#1 onetruevibe

onetruevibe

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:19 AM

Hello all, 

I can't find it today, but I saw somewhere on here instructions for sending two outputs from the HD500X - one direct to the mixing console and another to my amp.

IIRC: XLR Left Output to the mixing console and the 1/4" Left output to my amp. Does that sound correct?  What output setting do you recommend I use?

Thanks for helping out a noob.

#2 radatats

radatats

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1038 posts
  • LocationOrange County, NY

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:37 PM

Send BOTH XLR outs to the mixing board because they do not sum.  Each sends only its own side of the signal. 

Send the left 1/4 out to your amp because it DOES sum; both left and right signals will then go to your amp.

Picture4.png

#3 onetruevibe

onetruevibe

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:15 PM

Thanks for the quick response, radatats.  I was wondering about that - I know that some of the effects are in stereo and I would want to be sure what was coming out of the mains matched what was happening on stage.  So, I guess I'll be taking up two channels on the mixing console going forward.   :)  Unless I do a submix.

What output setting should I use?  Should I use the Studio/Direct as recommended for mixing consoles, or what is recommended for my amp?

Thanks again guys!!

#4 jandrio

jandrio

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:26 AM

You can send only one XLR to mixer, provided you place a noise gate as the last FX on the chain to sum up to mono.

#5 onetruevibe

onetruevibe

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:27 AM

Thanks jandrio.  I'll give the noise gate a shot.  It's good to see I have options.

I have to ask, though - is what I'm trying to do uncommon?    Certainly, I want my guitar in the stage monitor mix, but since I am often positioned beside the drummer, I like to have a little extra stage volume for myself.  It seems like I am having to dial-in a workaround for what I would think is a pretty common set up.  I don't know.  Maybe not.  Maybe I'm missing something.

I wonder if I can make use of the PHONES output?  Or - maybe I can use the 1/4" L output and send it to my amp, and then use the line-level output from my amp to send to the signal to the mixing console?

Thanks again everyone! 

EDIT TO ADD:  Here's a link to the archived thread a referred to in my original post, where a Line 6 Customer Support dude (Line6David) recommended sending the unbalanced L/mono to the amp and the balanced L XLR to the mixing console: http://line6.com/sup...ew/thread/77161

#6 jandrio

jandrio

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:53 AM

@onetruevibe:

Check also this one:

http://line6.com/sup...ble/#entry23899

#7 onetruevibe

onetruevibe

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:49 AM

I'm a bit neurotic, so bear with me.  I'm also not an expert on the HD500X.  I'm new to this awesomely sophisticated and amazingly powerful FX processor.  These are just my observations as I try to acquaint myself with the HD and try to work it into my situation.  Maybe someone out there will find this helpful - or even better - correct my thinking if I have any of this wrong.

Anyway - here goes:

Situation: I would like to be able to send outputs from the HD to both the mixing console (direct) and to my amp on stage (to control my own stage volume).  Without in-ear monitors, I have no way to control my stage volume in the stage monitors - which this is important.

The Issue: There is only one "summed" stereo output off of the HD - the 1/4" Left Mono.  All of the other outputs (1/4" R mono and the L and R XLRs) represent only their respective sides of stereo.  That said, if I use the 1/4" L Mono out to run direct to the mixing console, a "summed" stereo signal will come out of the Mains and the audience will rejoice!  However, I now have only the 1/4" R mono or the L and R XLRs to send to my stage monitor - which means I will only be hearing the L or R side of whatever I am playing.  If I switch up these scenario, then the audience will only hear one side of the stereo signal - and cease rejoicing.

Implications: Whenever using stereo FX (e.g. stereo delay, phaser, etc.), someone is only going to hear half of the signal. I imagine this might be problematic when using a stereo phaser set up for L/R - when the signal pans to the unrepresented side of stereo, I imagine that the audience would hear.....nada.  Right?

Possible Workarounds:

1. Send 1/4" L mono to mixing console and rely on the stage monitors - and risk blasting the vocalists when trying to hear myself over the drummer.
2. Send XLR L mono to the mixing console and deprive the audience of the R side of the stereo signal - and send the 1/4" L mono to my amp.
3. Send both XLRs to the mixing console and take up two channels on the board - and send the 1/4" L mono to my amp.
4. Send the 1/4" L mono to my amp, and mic the amp.
5. Refrain from using stereo FX?

Another interesting issue this presents is - what output setting should you use in the HD Utilities?  Studio/Direct makes sense if you are sending directly to the mixing console via XLR or 1/4" L mono - but if you are also sending to your amp...Studio/Direct is not necessarily the best output setting for that component.

I'm thinking Line 6 must have had the following setups in mind:

1. Send both XLRs (or 1/4" L mono) to the mixing console and rely on the monitor mix for stage volume.  Having an Aviom unit or similar would make this a perfect set up.

2. Send the 1/4" L mono to the guitar amp, and mic the amp - send that to the mixing console.

So tell me - am I understanding all of this correctly?  Someone chime in, because if I have this wrong, I don't want to spread misinformation.

Thanks!

#8 brian6string

brian6string

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:21 AM

You can get a Y adapter for the two XLR outs (2 females -> 1 male) , couldn't you? Like this one:

HOS%20YXF119.jpg

#9 onetruevibe

onetruevibe

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:13 AM

Ahhhh! (face palm)!  This would allow me to use workaround #3 - send XLRs to mixing console (using up just one channel) and the 1/4" L mono to my amp for stage volume!  I'll order one of these and try it over the weekend!  

Outstanding is still the question of what output setting to use on the HD.  Studio/Direct works for the send to the mixing console, but probably isn't optimal for the send to the amp.  

I still think I'm trying to make this thing do something it wasn't designed to do.   :huh:

Once I get the Y adapter, I'll play around with the output settings to see if I can make something work.

Thanks again guys for taking the time to respond.

Brian

#10 brian6string

brian6string

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:46 PM

No prob. I have used this in situations where the sound dudes can't spare an extra channel (all of my patches are stereo), so I can tell you this works for sure. I only run the XLRs out so I don't know the answer about the 1/4" / output setting.

#11 jandrio

jandrio

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:21 AM

Instead of using y-splitter cable, consider placing a noise gate as your last FX to sum up to mono.
Then you could send only one XLR to PA.

There are articles out there recommending not to use y-cables, claiming that "a wye-connector used to mix two signals into one is being abused and may even damage the equipment involved".

Check out this one:

http://www.rane.com/note109.html

op download the pdf:
http://www.rane.com/...Why_Not_Wye.pdf

#12 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1196 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:07 AM

No need for the spliter.  Just make sure your signal at the end is mono and both XLR outputs will be identical.

#13 onetruevibe

onetruevibe

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:05 AM

No need for the spliter.  Just make sure your signal at the end is mono and both XLR outputs will be identical.

Thanks Charlie!  Sorry for the noobie follow up question - can you give me an example of how I can make sure the signal is mono at the end of the chain?  Is there a specific FX that I can use to accomplish this?  jandrio recommended a noise gate at the end of the chain.  Are there other ways?

Thanks!

#14 cruisinon2

cruisinon2

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:21 AM

Outstanding is still the question of what output setting to use on the HD.  Studio/Direct works for the send to the mixing console, but probably isn't optimal for the send to the amp.  

I do it the "wrong" way and leave everything on studio/direct...cab emulations and all, sometimes into the front of a head and cab, sometimes into a separate Carvin tube poweramp and cab. Why? I like the way it sounds, and I find it easier to tweek...and that's really all that matters. I've talked to a few others on here who run similar setups (into cambo amps, etc...but all running studio/direct). All boils down to what you like...I find that using just the preamp out has all the aural appeal of a bandsaw...particularly with high gain patches, but that's just me. Your mileage may vary...but there's no "right" or "wrong". There are other threads around where this is discussed...just not sure which ones, lol.

#15 radatats

radatats

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1038 posts
  • LocationOrange County, NY

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:05 AM

Thanks Charlie!  Sorry for the noobie follow up question - can you give me an example of how I can make sure the signal is mono at the end of the chain?  Is there a specific FX that I can use to accomplish this?  jandrio recommended a noise gate at the end of the chain.  Are there other ways?

Thanks!

you can put any mono FX block as the last block in your chain to ensure you have identical signals on left and right XLR and 1/4 outs.  See the link below for the full list of stereo and mono effects in the 500. 

There are a lot of good articles in the knowledge base.  Don't just rely on the forums for answers.

http://line6.com/sup...for-pod-hd-r567

Picture4.png

#16 jandrio

jandrio

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:21 AM

The noise gate is the less DSP consuming FX, with no tone coloring.

I believe it is the optimum choice for summing up to mono.

#17 onetruevibe

onetruevibe

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:03 PM

The noise gate is the less DSP consuming FX, with no tone coloring.

I believe it is the optimum choice for summing up to mono.

Not to be contradictory, but I gave this approach a shot and found the exact opposite to be true.   I added a noise gate to the end of the line on several of the presets in the pre-loaded set lists and experienced dramatic changes in the tone.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong.   :unsure:

#18 gunpointmetal

gunpointmetal

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:08 PM

also remember that to have a good direct tone you need cab and mic modeling, but most people find that that doesn't provide a very good tone through a guitar amp. Thats why its so confusing as to why we don't have dual output options for the XLR and 1/4" i.e. one (XLR) gets cab/mic modeling all the time while one (1/4") goes "amp"....

#19 dbagchee

dbagchee

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts
  • LocationWatsonville, CA

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:57 PM

Are you setting noise to gate to the "off" settings (Decay 100%, Threshold 0%)? That should be pretty transparent. Studio EQ should be pretty good too.

If I was running your setup I'd leave it in studio direct. I won't sound quite as good on stage but you should be able to get a workable tone while the FOH (and your audience) will get the best sound.

Check out my band Asyst: asysttheband.com

#20 jandrio

jandrio

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:14 AM

Not to be contradictory, but I gave this approach a shot and found the exact opposite to be true.   I added a noise gate to the end of the line on several of the presets in the pre-loaded set lists and experienced dramatic changes in the tone.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong.   :unsure:

Decay 100%, Threshold 0%, as per  dbagchee's post.

The Studio EQ is NOT a mono FX, it is a "True Stereo".

http://line6.com/sup...for-pod-hd-r567

#21 onetruevibe

onetruevibe

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:46 AM

Decay 100%, Threshold 0% - that's where I was going wrong.   Thanks, guys, for being so patient.

I'm using Studio/Direct now with the noise gate at the end of the chain on my FX.  

XLR L Direct and 1/4" L to my Yamaha MSR100 stage monitor. 

I think I'm good to go.  You guys rock!

#22 jcosta_sr

jcosta_sr

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:13 PM

Interesting stuff - I have the dreamrig so my amp is being serviced by Link 6.  Should I use the XLRs to go to the mixing board?  Since the output of the HD 500 is changing given the patch - Electric Guitar vs Accoustic patch, will that be an issue for the mixer?

#23 jandrio

jandrio

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:07 PM

@onetruevibe:
Glad 2 hear you finally got it rocking...
Rgds/John

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hd500x, outputs, amp, mixer, two

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users