Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I Think I Have A Problem With My Variax Usb Interface

Hi guys,

Two days ago I bought a jtv 89-f, and I am loving it. But yesterday I tried to connect it to my macbook pro using the variax usb interface and de vdi cable.

The connectios that I made were

1)jtv-89f -> variax usb interface using the vdi cable, 

2)variax usb interface -> macbook pro

3)Put a battery and a 1/4 jack on the variax, so I could power on the jtv-89f, on the module knob, and raised the volume(someone said that this denies the variax to go to sleep )

The thing is, I can`t use monkey to connect to the guitar, but worst I can`t have any sort of light indicators on the variax usb interface. I read that some guys when have problems at least have a red light indicator, mine are always off.

I have the latest release of monkey, installed workbench and workbench hd using the monkey, and installed the usb driver using the line 6 download support because the monkey doesn`t recognise the usb interface.

I tried different usb ports and different computers and the lights of the Variax usb interface are always off. I even register my jtv on line 6.

Any iddeas? Am I doing something wrong? Or maybe the usb interface is "broken". Thanks in advance ;)

Hi arislaf,

I always put the 1/4 normal cable (jack) and the battery is always full charged when I try that connection. When i press the guitar knob, it shows the background light, showing that the guitar is "on", but the usb interface (connected to my mac, or other computer) doesn`t show any light :(. Do I have to select any special posicion on the knob?,like costum1 or costum2?

I really don`t know what I am doing wrong, i think the usb interface may be with problems. :(

Thanks ;)

one other option is to try a new usb cable from interface to computer.  This is NOT the guitar.  Even without the guitar cable plugged in you should still have a green light on the end that connects to the computer and a red light on the guitar end.  In fact you should have two red lights if the drivers aren't installed right.

If you still have no lights after rechecking with a known good cable, it is almost certainly the interface. Open a ticket with Line 6.

Radatats,

I understand what you are saying, but my interface it not the same you are saying, you are talking about this

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/line-6-variax-workbench-1.5

right?

My usb interface that came with the jtv 89-f it different, I can`t detach the usb cable from the usb interface, only de VDI cable.

I can`t find a picture of my usb interface but it`s simmilar with this one except that one of ends uses an ethernet cable (VDI cable)

http://www.marshallmusicdirect.com/images/top_L.jpg

:(

This is if I am not mistaken the old style from variax of first generation...I don't think that this should be delivered with your variax...should be the first one that you showed http://www.musicians...x-workbench-1.5 I am not sure if I am correct but most probably is the hub faulty/incompatible

I bought the first generation Variax v700 many years back, and they were not shipped with a USB dongle or workbench back then, I had to buy Workbench separately for about £80. I received a CD with the software and the USB dongle which came with a USB cable and the Variax ethercon cable. When I bought my JTV59 when they were first launched they were shipped with the USB dongle and cables and you could download workbench for free. Both of mine look like the one in the musicians friend link posted above. I have never seen a USB dongle that looks like the one pictured with a permanently attached USB cable and opaque black plastic, so perhaps it is a very recent introduction? I don't know. Wen did two_faces receive his JTV?

you definitely do not have the right usb interface.  You should have gotten a separate sealed box with your guitar that had the battery, charger, cables, interface, allen wrenches and documentation.  If you didn't get that or it wasn't sealed, you need to contact the seller immediately.  They need to get you the right interface.

edit - apparently not correct, see below.  However, I just got my JTV-69 a couple of days ago and I got the "old" style...

Thanks, so this is definitely a problem with the usb adaptor. I will try to contact my store and hope that I don`t have to return my guitar too so that they send me a new usb adaptor :D! I will give you guys the feedback of the progress. Thank you all ;)

the one thing nobody seems to have suggested is to uninstall the USB drivers and download a fresh install package.  Try downloading direct from the downloads page instead of through Monkey.  select Variax USB, all software, your OS and scroll to the bottom.  You will see Drivers, Ver 1.0.7.2.

Do a fresh install and reboot your computer.  Now plug in your interface and see what happens.  If you get lights proceed with Monkey...

Hope it works!

Radatats, thank you for all your effort. O already tried that. I have a MAC, so in the download page the only drivers that I get are these "This driver provides support for the Variax USB interface under OS 10.3". I installed them too but no success :(, maybe Charrlie_Watt can tell us if he can obtain a light from the usb part of the adapter connected to a computer without monkey or any line 6 driver installed. From what I understand if Ido that at least I should get a red light from the usb part, but I can`t :(

I think that to. I sent a email to line 6 and they agree with us, that the interface must be broken. They asked for a scan of my invoice and to register the guitar online. I already registered it (first thing I did when I arrived from the store :D) and will scan the invoice and send it to them. I will let you now of the progress. Thanks everyone, really ;)

TheRealZap, thanks for sharing. In my case e even used the cat cable between the network of my computer and my home router and it worked. Did any light turned on when you pluged the usb interface? For what we are seeing, if at least one of the lights goes on that means that the usb interface must be working and the problem is between the variax and the usb connector. 

Guys I have already submited my home address and I`m waiting for a new interface.

;)

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, line 6 sent me a letter saying me that they will send me a package with the usb interface. The letter also says the tracking number for an ups traking system. Funny thing is that the interface arrived a few hours later, so I got the letter and tha package at the same day. The usb interface is different from mine. The new interface is this one http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/line-6-variax-workbench-1.5  the one that many of you guys have. Hope there isn`t any differesnce between this one and the one that was sold to me. As soon I can get I will test the usb interface with the variax. At least I can say that now I have a green light in the usb side when I connect it to the computer ;). Thanks guys for all the help ;)

My problem is a little different and worse, my interface, turn on the 2 sides, is green, but still I can not use the workbench, serious bugs happen, already swapped all cables, and did not solve everything, not only changed still the interface, because here do not have to buy. the strange thing is that the lights turn on.

My problem is a little different and worse, my interface, turn on the 2 sides, is green, but still I can not use the workbench, serious bugs happen, already swapped all cables, and did not solve everything, not only changed still the interface, because here do not have to buy. the strange thing is that the lights turn on.

guilhordas, have you tried another computer to test the connection?Maybe is a software problem. Does the interface used to work? Maybe you need to ask line 6 to replace it.

I already tried it on several computers, and already swapped cables etc, not only changed the usb interface yet

You really have to contact line 6 about this, because you can have a problem on your usb interface, or worse, on your variax. Contact line 6 and expose your problem. Good luck ;) boa sorte

thanks for the attention, but buying outside my country does not help much, because in Brazil, all that you have to buy by mail above $ 50 you are taxed by the government. The currency in my country is the Real and  3 reals = 1 euro  and  2.5 Real = 1 $,

it is very expensive to import the same way you buy here.

I bought my guitar used, there is no garantee, i have to buy a new one interface but in my country it costs $ 250 , it is a absurd and it is very hard to find

Here's one with the cables on eBay for $65 US...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LINE-6-VARIAX-WORKBENCH-HARDWARE-INTERFACE-/331123303776?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item4d187ca560