USMC7312

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationViera, FL

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:44 AM

Hi,

I just purchased a Line 6 L3T to act as a Monitor for my Quad-Capture and I have what I hope is a quick best practices question.  I am using balanced 1/4 TRS to Male XLR cables.  I will be using this exclusively for playing and recording electric mostly but some acoustic guitar using Cubase and Amplitube.

Questions:

1. Am I better off connecting from 1L & 2R on the Quad Capture to the L3T Mixer Control Panel Channel 1 & 2 with Stereo link enabled or should I connect the QuadCapture 1L to the L3T System Control Panel Line Input XLR/TRS Jack?

2. Would it be considered best practice to place the L3T Speaker Mode into Floor Monitor state?

I appreciate your feedback along with any other guidance or best practice that I may not have considered.

Line-6-L3T---Quad-Capture---Mixer_zpsd44

Line-6-L3T---Quad-Capture---System_zpsbe

USMC7312

13 PRS Paul's Guitar  --> Mesa Boogie 5:50 Express Plus ++ Wampler Pedals

--> HD POD Pro X --> Line 6 StageSource L3T

09 Martin OM-28 Marquis --> Marshall AS100D

#2 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2521 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:54 PM

Either way could be fine. Just depends on whether or not you plan on using the EQ and EFX built in the mixer or you are controlling all of that further up the chain. I sometimes use an Octa Capture and I plug it into the input on the amp panel.

#3 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1275 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:03 PM

I'm tending to think that your second option, in restricting what you're hearing to being "Left channel only" from the Roland, may not adversely affect some sounds, but will DEFINITELY reduce the ambience and depth of others.

I'd also like to offer yet another option for you to consider...

...and that's using a pair of custom TRS to RCA cables that would allow your Quad-Capture to come into the L3t's "Aux" Inputs.

They'd need to have NO sleeve (Outer "Gnd" or "Earth" shield connection, often braided) wired to those RCA plugs, with just their internal "hot" or "tip" conductor going to the central pins of the RCA plugs and the internal "cold" or "ring" conductor going to the RCA plugs' outer "skirt" contacts.

(You could also try achieving the same hook-up via "off the shelf" guitar jack plug to RCA adapter cables by dint of using the Roland's "Ground Lift" switch to get rid of any hum that's likely to ensue.) 

To my mind, connecting your Quad-Capture to the "Aux" inputs could allow you maximum flexibility of experimentation with (and choice from) a staggering variety of practice, recording and performance configurations, whereby that amazingly powerful mixer you've bought in your L3t could possibly become something of a "control hub" for your entire Marshall, Mesa-Boogie and Roland rig ...and/ or simply be used on its own.

As for your L3t standing vertically or lying on its side, I'd have thought that the "best practice" is simply the one that suits YOU best, as its inbuilt mini gyro system will automatically "tailor" the response of your L3t to match its orientation.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: quad-capture, l3t, recording, monitor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users