#1 smrybacki

smrybacki

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, PA

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:53 AM

Looking for suggestions to create my own dream rig. Right now, I have a POD HD500 with the extra expression pedal into which I plug a JTV59 via a VDI cable. I run the two 1/4 inch outputs into a Boss RC-30 and then on to a pair of Tech21 Power Engines.

The bottom line for me is the failure of the two pe60s to capture the capabilities of the rest of the rig, most especially the acoustic modeling. What would anyone recommend in terms of StageSource speakers to make this rig really pop?

#2 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:33 PM

I'm sure that you already appreciate the vast differences in approach, power and execution that exist between any single-speakered analog cabinet (even one with as clear and well-defined a purpose as the PE 60) and the vast inventory of digitally-controlled options that exist within any StageSource cabinet.

I am hoping that you'll also appreciate just how hard those differences make it for any of us to make worthwhile recommendations, especially given the consequent vastness of the changes such a swap would undoubtedly make to the entire way you'd rig for and structure your performances.

So my feeling is that the best advice at this stage might devolve around another "hope", ...the hope that you have access to a decent supplier who would allow you time for "hands on" experimentation with various alternative connections of your Variax and pedals into a single L2t cabinet.

For now, I'm guessing that the biggest quandary may arise from your consideration of (and experimentation with) the best method for integrating the only one your devices that doesn't have access to digital control, being the brilliant Boss ...and that a pair of L2 cabinets (maybe one "t" and one "s" - or, if funds permit, two "t" versions) may just blow your mind, if not your credit card.

#3 smrybacki

smrybacki

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, PA

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:18 AM

I'm sure that you already appreciate the vast differences in approach, power and execution that exist between any single-speakered analog cabinet (even one with as clear and well-defined a purpose as the PE 60) and the vast inventory of digitally-controlled options that exist within any StageSource cabinet.

I am hoping that you'll also appreciate just how hard those differences make it for any of us to make worthwhile recommendations, especially given the consequent vastness of the changes such a swap would undoubtedly make to the entire way you'd rig for and structure your performances.

So my feeling is that the best advice at this stage might devolve around another "hope", ...the hope that you have access to a decent supplier who would allow you time for "hands on" experimentation with various alternative connections of your Variax and pedals into a single L2t cabinet.

For now, I'm guessing that the biggest quandary may arise from your consideration of (and experimentation with) the best method for integrating the only one your devices that doesn't have access to digital control, being the brilliant Boss ...and that a pair of L2 cabinets (maybe one "t" and one "s" - or, if funds permit, two "t" versions) may just blow your mind, if not your credit card.

Been away on holiday and just reading through this...I see what you are saying (I think).  Without the Boss RC, the rest of my rig integrates seamlessly via Line6 Link/VDI cables.  Correct?

I hadn't really thought about that, but yeah that makes sense now.  I Guess I could feed 1/4" outs to the Boss RC, and from there out to the PE60s, then on to the FOH, and use the Line^ integrated gear on it's own.  Sonically, I think that would work.  Just want the purest experience I can get really, with as few hassles as possible.  My only trepidation is will the sounds of the two separate (yet linked) systems stay in synch...

#4 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:27 PM

...I see what you are saying (I think).  Without the Boss RC, the rest of my rig integrates seamlessly via Line6 Link/VDI cables.  Correct?...

Aah, ...no, that's not quite what I meant, ...in that you should still be able to integrate the Boss box fairly "seamlessly". 

It'll just take a little playing around with cabling to work out the way that works best for YOUR performances, as another player may well arrange it totally differently when (hypothetically) using a rig that consists of identical components.

...My only trepidation is will the sounds of the two separate (yet linked) systems stay in synch...

I must admit that combining the two rigs by effectively running "analog first" is a fascinating alternative that would never have occurred to me...

...and yes, ...I think you're dead right in anticipating a slight delay from the digital enclosures.

That delay, however, would be very slight (a few milliseconds at most) and may pass un-noticed, ...or even add an attractive, slightly "spatial" dimension to the overall sound.

All of which, to my mind, just adds to the need for you to actually spend some time "playing, hands-on" with your ax and pedals feeding an L2t in various configurations.

I strongly suspect most of us would soon tire of touring with four enclosures, but that it's only once you've actually experienced the powerful majesty of even one L2t actually delivering your repertoire of amazing emulations that you'll actually know that a pair of them would be capable of doing so much more than merely "replacing" your pair of (admittedly wonderful) Power Engine boxes. 

#5 smrybacki

smrybacki

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, PA

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:18 PM

Another thing I just considered....Perhaps getting a DT-25 AND a L2T gets a lot of traction...

#6 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:34 PM

It seems to me that you're pretty much on your way to the store to try all of this !  :)

#7 smrybacki

smrybacki

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, PA

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:45 PM

It seems to me that you're pretty much on your way to the store to try all of this !  :)

Were it that I could lol...No store nearby at all has anything in this thread.  I  can "order it and return it if I hate it"....Yeah, I guess....

Thanks Ron...

#8 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:59 PM

Sheesh, Man !

We're talking some serious cash here !  :wacko:

I'm thinking that even a hundred bucks or so spent on a longer trip to actually try this stuff may be money well spent, given not only the bucks you've already spent on the quest for "that" sound, but also the amounts that others routinely spend on things like hobbies and vacations.

Now that I think about it, there could be far worse ways to spend a short "vacation" than trying different rigs in a music store, couldn't there ? :lol:  

#9 smrybacki

smrybacki

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, PA

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:31 PM

Might need to take a trip down to DC...

#10 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:00 PM

http://shop.chucklev...&x=-1054&y=-262

...Maybe once the weather's warmed up a little !  :)

#11 smrybacki

smrybacki

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, PA

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:04 PM

http://shop.chucklev...&x=-1054&y=-262

...Maybe once the weather's warmed up a little !  :)

I've been to Chuck's once or twice.  Nice selection of Rickenbackers last time I was by...love me a Ric-12!

See, I'd be more interested in the L2T I think.  I don't gig often nor in large venues...mostly open mic stuff. But, if I could hear those L3Ts then I'm set...thanks!

#12 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:11 PM

Uuh, ...maybe leave the credit cards in the car...

...So a walk outside's required before actually parting with cash. (The cold weather might just help.) :lol: 

Seriously, though, it would probably be worth giving them (or another store) a call first to make sure they've actually got an L2t and an L3t "on the floor" for you to check out, before you go to the trouble of making that trip.

#13 smrybacki

smrybacki

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, PA

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:34 PM

Just did my taxes....fear was in my heart as Uncle Sam had his way with me. I felt like a little prison lollipop on day 1.

However, fortune smiled on me and the precautions I took on my W4 paid off and now instead of a year of indentured servitude to "the man", I am actually getting a refund back.

Rock and roll baby -- two new L2Ts in my near future.

:D

#14 Mavril

Mavril

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:26 AM

I don't mean to get between a muso and their next great love but why do you need the L2t? If you use the RC30 through the HD500 loop section why not do all your eq and leveling through the HD500? That's how I imagine I would use it to record.

The L2m comes without the mixer input so there is just the replication of what is last in the chain ala FOH speakers or monitors. Seeing as the HD500 is a modelling station you can select the cab you want to emulate and then reproduce through stereo L2ms (or L2ts or L3m/t) That is a seriously punchy rig though and will definitely be louder than most quad rigs around when pushed.

As Ron mentioned I'd want to play before laying the cash down first.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hd500, variax

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users