Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can't Hear Amp Tone B

JBurd77

Hey everyone,

New to the forum and just bought an HD500x.  I've seen similar topics on this but my dilemma hasn't been solved.

I am running out of the HD's XLR into a presonus firestudio.  When making a dual amp tone patch, I can only hear Amp A.  For amp B I hear a mix of the direct clean sound of my guitar and a faint background distortion if I crank Amp B's gain.  My inputs are set to "same" and there are no post-effects, only pre's.  

Factory presets with dual amps sound fine.  

Please help!

Justin

Hey everyone,

New to the forum and just bought an HD500x.  I've seen similar topics on this but my dilemma hasn't been solved.

I am running out of the HD's XLR into a presonus firestudio.  When making a dual amp tone patch, I can only hear Amp A.  For amp B I hear a mix of the direct clean sound of my guitar and a faint background distortion if I crank Amp B's gain.  My inputs are set to "same" and there are no post-effects, only pre's.  

Factory presets with dual amps sound fine.  

Please help!

Justin

Are you taking both L and R XLRs to the presonus OR are you just using one of the outputs?

What have you got your INPUT 1 and INPUT 2 settings set to?

What are your MIXER block settings on the HD500x?

Mainly running from the Left out. Tried running both outs to no avail.

Input 1 is currently guitar, input 2 is same. I've tried various combinations of guitar, aux, and variax.

Mixer for A is Center. 0db. The input is set to left/right amp channel A.

No combination of db leveling or panning on Amp B eliminates the direct clean background. It is currently set to center and the inputs are left/right amp channel B.

Mainly running from the Left out. Tried running both outs to no avail.

Input 1 is currently guitar, input 2 is same. I've tried various combinations of guitar, aux, and variax.

Mixer for A is Center. 0db. The input is set to left/right amp channel A.

No combination of db leveling or panning on Amp B eliminates the direct clean background. It is currently set to center and the inputs are left/right amp channel B.

So you have tried muting path A at the mixer and you still get the clear guitar signal.

Have you tried switching everything off in path A and muting it in the mixer, and just having the chosen amp model in path B, with db at 0 and pan at center - do you still get the same result regardless of what model amp you choose?

If you revert to a single amp and place it before the split - does everything work fine?

If the answers are all YES then I think you have a faulty unit and you should raise a ticket with Line 6 support, and contact your vendor and tell them and possibly send it back and get a replacement especially if it's within your "evaluation" period.

But it is also worth seeing what radatats has to say after he has checked out your patch - just in case it is something I have overlooked.

I believe I do have a faulty unit. I hate that Mikey9966 confirmed the same problem as it may just be the 500x is a bad unit in that regard.

Even if there is a solution, it should NOT be that difficult to get a dual amp tone.

Edstar, how do you upload a patch?

I worked on the patch that was causing the trouble.  I was stumped at first but I learned something new tonight.  You have to set the channel volume for the amp when it is turned off as well as when it is turned on!  If you want no sound on that channel when the amp is off, you have to turn the amp off and then set the volume to zero.  When you turn that amp back on the volume goes back to where it should be.  The F-ball was going to volume 100 when turned off so you could still hear a clean guitar signal on that channel even when the amp was turned off.

PS if you pull up the amp page in HD Edit you can watch the channel volume go to zero when you turn off the amp and back again when you turn it on.  Pretty cool, I did not know that!