55 replies to this topic

#21 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:12 PM

If I understand correctly, 4 cable method only works if you are using an amp with an FX loop.  I am going directly to a powered PA speaker or Headphones.

#22 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1261 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:13 PM

...Thanks for your time. Record some Methany and you've got a gretsch model on that variax right? Shame not to hear any Cult...

Not at all!. :)

yes, I have a nice Gretsch 6120 hollow body model on my Variax, I don't know if it would be better than a Gibson ES-175 or the Super 400 to get a Metheny tone.. but I'm sure it's possible to get a very close to him tone.. didn't tried yet.. maybe for some of my next clips..

EDIT:

I found it!.. very very close!!..fantastic tone!..

when I'll find the time I'll record a short clip and I'll post the link as usual in this forum

Edited by hurghanico, 09 January 2014 - 05:44 PM.

#23 FrozenOzone

FrozenOzone

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:18 PM

hurghanico thank you for the post.  Very useful information here.  Too funny that you talked about the 300 and 400 that the people are not complaining about their sound because we had a very different experience with a 400.  One of my band members picked one up a couple of years ago and we couldn't get a good sound out of it.  Not too sure why but we struggled with it for about 6 months and then gave up. He ended up selling it and getting a 500 because I have a 500 that sounded great.  As you said they both do sound different and it's absolutely due to the dual channels in the 500.

I do use both inputs and yes they could have done a better job of implementing both inputs correctly.   Maybe it would be better to just have 1 input path by default and until you want a dual path then pull another amp into input 2 then input 2 will be active but only then.  Not sure how they could implement this but it would fix the problem with the dual inputs. I have to say that other than this issue the unit is great. It's a learning curve.

Since I use both paths (Guitar/Variax and Mic) I really never had much of an issue with my 500 and paths but I want to mention this tip as well.  In the mixer, I pan everything center.  The default New tones are panned input 1 100% left and input 2 100% right. Unless you are recording and/or going out 2 separate speakers I don't see much use to have them panned this way right out of the box.  This fixed most of my issues right off the bat when I found this out.  Now I have a template that I use for any new patch I create and have them panned center along with other tweaks since I use both paths.  Not sure if you have tried this but..  Thanks for your tips.

I like your soundcloud music.  Keep up the good work.

#24 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1261 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:36 AM

Since I use both paths (Guitar/Variax and Mic) I really never had much of an issue with my 500 and paths but I want to mention this tip as well.  In the mixer, I pan everything center.  The default New tones are panned input 1 100% left and input 2 100% right. Unless you are recording and/or going out 2 separate speakers I don't see much use to have them panned this way right out of the box.  This fixed most of my issues right off the bat when I found this out.  Now I have a template that I use for any new patch I create and have them panned center along with other tweaks since I use both paths.  Not sure if you have tried this..

you're welcome! ;)

since you use both paths A and B in separate mode (guitar/voice I presume), I think that your solution to pan both channels in the center is good because that way you don't lose the Right side of the stereo signal from path A and the Left side of the stereo signal from path B..

obviously doing so, at the output of your POD the guitar and voice will be mixed together but they'll be both stereo with a fuller sound.. the only eventual disadvantage of this solution is that, in case you need it, you can't get 2 indipendent guitar and voice outputs.. and all the mixing tricks must be done with the POD tools..

differently, in case of single amp/FX chain in pre position, since at the amp block everything becomes mono, the only advantage to pan to the center A and B is to get more output volume, but in case there is a stereo FX between the amp and the mixer block, panning everything to the center will become mono..  so, in few words, in this single amp chain case, if you don't have nothing between the amp block and the mixer, panning everything to the center is a good way to get more volume, nothing else..

speaking instead more generally of the use of the separate paths, as I said at the beginning of this thread, each path when separate behaves like the pre position with both inputs active.. surely it works but IMO is not the best solution because the input is fixed as a too hot signal for my taste.. I get much better results by using the pre position with only 1 active input, and if I need to boost the signal, I prefer to use some of the avalaible FXs and boost it exactly to the degree I want..

I didn't test thoroughly if turning down the input signal about 6dB in path A separate gives exactly the same results of the pre position with 1 input.. theoretically should be the case if the method that you use to turn down the level doesn't color the sound at all..

what I can say is that from when I'm using the method described in this thread, I get excellent results in no time, I set the inputs, I pick the amp that I want to use, I try all the mics till I find the one that gives the sound more close to the one I have in my mind, in some cases I change also the cab, I do some quick adjustments with the standard controls, I put the needed FXs, some other little adjustments, and voilà!.. ready to go!.. 5-10 minutes time.. and play!!

#25 MartinDorr

MartinDorr

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationArizona, U.S.A.

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:48 AM

I agree, but anyway I found that the 2 combinations guitar/variax or variax/guitar (depending on what are you connecting to the POD) are very quiet and not noisy..

Agree!

-96dB peak noise level last time I checked on my HD500.

Aux and Mic (if gain is dialed down) are a few dB less.

Overall I'd say nothing anyone would need to be concerned about.

Martin

#26 Melissiah

Melissiah

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationQuébec

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:25 AM

edit: sorry wrong post

My Dream Rig Studio:

http://line6.com/sup...your-dream-rig/

My dream rig presets for now 1.9

www.monsieurmaxime.com/resources/Melissiah.zip

www.monsieurmaxime.com/resources/Shine%20on.zip

#27 gckelloch

gckelloch

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:26 AM

That sounds like a typical modern A/I noise floor -- meaning the a-weighted s/n would be below -100dB.  Outstanding for a consumer product considering we listened to cassette tapes with maybe -60dB s/n (on a good day) back in the 80's.

#28 perapera

perapera

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:11 AM

I didn't test thoroughly if turning down the input signal about 6dB in path A separate gives exactly the same results of the pre position with 1 input.. theoretically should be the case if the method that you use to turn down the level doesn't color the sound at all..

I did it,

one test on the input settings is here:

http://line6.com/sup...vs-both-inputs/

and the other, more specifically on gain, is here:

http://line6.com/sup...uts/#entry30409

both complete with a downloadable setlist and description

my conclusion is that it's the same: a fixed volume pedal at 71% (which is roughly -6dB) before the amp, gives the same result as selecting one-input-only (with the amp in the pre-path)

and then you can also tweak it exactly to the degree of attenuation you want.

another workaround for who wants a dimmed level to go to both paths, is to select one input only and insert a noise gate in the pre-path with decay 100% threshold 0% settings (meambobbo method)

this splits the attenuated signal to A and B

the 1-input-active vs 2-inputs-active setting has succesfully been compared to the hi vs low inputs/switch you find on many amps

bye

Lore

#29 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1261 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:34 PM

I did it,

one test on the input settings is here:

http://line6.com/sup...vs-both-inputs/

and the other, more specifically on gain, is here:

http://line6.com/sup...uts/#entry30409

both complete with a downloadable setlist and description

my conclusion is that it's the same: a fixed volume pedal at 71% (which is roughly -6dB) before the amp, gives the same result as selecting one-input-only (with the amp in the pre-path)

and then you can also tweak it exactly to the degree of attenuation you want.

another workaround for who wants a dimmed level to go to both paths, is to select one input only and insert a noise gate in the pre-path with decay 100% threshold 0% settings (meambobbo method)

this splits the attenuated signal to A and B

very good!.. thanks for your time

the 1-input-active vs 2-inputs-active setting has succesfully been compared to the hi vs low inputs/switch you find on many amps

successfully??

not for me, surely it was an interesting point of view, but it's obvious that it couldn't be like that..

go tell to the 300/400 owners that their models are all with low inputs.. :o

did you notice that the 300/400 sound the same as the 500 with only 1 active input in pre? ;)

#30 smrybacki

smrybacki

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, PA

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:38 PM

I have noticed the signal gets hotter, but from strictly and engineering standpoint, that is supposed to be better.  The reason is that you cannot boost a low signal without introducing noise, but you can attenuate a hot signal.  Does that apply in this instance, maybe through some other means?

Just curious and trying to see why such an obvious thing was left in with the possibility of selecting only one input if so desired.

#31 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1261 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:47 PM

....The reason is that you cannot boost a low signal without introducing noise...

yes, that's what happens also when you use 2 same inputs

the hotter signal you get isn't no cost.. together you get also hotter noise

#32 smrybacki

smrybacki

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, PA

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:52 PM

the hotter signal you get with 2 same inputs isn't no cost.. together you get also hotter noise

I am wondering if the noise (I do hear it BTW) is being introduced at the initial gain stage?

#33 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:48 PM

Too hot a signal runs the risk of clipping. 

#34 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:41 PM

I downloaded a setlist from Meambobbo's page.

I notice there's a blank patches named 'mab_dual_input' and 'mab_single_input'.

I can't find an explanation of the patches, just wondering why they were included, they're not that much different to a 'New Tone' patch, unless there's something I'm missing.

Going through them I notice the dual patch has the inputs set to 'guitar and same' and the single input to 'guitar and variax'.  They both have mixer levels panned to 0%.

s

Listen to my band here:

#35 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1261 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:21 PM

I downloaded a setlist from Meambobbo's page.

I notice there's a blank patches named 'mab_dual_input' and 'mab_single_input'.

I can't find an explanation of the patches, just wondering why they were included, they're not that much different to a 'New Tone' patch, unless there's something I'm missing.

Going through them I notice the dual patch has the inputs set to 'guitar and same' and the single input to 'guitar and variax'.  They both have mixer levels panned to 0%.

s

I don't know anything about those specific patches..

their titles say it all, probably they are just templates from which start building a tone or doing experiments/measurements using 2 different input approaches..

#36 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:45 PM

probably they are just templates from which start building a tone or doing experiments/measurements using 2 different input approaches..

That's what they are but I'm wondering if there's more to it.

The subtle differences I've noticed aren't much of a change from a blank patch.

s

Listen to my band here:

#37 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1261 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:10 PM

That's what they are but I'm wondering if there's more to it.

The subtle differences I've noticed aren't much of a change from a blank patch.

s

the subtle differences when the patches are empty become big differences when you put some models in the chain

#38 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:33 PM

the subtle differences when the patches are empty become big differences when you put some models in the chain

Indeed, I just thought it was easy enough for anyone to do themselves after reading it on his site.

s

Listen to my band here:

#39 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1261 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:09 PM

Indeed, I just thought it was easy enough for anyone to do themselves after reading it on his site.

s

he probably forgot to remove those empty patches from his setlist

#40 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:11 PM

he probably forgot to remove those empty patches from his setlist

thumbsup.gif

s

Listen to my band here:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hd500, input settings, single input approach

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users