Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Playing Softly

Sean Halley mentioned on his video on getting good acoustic sounds that they sound better played softly. Tried it and it worked. So  I thought I'd try the same principle across other models.  And I found that just about every one sounds better and closer to the original models if played gently.  As a result I'm trying to adjust my technique slightly.  It seems that digging in brings out the worst in the Variax possibly due to the effect on the piezos or possibly the complexity of the harmonics it causes. Does anybody else find this or is it my imagination?

Inevitably the sensitivity of the piezo pickups will vary, with manufacturing tolerances and with strings (9's apply less pressure than 11's).

Line 6 had to come up with a default software set-up that works out of the box, so they did two things:

1) Set the modelling so that it is quite sensitive so that weak piezos don't cause JTV to be returned

2) Built compression/limiting into the modelling so that even the most enthusiastic strumming doesn't result in digital distortion

Which is great, but it means that if you have sensitive piezos or have gone with heavier strings you lose sensitivity and the models sound flat and over-compressed before they even leave the JTV

But the good news is that this is not a fixed situation, because Workbench HD includes the ability to set "Global String Volume" which appears to control the amplification or (or perhaps the sensitivity to) the individual piezos before they hit the models.  Connect the JTV to the computer using the provided cables/interface, with a charged battery, and a 1/4" cable to an Amp or something else through which you can monitor what is happening (not VDI to HD500 because it doesn't work, but the 1/4" into HD500 is fine) and string by string reduce the gain until you find the point where you are just starting to get compression when you pluck the string the hardest that you normally do.  That will give you maximum dynamic range on all the models.

It might mean coming down a lot - especially if you are using 11s.

Now that the string sensitivity is down you might have quiet models, but you just need to go into the model definitions and boost the output level back up again.

This is unconfirmed speculation on the part of me and a few others because Line 6 have never confirmed or denied anything, but it seems to work, so why not try it?

I have tried playing softly and I can only manage it at home for a short period - I soon go into my normal playing mode which is not overly heavy but is more heavy handed then Sean Halley and Paul Hindmarsh.

Also - as soon as I get into a band situation - either rehearsal or live - I revert back to my normal playing - force of habit but also because the rest of the band won't let me be loud enough to be able to play gently - furthermore - playing the strings gently when you are trying to cover a "go for it" rock song just does not feel right.    :)

I agree with Rewolf48 that it is worth adjusting string volume so you can play with your normal style.  I did try that after I first went to v2.0 and models sounded better.  But I have since rolled back to v1.9 and not yet had the chance to go back in and rebalance string volumes in Workbench.

Sean Halley mentioned on his video on getting good acoustic sounds that they sound better played softly. Tried it and it worked. So  I thought I'd try the same principle across other models.  And I found that just about every one sounds better and closer to the original models if played gently.  As a result I'm trying to adjust my technique slightly.  It seems that digging in brings out the worst in the Variax possibly due to the effect on the piezos or possibly the complexity of the harmonics it causes. Does anybody else find this or is it my imagination?

I think you're right...that worked for me too.  I suspect that the prospect of having to do that horrifies some players, though...lol. Bottom line is, these guitars are a very different animal than what we are all used to. I don't think there will be any universal solutions, though. Everyone approaches their instrument a bit differently.  As such, any issues encountered will vary, as will their solutions...from player to player.  Experimenting seems to the name of the game.  Tedious and frustrating perhaps, but anyone who wants to spend the time can probably find a work-around for some of the odd little noises that these guitars can produce.  I was convicned my guitar had something wrong with it at first due to some peculiar overtones on palm-muted strings when playing through any high gain amp setting. Only happened when using certain alternate tunings...once I realized that I could make it go away by slightly repositioning my picking hand (which I discovered COMPLETELY by accident), it totaly changed my perception of the instrument. Anything like that, which can be produced / removed at will, I can't call a "defect"...just the nature of what is really a very complicated beast.  With that much signal processing at work, there are bound to be some quirks...

• Upvote 1

I think you really have to commit to the JTV being your main axe and not one of your axes. After a frustrating period of trying diiferent strings and setting on the piezo sensitivity as well as playing very lightly, I gave up and sold my JTV. It was really cool in many ways but not quite ready for prime time in my collection. My very soft to very hard playing are intrisic to me, and since I'm playing my stuff, and not someone else's it was too much of a limitation. If I were a pro studio player I would likely feel the opposite though.

a slight variation I have found is learning to actually use the guitar volume!  I have typically kept my guitar volume maxed and not bothered to use it in the past but I find it makes a big difference with the JTV.  It truly is responsive with the various models and by lowering the guitar volume I can still pick a little harder without annoying piezo noises.  I also find a lot of nuanced tones can be coaxed out of this rig with just some simple changes; you don't have to add tons of effects and eq. 

I am just the opposite... I am selling all my other gear with the exception of one backup guitar and this is the one rig I will keep until the knobs fall off...

• Upvote 1