6 replies to this topic

#1 emmebbi

emmebbi

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:35 AM

Where can I find detailed instructions about using the M20d graphic Dyn Eq? The manual contains only general informations now, but I think it'd be a great idea to distribute some detaliled suggestions about deep using all M20d dynamics and effect processors, too. Thanks

#2 antonioctd

antonioctd

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:03 AM

or videos... I can use most of the M20d's features very well.

But I admit the Dynamic EQ is still a bit of a mystery...

#3 emmebbi

emmebbi

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:03 PM

hi friends, is there anybody that know how to use the DYNAMIC EQUALIZER? thanks

#4 tochiro

tochiro

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:43 PM

Yes, I also would like videos about the use of the Dyna Eq, the compressor and the limiter as well.

#5 ArneLine6

ArneLine6

Line 6 Staff

• Product Management
  • PipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:58 AM

The dynamic eq works like a parametric eq where the gain is controlled dynamically. This means it can be used to cut or boost a certain frequency when the signal is above or below a certain threshold. For example:

I want to remove some sibilance when my vocalist sings really loud but when he sings more quietly I need these high frequencies so it does not sound dull or muffled.

I set the dynamic eq to cut around 7kHz by 8dB and set the threshold so this starts to happen when my singer gets loud. There is also a second threshold and gain that can be used to, e.g. boost if the singer gets really low.

This example is basically showing how to use the dynamic eq like a de-esser. There are many other ways to shape your sound with the dynamic eq and just trying it is the best way to explore the possibilities.

#6 Digital-sound

Digital-sound

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:20 PM

Wow. I didn't completely understand myself. What a great feature. Especially for vocals. Thanks for that description.

#7 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2740 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:33 PM

You can also use it the other way around and have it boost an instrument or vocal at some frequency when that channels signal drops too low.  Actually you can do both :)

But don't feel like you have to use it.  No doubt many don't know how to use it because it doesn't exist on very mixers at any price point and a little bit goes a very long way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users