Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd 500 Sounds Horrible--sos

phoenixv

This is my first post. The guitar tech at Guitar Center convinced me to buy an HD 500 and it sounds really horrible with both my Mesa Boogie Mark 1 RI and Mojave Coyote HG. I am running it into the front because neither really have EFX loops. I have it set for combo front on the Boogie and Power Amp stack on the Coyote. It sounds horrible. Can anyone tell me first of all how to reset all parameters to factory settings in case that's part of the problem.

Beyond that, does anyone have any basic ideas or suggestions on what I can do to make it sound good? I'm feeling desperate. I've had it since last May and I feel like I threw my money away.

Thanks for any help!

Define 'horrible'.

It may be that there's a problem we can help with. It may be that you just don't like it.

Good point. No, it's not that I just don't like it; there's definitely a sound problem. It's connected to the front of the Coyote, set clean and neutral. In the POD setup menu I've selected 'power amp stack'. When I play there is a very distorted sound coming through the amp. When I first bought it and plugged it into the Zinky blue Velvet it sounded fine. I think I tried it in front and in the EFX loop and both sounded fine. But when I got my Mark I Reissue, it sounded terrible (hollow, thin, empty) out of the front of that amp. I did a comparison and it sounded fine out of the front of a fender deluxe reverb RI, so it was the Boogie that was the problem. But since then I've tried to adjust some of the parameters via Glenn DeLaune's youtube videos. Now, plugging into the Coyote there is a very distorted, harsh, sound, and still thin sounding. 

My frustration is that I assume the HD 500 must work well or it would't be popular. But I can't seem to make it work well for me and also there seems to be so many parameters and features that it's overwhelming. 

Ideally, I'd like to use it stereo sending it to both my amps, and set up a nice fuzz, univibe, wah chain. Or even use an ABY and send it the coyote while another chain of effects feeds the Boogie. 

But first, foremost, I just want it to sound good.

Thanks so far to both you guys. PS: sorry for knowing so little about posting. But to reply to someones response to my post, do I go to the bottom of the page and hit 'reply to this topic' or can I click on the person's reply somewhere to reply directly back to them?

'Reply to this topic' is correct.

Re your input settings - there's nothing to stop you trying the other settings. They're obviously set up for combo/stack/direct, etc, but you might find you get a better result from one of the others. It's just personal preference at the end of the day.

Also, try downloading some tones from http://line6.com/customtone/browse/podhd500/. Stick with the ones with good ratings initially, then you know they should be fairly decent.

And, of course, feel free to report back with your findings.

Combo Front Stack or Studio Direct Out and all those other settings are just differant EQs.  If what you're doing sounds bad then try another setting.  There is not absolute correct setting.  What works on one amp for one person may not work for another.

I'm sure when you tried it in the store, the sales person had it tweaked to sound good for the amp he demonstrated it on.  It wasn't just a random selection, I'm sure.

Combo Front Stack or Studio Direct Out and all those other settings are just differant EQs.  If what you're doing sounds bad then try another setting.  There is not absolute correct setting.  What works on one amp for one person may not work for another.

I'm sure when you tried it in the store, the sales person had it tweaked to sound good for the amp he demonstrated it on.  It wasn't just a random selection, I'm sure.

Ditto to this I've run my hd500 on many different amps, keyboard amps, PA systems, etc.... And never once was it plug and play. Always requires some tweaking. A very wise piece of advice for those caught in the throws of GAS syndrome. GC IS THE DEVIL.!!!!

• Upvote 1

Good point. No, it's not that I just don't like it; there's definitely a sound problem. It's connected to the front of the Coyote, set clean and neutral. In the POD setup menu I've selected 'power amp stack'. When I play there is a very distorted sound coming through the amp. When I first bought it and plugged it into the Zinky blue Velvet it sounded fine. I think I tried it in front and in the EFX loop and both sounded fine. But when I got my Mark I Reissue, it sounded terrible (hollow, thin, empty) out of the front of that amp. I did a comparison and it sounded fine out of the front of a fender deluxe reverb RI, so it was the Boogie that was the problem. But since then I've tried to adjust some of the parameters via Glenn DeLaune's youtube videos. Now, plugging into the Coyote there is a very distorted, harsh, sound, and still thin sounding. 

My frustration is that I assume the HD 500 must work well or it would't be popular. But I can't seem to make it work well for me and also there seems to be so many parameters and features that it's overwhelming. 

Ideally, I'd like to use it stereo sending it to both my amps, and set up a nice fuzz, univibe, wah chain. Or even use an ABY and send it the coyote while another chain of effects feeds the Boogie. 

But first, foremost, I just want it to sound good.

I've got the HD500X, and personally, I hate the way it sounds running into the front of a head, or to a dedicated tube power amp (I've tried both) when using the "correct" output settings on the 500X. However, if I leave the POD output set to studio/direct, I have no problem dialing in tones I like. I realize that this is not the way it is "supposed" to be done, as I'm running cab and mic emulations through an amp and cabinet, but for me and my ears, it works (perhaps I'm going deaf...I've been at this a while, lol).  The band has yet to complain about anything sounding funny though, so it might be worth a try before you decide to toss the POD...but as always, your mileage may vary.

I use the PODHD Studio Direct into the FX return of Marshall JCM900's,  I use the Pre-Amp models with Cab/Speaker/Mic.  Did the 4cm method and liked this other method better.  Whatever works...the only right answer is what sounds right.  It's a pain in the arse that there's so many differant ways to connect it up.  But the great thing also is "There's so many ways to connect it up".

Wow, this is amazing. Thank you so much everyone for all these replies. I really appreciate this feedback. I used Line 6 Monkey to reset mine to factory settings and update everything. Now I'm going to reconnect and see if it sounds better. Once I do, I'll get back with the results.

Thanks, and more to come.

Oh yeah! I just reset the POD and plugged in to my coyote head (the coyote has no FX loop). I used L/Mono output, set the input for stack head, and it sounds 1000% better. Thanks everyone. 

Now, the next question: I normally play stereo, using my eventide Time factor and Space and a looper (and my other pedals) into my Mark I RI and my coyote. 

I'd like to run the HD 500 stereo also. (I'm running it without any of the other pedals by the way). To run stereo do I simply plug the R/mono into the combo front? (since one amp is a half stack and the other a combo I'll have to deal with that)

In the past, I tried running the POD into the FX loop of the Boogie but it was completely thin and had no volume at all. But when I tried the FX loop with other pedals (carbon copy, etc) it also didn't work, so it's the FX loop that's not working.

Anyway, any tips on running stereo?

Thanks. 

Sorry guys, one last question about my sound problem. The HD 500 sounds fine now after the reset, but the on-board expression pedal isn't actuating. I went through every preset tonight and the pedal doesn't work for any of them. Can anyone tell me how to get the pedal to turn on or activate?

Thanks! 

Sorry guys, one last question about my sound problem. The HD 500 sounds fine now after the reset, but the on-board expression pedal isn't actuating. I went through every preset tonight and the pedal doesn't work for any of them. Can anyone tell me how to get the pedal to turn on or activate?

Thanks! 

I had the same problem yesterday - got my HD500 out after not using it for a bit and the pedal didn't work. So I recalibrated it (search on this forum for how to, there also some YouTube guides - it's pretty simple) - the process took about 2 mins and it now works fine!

That is great the reset worked. And now the pedal calibration.

I too have found that Studio direct can sound the best thru my amps

i like the 4CM as you got the option to use the amps pre stage. but if there is no send return then too bad.

On my valve amp with no FX loop I shaped the combo and it sounds as good as the SudioDirect without the cabs of course.

Attenuation of the high shelf frequency brought right down sounds close otherwise it is too harsh: no wonder some don't like it.

Attenuate the low shelf to suit the combo your using. Mine is fine at 120hz.as the 12" speaker doesn't reproduce too much low end.

Using it this way on your mesa might work and could be worth a try.

Once again, thanks to everyone for all these greatly helpful and greatly appreciated replies. I am amazed at how good the HD 500 sounds now after the reset. I hope to get EFX loop fixed in my Mark I so I can run the HD 500 through the FX loop and see how the sound changes *not* going in through the front.

Tonight I'm going to try and do the pedal recalibration and try and get the on-board pedal to actuate. Then I'll work on the stereo set up and also plan to try and download the tones that GT Lazer linked me to, and try and figure out how to upload them into the HD 500; not sure how to do that.

I'm glad to be part of this forum; it's my first one, and I hope to be contributing soon, once I get to know the HD 500 better. 

Just for the record: I ran the HD 500 into the front of the Coyote HG using an ABY, and then ran my dynacomp, Fuzz Factory, Box of Rock, Freeze, Carbon Copy, Space, and Timefactor, and RC 20 into the Boogie, and started looping and layering, simul-playing, and it was awesome. The HD 500 really does sound good, especially for the kind of tones I like which is usually really heavy rock and roll.

Cheers and more soon.

• Upvote 1

One thing - to make the onboard pedal to work you have to be on the correct EXP-1 or EXP-2 mode.  Look at the two lights and see that the proper one is selected.  You push the pedal all the way forward HARD to switch to the other mode.  I got fooled by that several times.  I set up  to use the volume pedal but the control was  set to the wrong EXP mode.  You can recalibrate the pedal but this may really be your problem.

I calibrated the onboard exp pedal as per the link above and it works fine now. Downloaded a ton of custom tones--awesome. And played with the input settings--studio direct seems to sound best at the volume I'm playing at tonight. 

Hard to believe that in 48 hours I went from having an HD 500 sitting around collecting dust since last May to a unit that sounds amazing, will save me a lot of money on not buying some of the new pedals I was going to get (like a Digitech Whammy) *and* will probably cause me to retire my long chain of pedals. All in exchange for this one black box. So glad I didn't sell it. 

• Upvote 1

While the custom tones are good and some great how they are set up can differ and play havoc with your levels from patch to patch.

If you really want to hear how good the amp modelling is just load a amp model and tweak ever so it to your liking to suit your guitar. Go deeper and get a feel for the response using bias etc. You got to hand it to Line 6 for a pretty darn good effort.

Different guitars, even pickup brands and types  can sound totally different and be a source of WTF when tayloring your own tones.

Glad you got it dusted off and are enjoying a great sounding value for money toolbox that is the HD500.

Thanks John, thanks everyone. It's good to be onboard. My next step will be to start tuning the tone of the HD 500 for my Coyote and Boogie. Today I plan to get the EFX loop issue worked out on the Boogie so I can run into the EFX loop. Sounds like that will lead to better tone. 

One question, Glenn Delaune, on Youtube, sells presets he makes. Does anyone have any comment on these? I was thinking about purchasing a package because of the David Gilmour preset. Just wondering what the consensus is about the quality of the presets? 

And to find a particular artist tone on custom tone, Santana, Clapton, Hendrix, Gilmour, or the tone on a particular song, is there a good way to find those specific tones and high quality versions of them? 

Phoenix

custom tone is a mixed bag... best to consider it a nice starting point... every once in a while you get lucky though...

Glenn's patches are quality.

Thanks John, thanks everyone. It's good to be onboard. My next step will be to start tuning the tone of the HD 500 for my Coyote and Boogie. Today I plan to get the EFX loop issue worked out on the Boogie so I can run into the EFX loop. Sounds like that will lead to better tone. 

One question, Glenn Delaune, on Youtube, sells presets he makes. Does anyone have any comment on these? I was thinking about purchasing a package because of the David Gilmour preset. Just wondering what the consensus is about the quality of the presets? 

And to find a particular artist tone on custom tone, Santana, Clapton, Hendrix, Gilmour, or the tone on a particular song, is there a good way to find those specific tones and high quality versions of them? 

Phoenix

custom tone is a mixed bag... best to consider it a nice starting point... every once in a while you get lucky though...

Glenn's patches are quality.

Good to know. Knowing that, I'm going to order the set with the Gilmour tones. It's ironic that I have, and use, a mountain of pedals, constantly trying to create tones, sounds, effects, sonic landscapes, that I love. And suddenly this one black box that I can just step on, does so much. I don't know if the tone is as good as my Coyote HG with pedals, I don't know if I'd use it with my band live, but man does it sound good to me in my house!

Quick question:

I was able to fix the FX return on my Mark 1 Reissue yesterday on the phone with the Mesa tech department. It turns out that my Boogie was labeled backwards at the factory back in 89, so the FX receive was actually the return and vice versa. Funny. Once we figured that out I was able to get all my time based pedals to work in the FX loop of the Mark I and so, very excited, I connected the HD 500 using the L/mono out into the Boogie return (in the end I tried it in both send and return). The result is the sound level is so low I can barely hear the sound unless I turn the Boogie (100 watts) up to 8 on the master. (normally 8 on the master would bring plaster down off the walls).

Does anyone have an idea why I'm getting such a low level of sound? I tried all the different output settings on the HD 500, I tired line and amp level, and in all cases, the volume is very low.

Any thoughts would be very welcome. I feel like I am so close to getting the HD working at last, but just when I get close, another glitch.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem EVERY time I play outside. The expression pedal function goes crazy. Can't re callibrate or fix while outside. Then I get home and everything works fine. I have both HD500 and HD300 and have to bring both to outdoor gigs as only one of them will usually work outside. REALLY frustrating!! I even bring a hi-end power conditioner designed for computer use and it doesn't help. Really Sucks!!!

Just want to say thank you, this post helped me out with my POD HD500X, first I had it plugged directly into the guitar input on my Marshall MG 100DFX, the sound was great a low volume, if I turned up the volume it was so over driven I would get a deep low drone with and distortion effect I tried, after viewing the post's I plugged directly into the FX return on the back of the amp, and what a huge difference it made, I can crank the heck out of it and it just sound awesome now, I was starting to wonder if the POD HD500X was a good purchase, now I can say, I am very pleased with the sound and purchase, now it’s time to play and tweak my sounds, Great effects system. 

I did notice the discussion of a reset, where and how do you reset the unit.