Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

2 Prong Power Supply

oehman

At 2 recent shows where the electrical outlets tested ok, I got shocked from my microphone while playing my JTV into Pod via Variax cable.

This only happened when I had phantom power turned on the mixer to power a condenser mike.

My pod HD was only feeding the mixer via XLR out.

My mike cable and mike test ok.

So I'm wondering about the power supply on the Pod. It is only 2 prong, and both prongs are the same size. Is there a correct way to plug it in? Seems like the power supply should have 3 prongs or one bigger than the other so the polarity is correct.

Has anyone else been jolted while using Pod HD?

From a basic electrical perspective, the reason you're getting shocked is because the mic and your guitar are at different voltage potentials. This can happen for a few reasons, but one the most common ones is that the circuits the PA system and the guitar amp, or in this case the HD Pro. So if possible, it's best if everything can be plugged into one circuit. If that's not possible, then all the circuits serving the stage and the PA should share a common ground. If this isn't the case, though, there's not a lot you can do about it. But it really doesn't have anything to do with the HD Pro not using a grounded plug.

• Upvote 1