneously, in ANY combination of chosen FX/Parameters.

Assuming around %30 more DSP performance would cross that threshold, I would

happily pay the difference for the extra needed DSP, in a flagship model especially.

A far better alternative than starting again with an X version that still has DSP limits.

Kinda defeats the purpose of having dual-tone if you cant add much of anything else

to them. Im stickin to single amps, but even this config can run into DSP limits. Meh. 

#42 joel_brown

joel_brown

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 327 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:32 AM

NAMM is next week.  Hopefully something will come out of it.

btw - even the AXE FXII customers are complaining about running out of DSP.  Atleast we only paid around $500 bucks and not $3k.  But this subject has been beat to death, then back to life, then beat to death again. 

#43 gunpointmetal

gunpointmetal

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:13 AM

If the HD was doing the processing the AFXII is doing when it reaches DSP failure, no-one would be (seriously) complaining about the POD.....but lets not get into another discussion about marketing semantics....we'll have enough of that tomorrow when the guitar amp gets "reinvented"......

There should be a "buy what you want/need" option for all these types of devices, but I can wish in one hand and sh1t in the other and see what fills up first, eh?

#44 EarlyCuyler

EarlyCuyler

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:46 PM

If I could only pick one, it'd be a 5150. I don't care whether it's a I or II, but I really, really would like a 5150 model. Please, even.

#45 innovine

innovine

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:50 AM

If Line6 do not update their HD500(x) they should empower their users to update it.

Why should they? That'd stop people buying their new things. It's not in their interest to keep releasing free updates.

#46 tochiro

tochiro

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:01 AM

Let's say then that we do not have the same idea of what is in the interest of companies nowadays!

#47 B_K_J

B_K_J

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:19 AM

I recently purchased the HD500x, and it's awesome, but, I need my auto wah, as I use it in my show. The absence of this one effect could have me returning the item for a refund. I can't find any expansion effects for the device, as the line 6 site seems to take me 'round in circles. I think I read somewhere here that you can not expand the HD's. My god, is that true? Some of the wah's and the voice box sweeps up and down on there on, and I have no idea what an automatic sweep would be good for (to me). I need an auto wah.....is anyone at line 6 at home??????????

#48 jasonbogen

jasonbogen

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:23 AM

Why should they? That'd stop people buying their new things. It's not in their interest to keep releasing free updates.

It is in their interest because it keeps people buying existing products that they already have a huge R&D investment in.  It also keeps people loyal to the platform when they come out with the next generation.  I for example like many on these forums have been POD users since 2.0 and have upgraded to each generation of product and branched out with the Variax, JTV, DT, Tone Port etc.  The upgrades they have offered in the past have kept me loyal and I have come to expect that support.  In return when it is time for a significant next gen upgrade, I am usually first in line. 

#49 joel_brown

joel_brown

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 327 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:00 PM

Here's an amp for Line6 to model.  The Silvertone 1448 Guitar Amp in Case.

#50 tim1953

tim1953

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:14 PM

No one's asking for free updates - many of us are willing to pay for new amp models.

When the HD500 came out one of the selling points was the ability to update and add new features through software.

And what makes you think that "people" will keep buying new things when Line 6 is developing a reputation of releasing a product and than bailing out on it's user base.

That kind of thing is what turns people away and makes them look elsewhere.

I own several Line 6 products and I don't think I'll be rushing out anytime soon to buy another.

Who knows maybe the merger with Yamaha will fix these types of issues - one could only hope so!

#51 DeanDinosaur

DeanDinosaur

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:09 PM

No one's asking for free updates - many of us are willing to pay for new amp models.

That kind of thing is what turns people away and makes them look elsewhere.

...!

You hit the nail on the head. I was there and gave up on new HD models so I decided to buy an Eleven Rack. That was the mother of all model Packs, cost me around 300 dollars brand new on ebay without Pro tools. Amp modeling is more realistic, but I still Keep my HD500 because I had no problems getting usable sounds.  I know  I Pi$$ off a few people  here whenever I mention the Eleven Rack, but trust me the quality of amp modeling and hardware components are clearly above the HD series. At $300 it's very close to their cost, but they make money on Pro tools.  Phantom Power for Microphone, Hi Z , input, Line in, stereo FX Loop, USB 2, Re-amping  at the software level, Solid Asio Drivers to work with any other software (I use with Cubase), Amazing stunning Reverbs and EQ , I would never trade that with an HD pro X, but anyway who cares about all of that when all you want is good amp modeling.

#52 Metalchef

Metalchef

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:32 PM

I agree that the eleven rack sounds great but I must say I am not disheartened at all and don't consider my set up to be lacking in anything. I run two Les Pauls and a Strat through my Pod500 and Dt50 2x12 combo and I have been able to achieve any sound I've set out to get and I mean any. Don't get me wrong I'd love new amp models to play with and it is a selling point for me when considering future gear purchases but I can't understand the complaints that think they can't achieve a sound they are looking for on this set up.
Yes I hear the cries of the carrots.... For it is harvest day and to them it is the Holocaust..... So I say let the rabbits wear glasses....

#53 Captain_Dog

Captain_Dog

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationathens, Greece

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:45 PM

IMHO the Eleven rack with the POD HD500x are very comparable in sound. Both have very realistic Fender, Vox, Marshall clean - mid gain sounds and same quality. For high gain tones i think POD HD is a little better. I believe too that POD HD is not lacking anything at the moment...

#54 DeanDinosaur

DeanDinosaur

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:04 PM

The POD series is pretty good, but it's too many things for different users.  The original PODs were recording tools. Having more amps is very important for a recording tool. For those who use it live it has more than enough and with a DT50, it's probably one of the best options out there, certainly better than the AXe FX and Kemper as the POD DT50 setup  has the real thing... tubes and real tube amp sounds not simulated or modeled. But the PODs HD alone have many compromises for using them as recording tools. If you don't believe that, just look at the previous POD Xt and X3 with POD farm and you will see the major shortcomings of the HD series as recording devicesl having less amp models doesn't help either. I will not elaborate on how the Eleven Rack is a better recording tool because I doubt that anyone who owns both will even think twice on what's the better device (with more amps) for recording, and it's not the POD as close and comparable as they are.

#55 Metalchef

Metalchef

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:02 PM

Mr. Dinosaur thank u for the epiphany you are correct sir. I never thought of just the recording aspect and I can agree that with the DT50 2x12 I have seen no comparison. I absolutely love this set up and have found no limitations as of yet.
Yes I hear the cries of the carrots.... For it is harvest day and to them it is the Holocaust..... So I say let the rabbits wear glasses....

#56 Zhorell

Zhorell

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:34 PM

Cameron amp!

#57 dacuck

dacuck

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:04 PM

bass amps  .. !!    something along the lines of the Bass Extension Add-on for other POD products  ...  !!

and acoustic amps  ... or more clean stereo pres/fxs   ...

mic preamps   ...  

#58 arislaf

arislaf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1031 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:34 PM

Why you still posting for new amps? Nobody cares..

#59 innovine

innovine

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:16 PM

I believe too that POD HD is not lacking anything at the moment...

I absolutely love this set up and have found no limitations as of yet.

The hd500 is a backwards step when it comes to reamping. There's just no nice way of getting it working that doesn't involve swopping cables around all the time.

Also, the SPID output could provide a clean signal for reamping, but unfortunately it stops working when you connect a DT amp via Line6 link, so dream rig users are out of luck there.

The EQ uses useless percent values instead of Hz.

There is no level metering anywhere, which is particularly important when effects in the chain can experience digital clipping. 

The FX Loop has a ~3db drop in gain, and introduces more noise than I think is acceptable

The looper doesn't sync to midi tempo

There is no global EQ

It's a nightmare to manage copies of patches if you sometimes use only the pod, and sometimes a DT amp too. You need to maintain duplicates of all patches with pre and full amp models.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a cool device, but if you think there are no limitations, you haven't been using it much.

#60 toneman2121

toneman2121

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2714 posts
  • Locationphilly

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:33 AM

i use the device mainly for shaping my tone. i don't record and i don't gig. i can empathize with the people who want more than the pod hd series can do. as for me, if i didn't have it, i couldn't get all of the tones i want without spending a lot of cash. but what i don't understand is why people bought something that clearly doesn't meet their requirements. why come to this forum and beat to death all of the shortcomings. surely when it was purchased and used, those individuals with issues realized this and could then decide to return it.  most manufactures or retailers don't offer a 30 day return policy. time enough to find out if it's right for you.

I'M SO HAPPY!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: newamps, update, pod hd, wishes, orange, mesa, boogie, roland, jazz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users