34 replies to this topic

#1 phoenixv

phoenixv

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:41 PM

This is my first post. The guitar tech at Guitar Center convinced me to buy an HD 500 and it sounds really horrible with both my Mesa Boogie Mark 1 RI and Mojave Coyote HG. I am running it into the front because neither really have EFX loops. I have it set for combo front on the Boogie and Power Amp stack on the Coyote. It sounds horrible. Can anyone tell me first of all how to reset all parameters to factory settings in case that's part of the problem.

Beyond that, does anyone have any basic ideas or suggestions on what I can do to make it sound good? I'm feeling desperate. I've had it since last May and I feel like I threw my money away.

Thanks for any help!

#2 GTLazer

GTLazer

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:40 AM

Define 'horrible'.

It may be that there's a problem we can help with. It may be that you just don't like it.

You like my answer? Hit the up arrow. You no like my answer? Hit the down arrow. Sorted.

#3 jandrio

jandrio

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:07 AM

http://foobazaar.com...toneGuide/setup

#4 phoenixv

phoenixv

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:39 AM

Define 'horrible'.

It may be that there's a problem we can help with. It may be that you just don't like it.

Good point. No, it's not that I just don't like it; there's definitely a sound problem. It's connected to the front of the Coyote, set clean and neutral. In the POD setup menu I've selected 'power amp stack'. When I play there is a very distorted sound coming through the amp. When I first bought it and plugged it into the Zinky blue Velvet it sounded fine. I think I tried it in front and in the EFX loop and both sounded fine. But when I got my Mark I Reissue, it sounded terrible (hollow, thin, empty) out of the front of that amp. I did a comparison and it sounded fine out of the front of a fender deluxe reverb RI, so it was the Boogie that was the problem. But since then I've tried to adjust some of the parameters via Glenn DeLaune's youtube videos. Now, plugging into the Coyote there is a very distorted, harsh, sound, and still thin sounding. 

My frustration is that I assume the HD 500 must work well or it would't be popular. But I can't seem to make it work well for me and also there seems to be so many parameters and features that it's overwhelming. 

Ideally, I'd like to use it stereo sending it to both my amps, and set up a nice fuzz, univibe, wah chain. Or even use an ABY and send it the coyote while another chain of effects feeds the Boogie. 

But first, foremost, I just want it to sound good.

#5 phoenixv

phoenixv

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:42 AM

Thanks so far to both you guys. PS: sorry for knowing so little about posting. But to reply to someones response to my post, do I go to the bottom of the page and hit 'reply to this topic' or can I click on the person's reply somewhere to reply directly back to them?

#6 arislaf

arislaf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:01 AM

use quote to reply at someones post

#7 GTLazer

GTLazer

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:31 AM

'Reply to this topic' is correct.

Re your input settings - there's nothing to stop you trying the other settings. They're obviously set up for combo/stack/direct, etc, but you might find you get a better result from one of the others. It's just personal preference at the end of the day.

Also, try downloading some tones from http://line6.com/cus...rowse/podhd500/. Stick with the ones with good ratings initially, then you know they should be fairly decent.

And, of course, feel free to report back with your findings.

You like my answer? Hit the up arrow. You no like my answer? Hit the down arrow. Sorted.

#8 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:25 AM

Make sure you don't have your output set to line level.  It needs to be set to instrument level if you are going into the front of an amp.  It should sound great with your amp!

#9 joel_brown

joel_brown

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:26 AM

Combo Front Stack or Studio Direct Out and all those other settings are just differant EQs.  If what you're doing sounds bad then try another setting.  There is not absolute correct setting.  What works on one amp for one person may not work for another.

I'm sure when you tried it in the store, the sales person had it tweaked to sound good for the amp he demonstrated it on.  It wasn't just a random selection, I'm sure.

#10 Metalchef

Metalchef

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:33 AM

Combo Front Stack or Studio Direct Out and all those other settings are just differant EQs.  If what you're doing sounds bad then try another setting.  There is not absolute correct setting.  What works on one amp for one person may not work for another.

I'm sure when you tried it in the store, the sales person had it tweaked to sound good for the amp he demonstrated it on.  It wasn't just a random selection, I'm sure.

Ditto to this I've run my hd500 on many different amps, keyboard amps, PA systems, etc.... And never once was it plug and play. Always requires some tweaking. A very wise piece of advice for those caught in the throws of GAS syndrome. GC IS THE DEVIL.!!!!
Yes I hear the cries of the carrots.... For it is harvest day and to them it is the Holocaust..... So I say let the rabbits wear glasses....

#11 cruisinon2

cruisinon2

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:53 AM

Good point. No, it's not that I just don't like it; there's definitely a sound problem. It's connected to the front of the Coyote, set clean and neutral. In the POD setup menu I've selected 'power amp stack'. When I play there is a very distorted sound coming through the amp. When I first bought it and plugged it into the Zinky blue Velvet it sounded fine. I think I tried it in front and in the EFX loop and both sounded fine. But when I got my Mark I Reissue, it sounded terrible (hollow, thin, empty) out of the front of that amp. I did a comparison and it sounded fine out of the front of a fender deluxe reverb RI, so it was the Boogie that was the problem. But since then I've tried to adjust some of the parameters via Glenn DeLaune's youtube videos. Now, plugging into the Coyote there is a very distorted, harsh, sound, and still thin sounding. 

My frustration is that I assume the HD 500 must work well or it would't be popular. But I can't seem to make it work well for me and also there seems to be so many parameters and features that it's overwhelming. 

Ideally, I'd like to use it stereo sending it to both my amps, and set up a nice fuzz, univibe, wah chain. Or even use an ABY and send it the coyote while another chain of effects feeds the Boogie. 

But first, foremost, I just want it to sound good.

I've got the HD500X, and personally, I hate the way it sounds running into the front of a head, or to a dedicated tube power amp (I've tried both) when using the "correct" output settings on the 500X. However, if I leave the POD output set to studio/direct, I have no problem dialing in tones I like. I realize that this is not the way it is "supposed" to be done, as I'm running cab and mic emulations through an amp and cabinet, but for me and my ears, it works (perhaps I'm going deaf...I've been at this a while, lol).  The band has yet to complain about anything sounding funny though, so it might be worth a try before you decide to toss the POD...but as always, your mileage may vary.

#12 joel_brown

joel_brown

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:10 PM

I use the PODHD Studio Direct into the FX return of Marshall JCM900's,  I use the Pre-Amp models with Cab/Speaker/Mic.  Did the 4cm method and liked this other method better.  Whatever works...the only right answer is what sounds right.  It's a pain in the arse that there's so many differant ways to connect it up.  But the great thing also is "There's so many ways to connect it up".

#13 phoenixv

phoenixv

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:02 PM

Wow, this is amazing. Thank you so much everyone for all these replies. I really appreciate this feedback. I used Line 6 Monkey to reset mine to factory settings and update everything. Now I'm going to reconnect and see if it sounds better. Once I do, I'll get back with the results.

Thanks, and more to come.

#14 phoenixv

phoenixv

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:45 PM

Oh yeah! I just reset the POD and plugged in to my coyote head (the coyote has no FX loop). I used L/Mono output, set the input for stack head, and it sounds 1000% better. Thanks everyone. 

Now, the next question: I normally play stereo, using my eventide Time factor and Space and a looper (and my other pedals) into my Mark I RI and my coyote. 

I'd like to run the HD 500 stereo also. (I'm running it without any of the other pedals by the way). To run stereo do I simply plug the R/mono into the combo front? (since one amp is a half stack and the other a combo I'll have to deal with that)

In the past, I tried running the POD into the FX loop of the Boogie but it was completely thin and had no volume at all. But when I tried the FX loop with other pedals (carbon copy, etc) it also didn't work, so it's the FX loop that's not working.

Anyway, any tips on running stereo?

Thanks. 

#15 phoenixv

phoenixv

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:44 PM

Sorry guys, one last question about my sound problem. The HD 500 sounds fine now after the reset, but the on-board expression pedal isn't actuating. I went through every preset tonight and the pedal doesn't work for any of them. Can anyone tell me how to get the pedal to turn on or activate?

Thanks! 

#16 innovine

innovine

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:14 AM

Read the meambobbo guide (google it), there is a good section on stereo signal chain. It's really difficult to figure out the stereo signal path so consult the guide.

#17 jandrio

jandrio

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:01 AM

Check also this one:

http://line6.com/sup...ing-schematics/

#18 Spiderplayer7

Spiderplayer7

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:46 AM

Sorry guys, one last question about my sound problem. The HD 500 sounds fine now after the reset, but the on-board expression pedal isn't actuating. I went through every preset tonight and the pedal doesn't work for any of them. Can anyone tell me how to get the pedal to turn on or activate?

Thanks! 

I had the same problem yesterday - got my HD500 out after not using it for a bit and the pedal didn't work. So I recalibrated it (search on this forum for how to, there also some YouTube guides - it's pretty simple) - the process took about 2 mins and it now works fine!

#19 jandrio

jandrio

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:32 AM   Best Answer

POD HD500X/HD500 Pedal Calibration

#20 bjnette

bjnette

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:47 AM

That is great the reset worked. And now the pedal calibration.

I too have found that Studio direct can sound the best thru my amps

i like the 4CM as you got the option to use the amps pre stage. but if there is no send return then too bad.

On my valve amp with no FX loop I shaped the combo and it sounds as good as the SudioDirect without the cabs of course.

Attenuation of the high shelf frequency brought right down sounds close otherwise it is too harsh: no wonder some don't like it.

Attenuate the low shelf to suit the combo your using. Mine is fine at 120hz.as the 12" speaker doesn't reproduce too much low end.

Using it this way on your mesa might work and could be worth a try.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hd 500

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users