Photo

G50 Signal Crackles, Cuts In And Out- Older Version Firmware

Best Answer dboomer , 02 March 2014 - 08:29 AM

Thanks for the update. Cables are always the first thing to rule out because cables will all fail given enough time and use. And while it doesn't happen a lot ... Even switching to a "new"cable doesn't guarantee a properly working cable. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2516 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:28 PM

So one of the things that makes diagnosing over the internet difficult is not getting all of the information. So we are now 20 posts and this is the first time I hear that you have taken the transmitter to a tech who has checked it out and found no problem???

So here are some things we have not positively ruled out...

It only happens with one instrument meaning that instrument is the problem

Mechanical problems ( shaking the cable). What happens if you lay your instrument flat on a table so nothing can move?

You have two defective cables

The problem is in the receiver and we are looking in the wrong place

You are experiencing some kind of interference that may have been corrected in a later firmware rev

Maybe something else :)

I think at this point I'd send it back to Calabasas ( if you are in the US)

It may cost almost as much to repair it as a new unit. But that's because the robotic machine that built it probably did it in minutes and it will take a tech an hour to disassemble it, test it and repair it and then box it up and send it back. That's just the way things work now. It's also possible that no fault is found IF indeed it is an interference problem. But it would get the firmware rev'd which MAY fix it on your end. Unfortunately there's just no way to know until it can be bench tested although if you can positively rule out the possibilities I've laid out about your chances will be better.

#22 kingsxman

kingsxman

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:55 AM

Post #13 is where I talk about bringing it to a “authorized repair person” in town.  (name gotten off Line 6’s web site).   They actually are the ones that found the cable to be bad.  (bad shield).     So sorry, but I have mentioned this.  This has been such a long process its easy to miss that.    But I am very appreciative of the help I’ve received here.   I’ve tried to be very methodical in my approach.  I started with trying to find a solution here…..but so far we haven’t been able to nail it down.   So that’s when I took to tech…..who obviously didn’t find the issue either.    I know this is a tough one.

The long and the short of it is this has been a very frustrating experience for everyone.    As for what we’ve ruled out and what we haven’t:

• It is happening with multiple instruments.  I tested again last night with 2 guitars and it still does it with both.  And I believe I used 2 guitars the first night it occurred. 

• Mechanical problems (shaking the cable):  it will crackle without me touching it…but it DEFINITELY gets worse if I touch the cable.  That’s what had me replace the cable first…and then when that didn’t fix it I replaced the input jack.

• 2 defective cables:  possible….but unlikely…imho at this point.

• Receiver being the problem:  Absolutely I guess.  But I see the signal “light up” on the transmitter when the crackling occurs.  So that tells me, at least I assume, that the transmitter is sending this crackling.

• Interference:  no way.  Has happened at too many different locations.  Gig, home,  at techs house.

• Later firmware fix?   Possible.  I have no idea.

The tech let me know that a board is $59.   I may take it back to him and have him replace the board.  That’s about all that’s left to replace in the transmitter.   But…am I throwing good money after bad?  I don’t know.   Just frustrating all around.   I guess all the complaints about these units I have read are legitimate.  I did research prior to buying used.  There were enough “complaints” that I had some reservations….but I went ahead anyway. 

#23 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:28 PM

I'm sorry to say, kingsxman...

...that (as I foreshadowed in my earlier post regarding possible "upstream" intermittencies ...and following what I believe to be your instinctively correct reasoning in terms of how the "signal present" LED of your beltpack responds to handling its cabling) I remain of the opinion that you may still be suffering a pair of bad cables and/or intermittent connections remaining within your two instruments.

You will doubtless have seen from my many earlier reports that MY eight TBP12 beltpacks (along with my five XD-V handhelds) have endured (and continue to endure) very heavy duty use over the past three years, but that I am also far from being "blind" to their deficiencies.

I do, however, still hold the firm belief that Line 6 wireless represents the best overall value for money of all of such systems that I continuously encounter in my rich and varied life "on the road".

#24 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2516 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:32 PM

Oops ... sorry, missed that.  Hard to keep track in long threads. :rolleyes:

If you can rule out my suggestions then my best guess would be a cracked circuit board or bad solder joint as the culprit.  But that's just a guess.

#25 kingsxman

kingsxman

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:49 PM

Thanks guys.  Ron, wouldn't that be the thing if I had 2 bad cables?   Hard to believe but I suppose weirder things have happened.

#26 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:31 PM

As many of us can testify from bitter experience, "2 bad cables" is indeed an all too common occurrence.

I doubt that I'm the only person who remembers that one entire production run (hundreds if not thousands) of something like these http://www.bhphotovi...pter_Cable.html had to be replaced under warranty a few years ago ...and nearly all experienced operators have developed the habit of carrying a comprehensive "kit" of spares...

...Things like spares of such adapters and spare "wall warts" tend to become "second nature" inclusions, along with the usual gaffer or duct tape and electrical tape, ...as well as an "emergency" supply of jocks, socks, toilet paper and toiletries to cope with unexpected "strandings".

Or, as Albert Einstein once said, (and I quote) "...Hmm..."

which is frequently taken to mean that "Extrusion of foecal matter inevitably occurs."

#27 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2516 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:49 AM

That's why "rule out" is different than " unlikely". :)

I do both but occasionally the unlikely does happen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users