Good forum with lots of interesting info, thanks for that.
For reference we are a 5 piece band: drummer, keys, guitar, 2 lead vocals, the remaining do occasional backgound vocals...sequenced bass. I am considering a complete line6 setup (mixer / speakers / subs). BTW I am the guitarist I use a POD HD500 and have been going direct for years.
1. Is there a breakdown of necessary subs / speakers to venus size anywhere? We typically play 100 - 400 people venues. The music is all over the map from current dance music to 70's, 80's and 90's (rock, dance, party music, standards, etc). I know this is subjective, just looking for opinions. Can I get away with one sub for example...
2. Do any of you use backing tracks? My band has a sequenced Bass and I'll need a click to send to the drummer too. How would one set this up with this mixer? (as an aside, I could use any recommendations on new software etc solutions used). We have used midi sequencers, as well as, a simple iPod with the mix R and click L...looking to see what others do and how they connect it up.
3. I come from a band using all QSC stuff with a LS9 board and later a Behringer x32. When I look at the Stagescape, I think it is neat, but does it really compete? Part of me thinks gimmicky, but when I read the reviews and watch the videos it makes a very convincing argument.
4. I am thinking of using side fill monitors, versus montors for all...anybody doing that with this product? If so, how does it work?
5. Only 4 monitors seems limiting (which is why I am considering #4). Comments? I plan on adding a permanent live bass down the road and for functions an occasional sax player. Hence, my conerns with the limited monitors.
6. We had an excellent sound guy. I am now looking to mix from stage. I am fairly technically competent with this stuff, but honestly I am looking to play, sound good, and have a good time. I don't want to be glued to the mixer (I am a guitarist). Does this board really limit the amount of babysitting I'll need to do?
7. In addition to #5 above, I am a musician not a sound guy. Although I understand signal chains...blah blah blah, I am not a sound guy. Can a competent / somewhat technical musician make a good mix with this stuff from the stage?
8. My drummer uses a roland kit. Anyone else using an electronic kit? If so, how does it translate with this setup?
9. Is this stuff crazy to lug around? SOme of the QSC stuff we used was *HEAVY*.
Any additional insight is appreciated.
Sorry for being long-winded, but this stuff is expensive, and I want to make an informed decision.