Photo

I Think My L3t Is Broken...

Best Answer jaminjimlp , 11 January 2014 - 10:40 AM

Ok, I know I had the same thing going on and we talked about this here in an other thread  http://line6.com/sup...he-eleven-rack/. It is not broken the other driver is for lower freq. than the guitar sounds are played if you plug in a bass and try it on the lower notes it will play fine [top driver]. It is the internal crossover that is keeping that driver from playing.... 

Here is a feature request that I have that could be easily done in a speaker firmware update [I think]..... the guitar cab sim could change the driver crossover to full range on both drivers on the L3T or bing the top one in closer to the freq so it will be used and if you use the 2 channel inputs [or in the case of the HD500on the L 6 link] that it would give you stereo [1 driver right and 1 driver left] ....... this is what I was hoping it did when I laid it on its side and hooked up my Eleven Rack to the 2 channel inputs.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 pugdealer

pugdealer

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:15 AM

Hey guys

I was tweaking my patches on my HD500, and going back and forth on the L3t modes, switching between PA and Elec Guit and I noticed that I could really only hear sound from the botton driver and middle horn...nothing at all from the top driver...I went thru all the modes, inputs, everything I could imagine and I just can't hear a sound from the top driver...

It can't be normal right? I mean, I thought it could come on when going louder, but I tried everything and it was always silent...

broken right?

#2 case67

case67

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Germany

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:53 AM

I had the same issue. Top driver silent. The shop replaced the L3t.

#3 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:17 AM

...broken right?

Maybe, ...maybe not, pugdealer...

A scroll through this conversation regarding its "little brother" L2 system http://line6.com/sup...t-output-issue/ illustrates that it may also be due to a firmware issue, ...either way...

I had the same issue. Top driver silent. The shop replaced the L3t.

(Perhaps there was a "run" of faulty circuitry ?)

#4 pugdealer

pugdealer

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:28 AM

My shop said it had to go to a repair center, and that it would take a while to resolve...and I need it sooo much, I can't go a week winthout it and it seems they expect something like a moth, tops...DAMN!!!

#5 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2524 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:53 AM

That's normal when you use the Electric Guitar preset. Guitar cabs don't have HF drivers so in that preset we switch it off.

So are you saying that it does not switch back? If so disconnect it from your HD and then cycle the power on the speaker.

I'm not aware of any bug, but which firmware version is your speaker running?

#6 pugdealer

pugdealer

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:03 AM

I know it changes to just the bottom driver when in elec guit mode. I've tried every mode, every input on the l3t, even just RCA and no matter what I do it just emits sound from the bottom and middle driver. I'm on fw 1.03 if I'm not mistaken.

#7 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2524 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:01 AM

Ok ... But you need to run my test as above and then let me know.

#8 pugdealer

pugdealer

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:27 AM

Could you explain the test. I didn't quite get it. I've tried with and without the pod, L6, jack directly from the guitar and the only difference is that when in elec guitar mode sound comes only from bottom driver and when in any other mode it just adds the middle driver. TOp driver never emits sound

#9 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2524 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:34 AM

Unplug any and all inputs from the speaker.  Cycle the power on and off.  Now plug in a source and try switching through the modes.  Did it come back?

Also ... please tell me you do not have the speaker plugged into a power conditioner strip.

If it didn't come back then I would suggest filling out a service ticket.

#10 pugdealer

pugdealer

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:37 PM

Just did that, quite a few times to make sure, and still no sound from the upper driver. I've opened a support ticket today...let's see how and how fast they can resolve this.

Thanks for the help! ;)

#11 wicker_man

wicker_man

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:59 PM

Why shouldn't it be used with a power conditioner?

#12 jaminjimlp

jaminjimlp

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:40 AM   Best Answer

Ok, I know I had the same thing going on and we talked about this here in an other thread  http://line6.com/sup...he-eleven-rack/. It is not broken the other driver is for lower freq. than the guitar sounds are played if you plug in a bass and try it on the lower notes it will play fine [top driver]. It is the internal crossover that is keeping that driver from playing.... 

Here is a feature request that I have that could be easily done in a speaker firmware update [I think]..... the guitar cab sim could change the driver crossover to full range on both drivers on the L3T or bing the top one in closer to the freq so it will be used and if you use the 2 channel inputs [or in the case of the HD500on the L 6 link] that it would give you stereo [1 driver right and 1 driver left] ....... this is what I was hoping it did when I laid it on its side and hooked up my Eleven Rack to the 2 channel inputs.

May you be blessed and our Lord Jesus keep you!!!

#13 pugdealer

pugdealer

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:17 AM

I need to test my one out then...So I should hear the lower frequencies coming from the top driver huh!? 

I'd thought of that "stereo" possibility, and it sounds like an easy thing to do and a useful one!!! Is that idea on ideascale yet?

#14 pugdealer

pugdealer

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:59 AM

Well, I just played a few "bassy" mp3s on the L3t, not too loud 'cause I can't right now, but I think I can hear the top driver acting like a subwoofer, putting out only those low rumbles! Is this its normal way of working? I thought it would be putting out basically the same sound and the bottom driver, and that if any would act like a sub, that it would be the bottom one!

Seems kinda strange to be that the top driver is the one acting like the sub...!? Please confirm if this is its normal behavior, cause if so, this will all be a false alarm and the speaker is performing just as it should!!!

THANK YOU!!!! ;) 

#15 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2524 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:44 AM

Yes. The top woofer is the low band.

#16 jaminjimlp

jaminjimlp

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:43 AM

I'd thought of that "stereo" possibility, and it sounds like an easy thing to do and a useful one!!! Is that idea on ideascale yet?

To me ideascale is a bad joke!!! :angry: At least that has been my experience there and that is with Avid Eleven Rack, so I no longer waste my time there.... Here is briefly what happened I would post there and it basically was not any response from Avid and the only thing they [Avid] ever did take [ideas] from it was maybe 15 out of 5000 [from my recollection] and when I posted about that they erased it [can't blame them to much for that because it was quite revealing that they ignore the product idea's] and there are pretty nasty people over there [user's not admins] I would get more response about "this is the wrong place to post that" maybe it was maybe it wasn't, to me it was a good to give some more insight to the idea and when it falls on "deaf ears". whats the point?

Now, I don't know anything about Line 6 over there, They may pay attention to it but I know that, here you have guys like Don B. who are actively on here and if they think something is good I'm sure they send it to someone that can do something about it. Why post the same thing there? Now if DB was to tell me that he is over there and that is the route, procedure or red tape to go through to get thing in the "suggestion box" then I would get over there and do it.

Sorry for the "rant" I feel better now.... :D 

May you be blessed and our Lord Jesus keep you!!!

#17 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:42 AM

FWIW, Folks...

...I'm with Jim, in that I've also resolved to never again bother with IdeaScale.

#18 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14807 posts
  • LocationClemmons, NC USA

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:57 AM

i'm the opposite, because i know that the ideascale does get looked at and will amount to something...

sometimes those somethings would be on a newer product... (sometimes the initial engineering of a device can limit features from being feasible)

ideascale itself is not a forum for any company to air their strategy publicly... so yes there is not much feedback given to us users...

but when the idea comes up and they ponder how to implement it... they will surely review the back and forth to get a feel of what they want to accomplish....

i tend to use it as a quick way to drop an idea... then step aside... if there is alot of "community" type issues i rarely see them.

#19 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2524 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:57 AM

"Here is a feature request that I have that could be easily done in a speaker firmware update [I think]..... the guitar cab sim could change the driver crossover to full range on both drivers on the L3T or bing the top one in closer to the freq so it will be used and if you use the 2 channel inputs [or in the case of the HD500on the L 6 link] that it would give you stereo [1 driver right and 1 driver left] "

Interesting idea for sure.  I don't think it could be a firmware only change and believe some hardware changes would also have to happen.  I'm pretty certain it could not happen over L6 link but could in analog after appropriate changes to circuitry and software .

The reason that the speakers divide up as woofer and midrange has to do with the difference that you get when you stand a pair of woofers up vertically instead of horizontally as would be found in a guitar cab.  When the woofers are side by side the sweet spot is directly in front of the cabinet and as you get off to the sides you encounter a lot of phase cancellation and comb filtering when both drivers play the same audio.  If you took that same guitar cab and turned it on its side the worst place to listen to it would be directly in front and the sweet spot would be off to the sides.  By having each woofer perform a different job you minimize phase cancellation in all directions.

#20 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2524 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:11 AM

i'm the opposite, because i know that the ideascale does get looked at and will amount to something...

I can assure you that a lot to time goes into looking at ideascale.  But making a simple software change which might take a week to write take about 6 months of testing before it is released out in the world.  Not only do you have to test whatever that new function does but you have to go back and reprove every other function in the system to make certain the new function does not conflict and that no inadvertent error were introduced into the code.  

If its a parts change it has to be tested and proven out and then it can get inserted in the manufacturing chain which can add another 6-9 months.  If manufacturers were hand wiring point to point like a Dumble or Matchless you could make the changes almost overnight.  But that almost everything now mass manufactured is built by robots  the process takes considerably longer.  Typically manufacturers similar to Line 6 are more than 18-24 months out from idea to store shelf.

Many ideas that come in aren't exactly original.  A good many have already been discussed and for what ever reason not included in a product.  It's usually a case of if you did that then you'd have to leave out something else or you'd have to raise the price or you'd have to add even more time to the already 18-24 month timeline.

But please keep them coming.  The are appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users