Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Fbv Mkii Very Good With Ipad

Hello

Just wanted to follow up a post from february asking about using an fbv mkII foot controller with an ipad.

I use one and it's fantastic. I use it with a powered hub (battery powered with an iPhone type usb rechargeable battery pack).

With a camera connection kit it seems very reliable. I use it with JamUp Pro for guitar effects and for controlling Loopy HD. It also works well with Amplitube.

The FBV mkII has always been great for me for its versatility (great with Reason), but this has made it even better and helped remove the computer element from my rig... Almost.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the info. Bought a cheap powered hub from future shop and now I have foot control for Jamup, Amplitube and StompBox. I have MobileIn, but unfortunately it uses the same connection as the camera connection kit, and the app doesn't support midi.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've got an MKii express foot controller, the powered hub, and an Ipad camera connection kit, and my Ipad with retina display won't recognize the controller in Loopy HD ?

Can anyone tell me what specific settings I need to use when I set up the controller switches to send Midi CC# messages 1-4 for each pedal (set up on my PC) ...

What am I missing ???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

BB

• 3 months later...

Stevepod,

Exactly how did you connect your Line 6 MKII Express Pedal Board to your iPad? Does it matter what gen iPad: 1, 2, 3, 4? Currently I have iPad 2 with iRig Midi. I believe the Line 6 midi and iRig are identical. Do you use this or something else as a midi dock to the iPad? So, I say again, exactly how did you connect your Line 6 MKII Express Pedal Board to your iPad?

Would be forever grateful if you anwer this question. Line 6 if you are listening, do you have the answer?

• 2 months later...

Stevepod,

Exactly how did you connect your Line 6 MKII Express Pedal Board to your iPad? Does it matter what gen iPad: 1, 2, 3, 4? Currently I have iPad 2 with iRig Midi. I believe the Line 6 midi and iRig are identical. Do you use this or something else as a midi dock to the iPad? So, I say again, exactly how did you connect your Line 6 MKII Express Pedal Board to your iPad?

Would be forever grateful if you anwer this question. Line 6 if you are listening, do you have the answer?

Hello Hindilogo, 

As I'm also using the FBV with an iPad a powered usb hub and JamUp, here we go : 

- plug the hub battery pack to any plug of your room (it is a powered hub after all, you need POWER)

- connect the camera connection kit to the ipad 30pin / lightning port (depending on your iPad, both kits are sold by Apple)

- connect the powered usb hub to the camera connection kit (the powered hub is sold with a mini-usb/usb type A jack)

- connect the pedalboard to any USB entry of the hub

(you can connect any other USB devices to the hub, which is acting as an extension of the initial camera connection kit...)

Bingo. Hope that helps... ?

• 4 months later...

It's good to hear the shortboard works with Jamup via a camera kit and powered hub; I just purchased a used shortboard mkII for use with my X3, and it would be great if I could sell my FCB1010 and use the shortboard instead with Jamup.

One question on the shortboard and Jamup; I understand you can program the midi functions in the mkII shortboard with the Line 6 editor.  Does that mean that any midi changes you make to the mkII shortboard with the Line 6 editor will remain programmed in the shortboard, or do you need the Line 6 editor to translate fixed messages from the shortboard to the changed settings?  If the changes stay with the shortboard, that would be terrific!!

So based on this post I bought the FBV MKII and an iPad with the hopes of being able to send MIDI notes from the foot controller to the iPad and control aspects of LoopCommunity's PRIME app. When I went to connect it, I originally ran into the "Accessory Unavailable: The attached accessory uses too much power" error, but this was solved by connecting things in a different order (Thanks, Mahousse).

Now that I've gotten it to turn on, I'd received another error telling me that the FBV MKII is not a supported device. I'm hoping that I'm doing something wrong as the name of this thread is "Fbv Mkii Very Good With Ipad." Can anyone shed some light to this? What do I do now to make this work?

So based on this post I bought the FBV MKII and an iPad with the hopes of being able to send MIDI notes from the foot controller to the iPad and control aspects of LoopCommunity's PRIME app. When I went to connect it, I originally ran into the "Accessory Unavailable: The attached accessory uses too much power" error, but this was solved by connecting things in a different order (Thanks, Mahousse).

Now that I've gotten it to turn on, I'd received another error telling me that the FBV MKII is not a supported device. I'm hoping that I'm doing something wrong as the name of this thread is "Fbv Mkii Very Good With Ipad." Can anyone shed some light to this? What do I do now to make this work?

Do you have a powered usb hub between the FBV and the iPad?  I can't imagine the iPad could power the FBV by itself, iPads are notoriously finicky about powering external devices through the camera adapter.  Also, what version of iOS is on your iPad, and what version iPad is it?

Usually the "not supported device" error is bad news, as it means the attached device is not class compliant, but we know the FBV is.  Maybe the FBV power needs are on the edge of what the iPad can supply, and it is getting conflicting data on whether it can power the FBV or not.

FWIW I have successfully used the Belkin F4U040 powered USB hub (available off the shelf at Best Buy) and Apple camera kit adapter to attach multiple class compliant USB devices to an iPad 2 with iOS 7.  It was able to connect both a Roland/Edirol midi interface (with advanced driver turned off) and a Tascam IUR2 audio interface (set to PC mode) to the camera adapter, and both worked very well with Positivegrid's Jamup Pro.  The pedal used in this setup was a Behringer FCB1010.

I plan to try the Belkin USB hub with the MKII shortboard and a camera adapter with my iPad 2, and will report the results here in the next few days.

Do you have a powered usb hub between the FBV and the iPad?  I can't imagine the iPad could power the FBV by itself, iPads are notoriously finicky about powering external devices through the camera adapter.  Also, what version of iOS is on your iPad, and what version iPad is it?

Usually the "not supported device" error is bad news, as it means the attached device is not class compliant, but we know the FBV is.  Maybe the FBV power needs are on the edge of what the iPad can supply, and it is getting conflicting data on whether it can power the FBV or not.

FWIW I have successfully used the Belkin F4U040 powered USB hub (available off the shelf at Best Buy) and Apple camera kit adapter to attach multiple class compliant USB devices to an iPad 2 with iOS 7.  It was able to connect both a Roland/Edirol midi interface (with advanced driver turned off) and a Tascam IUR2 audio interface (set to PC mode) to the camera adapter, and both worked very well with Positivegrid's Jamup Pro.  The pedal used in this setup was a Behringer FCB1010.

I plan to try the Belkin USB hub with the MKII shortboard and a camera adapter with my iPad 2, and will report the results here in the next few days.

I do have a powered USB hub between the FBV and iPad. It is an iPad Mini running iOS 7.1.2. I don't know which generation it is but it has the lightning port. Target and Best Buy were selling them last month for $199 as they don't have retina displays. 

I'm using the Plugable USB 2.0 4 Port Hub. (http://plugable.com/products/usb2-hub4bc)

I got passed the issue of not enough power which was resolved by plugging things in a different order. I'm using the MKII Express (not Shortboard) if that makes any difference. I believe they're the same as far as this goes, but I figured that detail might matter.

Thanks for your response, by the way. I appreciate all the help I can get!

Unfortunately the folks at Guitar Center do not seem to know the difference between a FBV Shortboard and an Express, they advertised the pedal as a Shortboard but what they had turned out to be an Express when I went to pick it up.  So I'm afraid I don't have one to work with and test after all.  Maybe others here can help going forward.

Unfortunately the folks at Guitar Center do not seem to know the difference between a FBV Shortboard and an Express, they advertised the pedal as a Shortboard but what they had turned out to be an Express when I went to pick it up.  So I'm afraid I don't have one to work with and test after all.  Maybe others here can help going forward.

So you have an Express? That's what I have. I think either way it would be the same thing. I don't know why I can't get it to connect if everyone's saying it's a class compliant device. 

So you have an Express? That's what I have. I think either way it would be the same thing. I don't know why I can't get it to connect if everyone's saying it's a class compliant device. 

I do have an Express, but it is the MKI with no USB port, so we can't use it in this experiment.  Turns out GC had another supposed Shortboard MkII at another store, I ordered that and hope it will be in this week.  Again I'll give it a shot as soon as it arrives and let you know what I find out.

I received the second Guitar Center used Shortboard today, but it isn't a MkII (although it was advertised as such).  GC just can't seem to get this right.  So I now have an Express and a Shortboard, but both are MkI's and do not have USB ports.  My needs for a pedalboard can be met by the Shortboard MkI, and I am tired of fighting GC, so I'm afraid I'll have to bow out of the experiment for now.  Sorry guys.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I think I started this thread and then abandoned all those who followed.... sorry for that.

The reason I've found my way back here is because I have had a lot of painless pleasure using an FBV Shortboard MKII with an iPad 2 ios6. So much so, that I've just picked up an FBV Express MKII as a slightly smaller setup. BUT, the FBV Express MKII shows absolutely no sign of working. It powers on (via powered USB hub), but the iPad shows no sign of recognising it after plugging it in every order imaginable.

Reading scraps of info elsewhere, at least one person reports the Express working in IOS5 and another that the Shortboard does not work in IOS7.

In my setup (back in IOS6 / Ipad2) I have a Tascam IU2 audio interface (into USB hub) which needs to be plugged in in a very specific order to work properly, but the FBV shortboard is very unfussy, I can plug it in and out of the hub whatever the iPad is doing and it always registers and works straight off.

If anyone can provide any hope or advice for the Express then it would be appreciated. As an alternative, I can recommend the Logidy UMI3 for Loopy, but the switches are no good for toggling effects in JamUp or Amplitube (they don't 'latch' in IOS though they will on Mac/PC with utility software running). It does have an expression pedal input as well which I have used to control the Wah in JamUp.

What I find perplexing is surely there is someone at Line 6 with an iPad who is interested in App control? Why can't they be more forthcoming with information, even if it's bad news?

• 1 month later...

Has anyone confirmed whether the shortboard mkii and the express mkii share the same "class-compliant" driver? Express mkii worked with ipad up until iOS7. Then it became unrecognized for some reason that I cannot figure out so I sold it but am now looking at the shortboard mkii again.

Does the shortboard mkii work with iOS7? Can anyone confirm?

So does the Line 6 FBV shortboard MK2 work with the iPad the one that has the retina screen. I would like that use the FBV with the iPad for a live setting. I like the way Jamup Pro XT sounds and is set up. I want to be able to use it in a live setting. So is it this set up working or compatible with the iPad/Jamup Pro XT?

• 3 months later...
fbv-shortboard-mkII.jpg

Line-6 FBV Shortboard MK2 Owners manual

I found time to play with my Line-6 FBV Shortboard MK2 - with the goal of using this with my iPad / iPhone Rig and / or my Boss GP-10/MacMini Rig. 

The Line-6 FBV Shortboard MK2 is 100% USB powered, and of course the iPad+CCK does not provide enough power.

Next I tried inserting a powered USB hub ( Pluggable 4 port with 2.5Amp supply) between iPad(+CCK) and the  Line-6 FBV Shortboard MK2

I'm running IOS 7 and IOS 8 on multiple IOS devices ( iPad Air (IOS 7.5.2)  and iPhone 6 Plus (IOS8.1.2) 

To no avail - all I got after 10 seconds was a pop up error message on iPad 

"The connected device, Line-6 FBV Shortboard MK2 is NOT compatible."

and no MIDI data 

Then I tried using my old original 1st release iConnectMIDI black box 

5702.jpg

- plugging Line-6 FBV Shortboard MK2 into the USb Host port on the front of the iConnectMIDI  - Eurecka - I could see that the Line-6 FBV Shortboard MK2 was working and sending all its MIDI data to the iConnectMIDI's USB and MIDI Outputs. 

Next I tried feeding the Line-6 FBV Shortboard MK2 > ConnectMIDI USB Out > iPad+CCK - and had success with MIDI Data message from Line-6 FBV Shortboard MK2 into the iPad  - where i can use this for MIDI control of  Yonac ToneStack and IOS Synths patch changes when used with Tripleplay 

I can pre-program the FBV using its Line 6 FBV Control GUI configuration app on my Mac 

1411067623_1535842584_FBV_Short.PNG

-and save this to the internal flash memory inside FBV Shortboard MKII 

Then power down and connect up to remote MIDI control my iPad/iPhone 24 bit audio  / Fishman Tripleplay rig described here:

• 3 weeks later...

I am failing in getting the FBV Express mkII to work with my iPad Air 2 running iOS 8,  I am getting the "Device not supported" message. I am assuming this means that eihter the pedalboard is not really "Class complant" as Line6 says, or that Apple has changed anything in how iOS handles MIDI drivers. It is quite an important distinction since it shows where you can turn for a solution.

Or, is it time to sell the board and buy something different like the McMillen SoftStep

• 6 months later...

Hi all,

I saw an FBV Express Mark II for dirt cheap and would like to get confirmation from anyone who has had this to work before I go and purchase.

This is my current setup:

JamUp Plug > iPad Air iOS 8.4 > DI out for monitoring

I desperately need a controller and refuse to go with the irig Blueboard.

I know that the setup that once worked would be:

FBV Exp MKII > powered USB HUB > Camera Connection Kit > iPad

Has anyone had luck recently with these similar settings?

post-2262282-0-27492500-1439551336_thumb.jpg

post-2262282-0-85653700-1439551440_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hello again

Since ios7 the FBV shortboard MKII stopped working with my iPad (with powered hub & CCK). This was a great shame as, for me, it was the perfect controller for JamUp and Loopy.

Happily, I've got it working again (with iOS9 and ipad3) using a Kenton USB Midi Host. Not cheap at around £80, I paid half that for a rare second hand one, but now I have it working again I feel it was well worth it.

It does require a 5V power source, the battery pack I use to power my USB hub has 2 outputs, so that was easily solved.

Hope that's of use to someone.

• 4 months later...

Just a heads up that the FBV MkII seems to work again with iOS 9.3. I couldn't get this going in iOS 7 and 8 (device unsupported error message), but tried again today after updating iOS and it's working perfectly.

This is on an iPhone 6+ with the original lighting USB connection kit and a powered hub.

• 3 months later...

Amazing - I can confirm that the FBV MkII Shortboard is indeed working again in iOS 9.3., this has been my major ongoing iOS obsession since it stopped working in ios7 and I never expected it to recover functionality. I guess now I'll be praying it stays with every future update.

I did have it working with a Kenton USB midi host and midi cable, then over Bluetooth with a Yamaha md-BT01 (the 5pin midi one attached to the Kenton) and finally over Bluetooth with a Yamaha Ud-bt01 (with a battery pack). I'm very happy with this last wireless solution, but it's been a whole lot of head scratching and cash spending to be able to do what a simple cable can now once again do.

To anyone wondering, the FBV is a fantastic iOS controller, I currently have it setup to control Infinite Looper (top row), Bias FX (middle row and pedal) and Loopy HD (bottom row)

• 4 years later...

Hi,

Anyone noticed that the FBV MKII Shortboard has just stopped working ever since ios14. I was using mine on an iPad Pro 2020 through a USB C unpowered hub. I was also plugging in an Apogee Jam+ USB interface to the hub. All worked like a charm until ios14. I raised a case with PositiveGrid as I thought they needed to update their code (and they're still looking into it) however I've just noticed that actually even without any audio software in play, as soon as I plug in my Shortboard, the audio interface stops working. The shortboard powers up however the iPad doesn't seem to receive any output from it. Just wondering if it's working for anyone else on IOS14.

Someone mentioned this on the Audiobus forum that the FBV was not working on iOS 14. I tried mine and found the same. A real shame, I don’t think there’s anything Line 6 can do, I guess it may or may not come back in a future iOS (as happened before).

I use mine pretty much exclusively with a Yamaha ud-bt01 Bluetooth adapter (and a usb battery). I can confirm that does work in iOS 14.

1 hour ago, stevespod said:

Someone mentioned this on the Audiobus forum that the FBV was not working on iOS 14. I tried mine and found the same. A real shame, I don’t think there’s anything Line 6 can do, I guess it may or may not come back in a future iOS (as happened before).

I use mine pretty much exclusively with a Yamaha ud-bt01 Bluetooth adapter (and a usb battery). I can confirm that does work in iOS 14.

Thank you that is extremely helpful. I’ll look into it

• 3 weeks later...

I have 2 ipad pros. One is a 2016 with the Lightning charging port, the other is a 2018 with the USB-C charging port. Both running iOS 14 with proper adaptors for connections. I can get my FBV Express MKii to work on the the older ipad (the one with the Lightning port). I use it to control effects in Bias FX 2. As for the newer ipad, cannot get it to work. Don't know if the difference is Lightning vs USB-C or a program problem. As someone mentioned previously, it powers on but communicates not.                                                                                                                       

5 hours ago, gumbocha said:

I have 2 ipad pros. One is a 2016 with the Lightning charging port, the other is a 2018 with the USB-C charging port. Both running iOS 14 with proper adaptors for connections. I can get my FBV Express MKii to work on the the older ipad (the one with the Lightning port). I use it to control effects in Bias FX 2. As for the newer ipad, cannot get it to work. Don't know if the difference is Lightning vs USB-C or a program problem. As someone mentioned previously, it powers on but communicates not.                                                                                                                       

Ah, interesting, I assumed it just wasn't working on iOS 14 after trying on my USB-C iPad Pro. However, prompted by your post, I just tried on my lightning iPhone 7+ and it's working fine with the FBV and CCK on iOS 14. I'm not sure if that's good or bad news, but good to know anyway.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 4/4/2021 at 12:59 AM, gumbocha said:

I have the same issue, works on my iPhone XR, New iPAD Gen 6 (via Lightning) but NOT on my iPAD PRO 2020 Gen 3 (with USB-C). I've wiped my iPAD PRO and done a factory restore. Raised a case with Line6 support (they replied confirming they do not support iPAD) hence checking out if anyone using an iPAD PRO 2020 with USB and IOS 14.6 has their MKII working? Thanks for sharing your issue - confirms it may not just be me?

5 hours ago, alansommerville said:

I have the same issue, works on my iPhone XR, New iPAD Gen 6 (via Lightning) but NOT on my iPAD PRO 2020 Gen 3 (with USB-C). I've wiped my iPAD PRO and done a factory restore. Raised a case with Line6 support (they replied confirming they do not support iPAD) hence checking out if anyone using an iPAD PRO 2020 with USB and IOS 14.6 has their MKII working? Thanks for sharing your issue - confirms it may not just be me?

Definitely not just you. I bit the bullet and took the advice of someone from this thread who advised about a Yamaha Bluetooth MIDI Adapter. It’s pretty hard to find the USB version now but I did find an alternative which works absolutely fine (DOREMiDi UTB-21 USB MIDI to Wireless Bluetooth MIDI Adapter ) the only thing that confused me to start with is that you don’t pair it with your iPad like a normal Bluetooth device, you install an app called midimittr which connects the adapter and links it with whatever software you’re running. Footboard now completely untethered from my iPad and I love it.