• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 avatar71

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:41 PM

Hello, I've searched yet found nothing this specific...

Looking for guidance on set up for a gig.  

Planning to route my HD500 and a mic (ideally 2 mice) through the stereo pair.

L6 Link from pod to L2T… check!

Mic to line 1 in… check!

L6 Link to other L2T… Check!

Awesome guitar in stereo :)

Mic in mono  :(

Is it possible to get the mic in stereo?

I cannot seem to find a reference for this hook up in the L2T manual nor the HD500 manual.  It seems that I need 2 way L6 Link for the mic BUT then there is no place for the POD to connect except for the traditional analog means.

Thanks all!!!

#2 silverhead

silverhead

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 11094 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:20 PM

You're right - Pod must be connected via analog in this situation. I would use the analog Line In on the L2t rear panel and a TRS connector for stereo, merging the L/R 1/4" outputs. Then connect the 2 L2t via 2-way L6 LINK.

The MIC will still not be stereo since it's a mono instrument, but I expect you just mean hearing the mic through both speakers.

As I understand it, the L6 LINK implementation supports the two speakers as a stereo pair for their respective analog inputs only when they are in a 2-way L6 LINK connection. In this setup the analog mixer and rear input channels of both speakers are heard in both speakers. However, when one speaker's L6 LINK input is used by a Pod or M20d device, only the input signal from that device is sent to the other speaker(s) in the L6 LINK chain. Of course, in that setup nothing can be received back from any other speaker via L6 LINK because the L6 LINK input is not available for it.

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
.... John Lennon

#3 avatar71

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 03:57 PM

Ok, makes sense!  Thanks, I appreciate your response.  

A bit of a downer on the setup but no deal breaker.

#4 avatar71

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:39 PM

So I tried a trs cable (two 1/4" going into one stereo 1/4"?) and the sound became a very distant quiet signal. I went from the L & R 1/4 POD outs to the rear line in.

When I removed either single 1/4 from the POD, full (mono) signal returned.

What did i do wrong?

Thanks

#5 silverhead

silverhead

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 11094 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:14 PM

I think the two 1/4" leads from the POD should be mono, not TRS. Your cable, or adapter, needs to merge these two mono signals into a TRS stereo signal.

.... John Lennon

#6 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:08 PM

As silverhead has implied, that problem has arisen because the y-cord you're using is wired so that when it combines the POD's separate left and right outputs, they are arriving out of phase with (hence cancelling) each other at our mono input to one of our two L2t speakers.

I'm guessing that much of this dilemma arises from our misunderstanding of the "brief" ...and I hope that re-stating it this way might help:

1. We want to maintain the full "richness" of our HD500's "stereo ambience" by having each "half" of its output directed to "its own" speaker in our "left" and "right" rigged pair of L2t enclosures.
  2. Of those enclosures, one will become our "master" or "control panel" that will then only need a single Line 6 Link cable to feed its opposite number.
  3. It then follows that our POD should only require correct analog connection to our "master" enclosure for correct "imaging" (including our POD's "front and centre" XL mic input) to be created across both of our enclosures.

Here's the rub:

If my interpretation that led to the above "brief" is correct, I'm thinking that any MONO connection from our HD500x to our "master" enclosure would seem to defeat the main purpose of this exercise, ("stereo" HD500 effects) ...even after we notionally rectify the cancellation caused by an incorrectly configured y-cord.

Accordingly, it seems to me that we would really need to use TWO separate analog cables from our POD's outputs to the STEREO RCA "Line Input" sockets of our "master" L2t,  being either:

1. A pair of unbalanced guitar jack to RCA cables, or
  2. A pair of balanced XLF socket to RCA cables, wired XL pins 2 to the "centres" of each RCA plug, XL pins 3 to the "skirts" of each RCA plug, with their "shields"or "outer braids" connected ONLY at the number 1 pins of our XLF sockets.  

#7 silverhead

silverhead

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 11094 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:12 PM

Thanks for clarifying Ron. That makes more sense.

.... John Lennon

#8 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:31 PM

Oh, BTW...

Running an additional L6 Link cable "back" from our "slave" to our "master" would give us an available total of five (yes, FIVE...) fully controllable "front and centre" mic (or instrument) inputs:

1. One from our rear panel-connected POD,  ...plus...
  2. Four from the side panels of our L2t enclosures...

...As well as...

The possibility of yet another correctly "imaged" stereo input from the rear panel of our (nominally) "slave" enclosure, with unlimited first-class air travel to destinations of our choice.

(OK. You got me. That last one's a bit of a stretch.)

#9 ArneLine6

ArneLine6

Line 6 Staff

• Product Management
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:48 PM

The setup that you describe in the original post works as long as the microphone is plugged in to the first L2t.
POD L6 Link-> first L2t
Mic-> mic input on the first L2t's side panel
First L2t -> L6 Link -> second L2t

#10 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:28 PM

The setup that you describe in the original post works as long as the microphone is plugged in to the first L2t...

...remembering that any mic (or mics, or other sources) that are so connected (plugged directly into the inputs of our StageSource speakers) can NOT have POD processing applied to them.

#11 avatar71

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:24 AM

Damn. Some serious wisdom here!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users