Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amplifi - As Monitor For Pod Hd500?

ethyl80

Anyone try one yet? I have no interest in it being Pod X3 technology, but anyone try one going in to the Aux input from the HD500 headphone out?

At $400, the 75watt might be a good solution for jam-along and home use, but with the only stereo input being 1/8" I'm not sure about any loss in quality.

I mean, it's a more verstaile rig than a $200 set of studio monitors....

i'd rather get studio monitors, and avoid all the bluetooth nonsense. I'd be surprised if the bluetooth didn't add latency, compression artifacts, noise and security issues. I don't want my speakers all pushed together into a little box, I want a proper stereo field. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Hello.  It's three months from the last post to this thread....

Any updates on this?  I *just* had this same idea about 3 minutes ago, Googled and landed here.

I had an Amplifi 150 for a while, then learned about the HD500.  I traded the Amplifi for an HD500x.  Then bought a week later got a JTV and DT25 (yeah, Dream Rig).  The DT25 seems to be a bit more of a power house than I (or my neighbors) need.  I'm wondering too if the HD500x and Amplifi would be a good match cabled like RNRage mentioned.

I want the DT25 to do the dry and something for wet effects.  Looks like the way to do this right is a mixer and another set of speakers, which I have and am trying to get away from.  The Amplifi does this already.

<a few minutes pass and some nicotine is inhaled>

Okay.  This just got complex.  My last sentence above doesn't pertain.  That wouldn't be the right way to connect the two.  The amp should still be connected as an amp probably via FX Send from HD to guitar input of Amplifi and for stereo come out of HD from ____ to Amplifi's AUX in for stereo/wet.  And the iPad gets involved again.

Someone please jump in here and straighten me out. :-)

My "Dream Amp" would be adding the stereo functionality (mids and tweets) to the DT25.  No bluetooth, matching, etc.

I just about deleted this post, and I should because I don't want to create any confusion, but I'm curious where this conversation may go....

- Tony

• 2 months later...

Connected as RNrage said, using a two 1/4" TS (mono) to single 1/8" TRS (stereo) cable, 1/4" outs from the POD to 1/8" AUX IN on the Amplifi.  Here's the one I use:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CMP159

Doing this is just using the Amplifi as a FRFR speaker, bypassing the affects and other features of the Amplifi.  Oh, the 1/4" switch by the pedal should be set to Line and I'm using Studio/Direct output mode.

It sounds great to me.  I can distinctly hear two amps on a dual amp patch.

I'm toying with getting a 2nd Amplifi.

• 4 weeks later...

Connected as RNrage said, using a two 1/4" TS (mono) to single 1/8" TRS (stereo) cable, 1/4" outs from the POD to 1/8" AUX IN on the Amplifi.  Here's the one I use:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CMP159

Doing this is just using the Amplifi as a FRFR speaker, bypassing the affects and other features of the Amplifi.  Oh, the 1/4" switch by the pedal should be set to Line and I'm using Studio/Direct output mode.

It sounds great to me.  I can distinctly hear two amps on a dual amp patch.

I'm toying with getting a 2nd Amplifi.

you still digging this setup?  any issues crop up? would you recommend this?

you still digging this setup?  any issues crop up? would you recommend this?

Yep!  I did get a 2nd, so I have two which is great for dual amp / dual tones.  I have them sitting on the floor too, which works well since the mids and tweets are aimed upwards and I can feel the bass in the carpet from the two 12" speakers.  And it looks good in the living room.  The Amplifis are quite the conversation piece!

I've tried numerous times to like the Amplifi and use as intended (marketed) but I just can't handle the interface, iPad and Bluetooth stuff.  Maybe I have too much other Bluetooth, Wifi, 5 handsets on my land line, etc. going on in the house.  Plus I seem to be touch screen challenged -- sensitivity and accuracy.  And the app drives me nuts, I feel like I'm always poking at the screen way to much to get to or do what I want.  It probably doesn't help I'm an I.T. guy and am used to rock solid Unix/Linux servers and managing them from a command line.  I also get frustrated with the limitation of Bluetooth in general.

If I had it to do all over again, two L2t Stage Srouces (HD500x to those via L6Link) and the Amplifi FX100 pedal board version plugged in L/R into the mixer of the L2t's.  Or perhaps the Fx100 (headphone out?) into the MP3 in on the HD500x?  Yes, that would awesome.  If money was no object, they'd be two DT25's in the chain also.

To answer your question more directly - yes I'm digging it, no issues and would recommend.  Using the Amplifis as full range speakers to the HD500x sound great.  The other alternative see a lot of is using studio monitors, which most are near field and have a sweet spot to get the best sound.  I want my whole living room to sound sweet and be able to wander around the room with my guitar and have great sound anywhere.

I'll post a couple of pics one these days in the Lounge forum.

Let me know if you get a good sound with the Amplifi and the pod my sound sucks ! Makes me wanna sell my Amplifi

I'm using Studio/Direct output mode and full amp models on the POD, going 1/4" line out into the AUX IN of the Amplifi....how do you have it setup?

• 2 months later...

Here is something I tried on my 75 & it seems to do the trick & use the Amplifi's guitar speaker. on the Amplifi app I took everything out of the signal chain except the volume. I plugged in to my guitar input of my HD500 & ran the left mono output to the guitar input of the Amplifi. Bottom line is there are some sweet tones coming out of the Amplifi & I don't have to worry about hitting the 4 mid / hi horns with my guitar signal. The backing tracks I am using sound good & are not affected by this configuration. Try it, I think you'll like it.

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone I like all the inputs on this topic, I currently am running my Pod HD 400 into my Amplify 150 via 1/4 with the amp setting on the amplify set to no amp, using the pod as the amp and all effects and so far have been happy with the sound I am getting. I recently have run  a split into 2 amps from the pods L and R outputs using the amplify 150 and a Tube amp set clean and both amps balanced in volume, then using the pod as the main volume, setting each bank on the pod to taste, anyway I"m having fun with the amplify and the pod.I am going to try the aux of the amplify to see what the sound difference is.Will post later if I can.

Anyone try one yet? I have no interest in it being Pod X3 technology, but anyone try one going in to the Aux input from the HD500 headphone out?

At $400, the 75watt might be a good solution for jam-along and home use, but with the only stereo input being 1/8" I'm not sure about any loss in quality.

I mean, it's a more verstaile rig than a $200 set of studio monitors....

This is an interesting question.  I too was thinking the Amplifi would be great with the HD500x on the AUX IN, but I'm not so sure.  Normally, the AUX IN is a perfect way to hook up your pod HD; on most amps this is just like hooking up to the RETURN of the effects loop (bypassing the preamp)...  but, unlike normal amps, the Amplifi amps don't use all their speakers equally for the guitar signal.  Beyond stereo, there is the wet/dry balance between the main guitar speaker and the mid speakers.  The Aux IN probably sounds great for music, but is the HD-500 going to sound good with the same signal going through all 5 speakers of the amplifi?  The AUX IN is not smart enough to utilize the guitar speaker for the core HD500 tone and send the effects to the mids, etc - instead it will be using the main guitar speaker as more of a sub woofer (great for music but not so much for guitar).  You'd probably get better guitar results using the AUX IN of a Spider IV with an HD500.  The cab and speakers of a Spider IV are optimized for modeling already.

Well I tried the aux on the back of the amplify to the pod HD400 1/8 stereo to a stereo Y split adapter into the L and R outputs of the HD400. I found the sound alright at low volume but distorted the more you turned it up, I found plugging into the guitar input of the amp and setting the amp through the amplify on the computer device you have to no amp with no effects on, then save to your favorite tone on bank 1 so that amp every time you turn the amp on it will recall to that setting and all you have to do is run it to your POD HD L output set on amp on switch and set volume to taste and enjoy.