Photo

Is It Ok To Just Set The L3t On The L3s?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dscheidt

dscheidt

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:06 PM

I should be getting the remainder of my 'Dream Stage' fairly soon, and I was wondering if it was advisable to just have the L3t sitting on top of the L3s.  Is that practical, or should I get the poles to go along with it?

#2 silverhead

silverhead

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 11082 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:14 PM

Should be fine - until somebody  leans against it. :(

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
.... John Lennon

#3 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:01 PM

Surprise, surprise !

I find myself agreeing with silverhead once again.

My feeling has long been that risking these big investments by "saving" on things like secure mountings and protective covers or cases for transportation is just plain stupid... 

...mind you, the good news is that stupidity definitely is an infinitely renewable resource.  :lol:

#4 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2516 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:33 PM

There are two things to think about. As already pointed out there is a safety factor. But there is also a question of coverage.

Ideally you want the tweeter (which is centered in the L3 cabinet) to be just above the head height of your audience. If you do not get it above head height then you may be blocking the highs from penetrating into your sound space. Because the wave lengths of the highs are smaller than the width of a human body your audience might just block them. So if your subs end up on the floor (which is preferred) and not up on a stage then poles are usually necessary.

#5 brianj402002

brianj402002

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationSt. John's

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:34 AM

Well I did it once...I had to keep turning them back straight as the vibrations from the subs were moving the L3m's...yes...I was a little heavy on the bass! Hahah

#6 litesnsirens

litesnsirens

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:22 AM

I have both the long poles and short poles, I use what the situation dictates.  It's a worthwhile investment... even if the L3t's are sitting on top of the L3s's it's worth it to have them "locked" on with the short poles.

#7 jaminjimlp

jaminjimlp

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:24 AM

I'm used to do it as well until I bought the short poles and then I bought a long poles also so that I would be able to do what DB was talking about but one thing that no one has mentioned which is the reason I am posting this is that there are pole sensors inside the pole mounts of your L3T, L3M, L2T,L2M speakers which I can guarantee makes a difference for that situation or Line 6 would not of done it I believe we had this conversation before and it had to do with EQ Ing I'm sure DB can set us straight. IMO FWIW get them I know it is another expense but if you've already spent as much as you have on the dream stage system you may as well get the accessories that go with them.

May you be blessed and our Lord Jesus keep you!!!

#8 litesnsirens

litesnsirens

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:23 AM

If I'm not mistaken the pole sensors really only come into play when the L3t/m is in one of the guitar modes.  If you are in one of the guitar modes and no pole is sensed, the speaker configures itself as a pseudo slant cabinet..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users