• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1257 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:52 PM

this is my attempt to get a Metheny type tone with my Variax 700 and HD500

if you want hear it, this is the link

https://soundcloud.c...-things-you-are

(under the track there is a description of the settings, which are quite simple)

I based my patch on his clean tone which is the one I prefer

hope you like it ;)

#2 Metalchef

Metalchef

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:50 PM

I love it you are very good at achieving the tones of the greats. Pats one of my favorites and I agree his clean tone is awesome. In my opinion one of the harder ones to imitate because a lot of his tone was in his technique and style instead of gear. Good job I always like to hear your recordings. They have inspired me to start attempting to record rather than play along.
Yes I hear the cries of the carrots.... For it is harvest day and to them it is the Holocaust..... So I say let the rabbits wear glasses....

#3 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1257 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:53 AM

I love it you are very good at achieving the tones of the greats. Pats one of my favorites and I agree his clean tone is awesome. In my opinion one of the harder ones to imitate because a lot of his tone was in his technique and style instead of gear. Good job I always like to hear your recordings. They have inspired me to start attempting to record rather than play along.

Thanks Metalchef :)

when you say that "a lot of his tone was in his technique and style instead of gear" you are absolutely right..

you can find confirmation of this in the words of Pat himself in this interesting Q&A http://www.patmethen...ew.cfm?queID=56

that's why I imitated his style to get a most convincing result..

anyway luckily I have also my own style, and I think that everyone should have a distinct one, this is a fundamental thing to stand out from the crowd..

but sometimes imitating someone else is a good way to learn some new tricks, both for the use of equipment and for musical ideas ;)

actually that patch is great for playing jazz in general, eg would be very good to play also some Pat Martino licks, and many others jazz guitarists..

the bass amp Ampeg B-15 was an awesome discovery for me to get some serious jazz tones.. sometimes I doubt if this model was given more for the jazz guitar players than for the bass players (being just 1 bass amp model against several guitar amps) :D ..

#4 arislaf

arislaf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:21 AM

Holly !!! I don't know this guy but I love your job  Nico!it is really awesome, couldn't believe that from ampeg you would get such an awesome tone! Awesome jazz playing and tone, wish the track was longer.

#5 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1257 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:11 AM

Holly !!! I don't know this guy but I love your job  Nico!it is really awesome, couldn't believe that from ampeg you would get such an awesome tone! Awesome jazz playing and tone, wish the track was longer.

Thanks Aris :)

Pat Metheny is one of the best guitar players on the entire planet..

you should listen to some of his recordings..

sometimes he plays using some synth sounds, which personally I don't like so much, but his phrasing, touch and playing is always absolutely phenomenal!..

I like more his clean jazz sounds, but in any case I admire everything he does in music

#6 Metalchef

Metalchef

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:55 AM

I agree with that totally and great article I like how you put all your patches to music through your recordings. I appreciate your sound cloud page and the work u have put into it with recordings and explanations of what u used to get these tones. Pat Methany is awesome for sure his spontaneous runs and distinct tones are often awe inspiring. Only other Guitarist anywhere near him in my opinion is Eric Johnson. I'd love to see you get some EJ tones. And no Cliffs of Dover. I'd love to see you don his Manhattan tone especially the tone he gets when he starts chording about. Also would love to hear u give Billy Duffy a shot (the Cult) and see how u mix your fx for an fx Laden tone like in She Sells Sanctuary or the opening to Firewoman.
Yes I hear the cries of the carrots.... For it is harvest day and to them it is the Holocaust..... So I say let the rabbits wear glasses....

#7 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1257 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:57 PM

...Pat Methany is awesome for sure his spontaneous runs and distinct tones are often awe inspiring. Only other Guitarist anywhere near him in my opinion is Eric Johnson. I'd love to see you get some EJ tones. And no Cliffs of Dover. I'd love to see you don his Manhattan tone especially the tone he gets when he starts chording about. Also would love to hear u give Billy Duffy a shot (the Cult) and see how u mix your fx for an fx Laden tone like in She Sells Sanctuary or the opening to Firewoman.

Thanks mr chef ;)

you gave me a lot of homework to do :huh:

.. just joking :D

maybe I'll post some EJ type sound clips one of the next times..

meanwhile, if you have not already seen them, watch these videos:

--------------------------------------------------------------

.. and interestingly, below here one of the Line6 guys, but with the real things:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=OtI5UWAQXLg

#8 panaman

panaman

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:02 AM

hey, great sounds. can the tones be downloaded too?  like on customtone?

i can click the audio, but cant find the dl link for the tone on the soundcloud page, it tells me to install flash, which i wont.

after my last xp crash a couple of years ago, and not installing any adobe software like flash and reader when reinstalling, everything is so much more stable now... no backdoors for the  interNSAl agencies and other pests.

#9 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1257 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:11 AM

hey, great sounds. can the tones be downloaded too?  like on customtone?

i can click the audio, but cant find the dl link for the tone on the soundcloud page, it tells me to install flash, which i wont...

thanks panaman :)

there isn't any patch download link in the Soundcloud page, but there is the description of the settings under each sound track, visible when you click its title..

I don't think you need to install the flash plugin to be able to see them..

until now I didn't post any patch on Customtone, and I have not even saved many of them on my pc, in a sense my Soundcloud page is becoming gradually my auxiliary sound library, luckily my patches are quite simple and very easy to copy..

think that I seldom use the HD500 Edit program, and I usually do all my patches directly on my HD500, also because happened that a few parameters were displayed in a different manner in the program, and so I trust only what I see in the POD display..

also it can happen that if you load with the program a patch that for example should have a certain input setting, it will displayed in the wrong way, unless you manually change the program input settings to "preset",... it doesn't load also the POD system settings..

#10 panaman

panaman

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:00 AM

i know what you mean, im not a huge fan of the edit program myself. too destructive.

still would be nice to see your tones on customtone though.

#11 Metalchef

Metalchef

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:57 PM

I am with you H I don't use HD Edit at all. I have maybe used it twice. It really is much easier and less hoopla just to set up on the pod. Good EJ Videos. He is a great guy. Very humble. Had the privilege of attending a workshop of his at a studio in Nashville about 6yrs ago. He is such a tone nerd though. But it shows his tone is impeccable in my opinion. Thanks H I am really looking forward to seeing what u come up with.

#12 pratikb

pratikb

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:12 PM

Please could you re-do the tones with a regular guitar?

#13 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1257 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:33 PM

Please could you re-do the tones with a regular guitar?

if I would use a not digital guitar, I would use a Gibson ES-175 or a jazz Ibanez..

but at the moment I don't have any of the 2, I had them in the past..

from what I remember they sound quite close to the Variax jazz box model I used to do this patch..

if you have a regular jazz guitar you should roll back the tone knob at some point, not too much and not too little, you have to find the right spot, depending on your guitar specific voice..

if you have a Strat type guitar equipped with single-coils forget to get this tone in a convincing way, I think it's impossible..

if your guitar has a neck humbucker you have some hopes to get somewhat close, but probably you'll have to adjust a little the amp drive setting depending on the signal strength of your guitar..

think that typical jazz guitar humbuckers are less powerful than those of a Les Paul or a 335..

that's all I can do and say to help you

#14 pratikb

pratikb

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:32 PM

if I would use a not digital guitar, I would use a Gibson ES-175 or a jazz Ibanez..

but at the moment I don't have any of the 2, I had them in the past..

from what I remember they sound quite close to the Variax jazz box model I used to do this patch..

if you have a regular jazz guitar you should roll back the tone knob at some point, not too much and not too little, you have to find the right spot, depending on your guitar specific voice..

if you have a Strat type guitar equipped with single-coils forget to get this tone in a convincing way, I think it's impossible..

if your guitar has a neck humbucker you have some hopes to get somewhat close, but probably you'll have to adjust a little the amp drive setting depending on the signal strength of your guitar..

think that typical jazz guitar humbuckers are less powerful than those of a Les Paul or a 335..

that's all I can do and say to help you

Thanks, I have an epiphone SG-400, will try the setting as per you have suggested...Awesome tones..Great

#15 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1257 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:28 PM

Thanks, I have an epiphone SG-400, will try the setting as per you have suggested...Awesome tones..Great

you're welcome :)

since you have humbuckers you are on a good path to get close to this jazz tone..

as described in my patch, don't forget to set input 2 to variax to not get the HD500 input doubled..

it's an important patch detail..

and it's also a general good starting point setting to do patches with the HD500..

IMO it makes a world of difference in the quality of all the model sounds..

Good luck

#16 pratikb

pratikb

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:43 AM

as described in my patch, don't forget to set input 2 to variax to not get the HD500 input doubled..

it's an important patch detail..

if the Input 2 is set to 'Same' does it increse the overall volume?

#17 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1257 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:07 AM

if the Input 2 is set to 'Same' does it increse the overall volume?

it increases the overall volume as a secondary effect, but what really matters is that affects the response of the models

#18 rublalup

rublalup

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:44 AM

Nico i want to thank you for sharing all the useful info and great tones of yours. I sometiems have some trouble identifying the pod hd amp that correspond to the ones youre using and naming on the description... am i a total idiot? 

#19 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1257 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:10 PM

Nico i want to thank you for sharing all the useful info and great tones of yours. I sometiems have some trouble identifying the pod hd amp that correspond to the ones youre using and naming on the description... am i a total idiot? 

you're welcome ;)

don't worry, if I wasn't enough clear in my descriptions or you have any doubts, ask me and I will tell you something more precise, I'm glad to help if I can..

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: metheny, variax 700, hd500

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users