#21 ColonelForbin

ColonelForbin

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationChicago, Illinois

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:26 PM

So the key thing is turn off amp modeling on your pedal.

For the DT25/50 users out there, who have their JTV>HD500>DT25/50, is there a way to set up patches using no amp model? I realize this runs counter intuitive to the manner in which the L6Link is supposed to work, just wondering if there is a workaround that will maintain the single chain of signal, but allow the user to go from "electric" Variax models using elec guitar models and HD500+DT25/50 amp models, to then using the Variax acoustic and eclectic models, in the same signal path and any FX from the HD500 into the DT, but bypassing the PRE amp models, and going straight into the power amp stage? I guess it's worth a try!

I recall they used to have some preamp options, from pre-HD era in the X3, like these listed below - an ideal option would be to have some of these choices in the HD realm, and use them as "PRE" models in much the same way the HD amp PRE models are currently used, but these would be better for Variax acoustic tones. However, I don't see that happening any time soon..

POD X3 Vintage and Modern Preamp Models based on*:

• API® 512c with API® 550b EQ
  • Neve 1073
  • Avalon Vt737
  • Requisite Y7
  • L6 Solid State Console
  • L6 Lo-Fi

POD X3 Amp Models based on*:

• L6 Piezacoustic 2
  • L6 Tube Instrument Preamp

"Searching for a distant star, Heading off to Iscandar

Leaving all we love behind, Who knows what dangers we'll find?"

#22 sftl99

sftl99

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:40 PM

I like the blog entry simply because it affirms the issue with strumming. I'm a percussive rhythm player when it comes to acoustic and I had hoped to utilize the JTV for that. It just simply does not work for me. The electric sounds are phenomenal and I use them a lot. It would be nice if they figured out a way to get a good modeled strum without having to use the lightest touch ever. 

#23 johnnyayyy

johnnyayyy

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1364 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:53 PM

check the ballad of Hades on sound cloud (variax)

I really like this song. Is it your original composition?

It sounds to me like it belongs in a classic Lucio Fulci film like City of the Living Dead or The Beyond maybe - an excellent piece, bravo if you wrote it.

And I agree the acoustic sounds better on Ballad of Hades than on Paradox.

I am assuming you used the exact same signal path/processing/acoustic model for both tracks. My experience recording has been the opposite, the recordings I have made with the new acoustics sound better to me than those made with my older Variaxes, but I have not recorded and compared anything in the style you are playing here - makes me think maybe the old acoustics will work better for certain things and the new ones will work better for others.

#24 radatats

radatats

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • LocationOrange County, NY

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:36 PM

For the DT25/50 users out there, who have their JTV>HD500>DT25/50, is there a way to set up patches using no amp model?

Try this patch as a starting point.  You have to keep the amp in channel A on to hear anything in channel B.  If you turn it off, the DT defaults to the internal B amp and we don't want that.  FS1 switches between amp and no amp for your acoustic models by using 2 volume pedals set to zero.  Remember the topology in the DT physical power section is set by the amp in Channel A no matter what is in channel B.  Type I is very different from Type III even with an acoustic!  Play around with it.

Make sure you have input 2 set to same for this patch or you won't get any signal in channel B.  

This does work but I still have a lot to do to get a good acoustic sound from my 2X12 with Celestion V30's.  I know its not perfect but its a start...

http://line6.com/cus...ne/tone/258828/

l6+sig+pic-1.png   

#25 arislaf

arislaf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1028 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:07 AM

I really like this song. Is it your original composition?

It sounds to me like it belongs in a classic Lucio Fulci film like City of the Living Dead or The Beyond maybe - an excellent piece, bravo if you wrote it.

And I agree the acoustic sounds better on Ballad of Hades than on Paradox.

I am assuming you used the exact same signal path/processing/acoustic model for both tracks. My experience recording has been the opposite, the recordings I have made with the new acoustics sound better to me than those made with my older Variaxes, but I have not recorded and compared anything in the style you are playing here - makes me think maybe the old acoustics will work better for certain things and the new ones will work better for others.

Great honor from you to say that, yes, it is my original composition.

And again yes, exact same signal path/processing/acoustic model, only difference pre and after HD acoustics.

Lucky for me, I have a jtv and a variax 700, so I can use both acoustics at any time :)

#26 cruisinon2

cruisinon2

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:36 PM

Eureka!!!!!

Ok...so I finally found a way to get a decent acoustic sound, particularly when using really percussive strumming. I started with a stock patch on the 500X. Its in the BASS/ACO/VOC bank : 7B Solo Acoustic 2. The unaltered preset is useless and sounds like someone stepping on a duck, but with enough tweeking I was finally able to get a pretty convincing scooped tone that I can use with a fairly percussive attack. All it really is, is 5 EQ modules strung together, along with a tube compressor and a little reverb, no amp model. Each EQ module is the same (parametric+preamp), but targets a different center frequency. So its a different approach than than the one in the blog which has been discussed above. A bunch of EQs all strung together seems redundant, but it worked for me. With enough twiddling of knobs, I bet some of you guys who've been having trouble will be able to find a usable tone.

I'd post all the specific settings, but everybody's setup is different, I doubt these will work for everybody anyway...that and I did it all listening through a pair of cheap $40 cans, my good AKGs having gone to that big studio in the sky a couple months back. I encourage anybody who has had issues with this to give it a try...I spent more than an hour making really small changes, and playing the same part repeatedly, so dont get frustrated if it takes a while.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: acoustic, jack cable, gt8, jtv89

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users