Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd500x Questions..

fellpeach

Hey fellas,

I've had a HD500X ever since they came out, and I love it. If you have an older model POD, you should seriously consider the upgrade. Anyway I have a few questions, hopefully some of you guys can help me out here..

Recording: I have a Macbook and I'm using an old version of Garageband from like, '09. I plugged in my acoustic to record Here Comes The Sun, and post it on Facebook. WOW! It sounded fantastic! Everyone asked me to do another cover and so I thought, ah, what the heck? Sure thing...

I plugged in my LP, and switched it over to the assigned switches and played without doing a sound check. (Stupid) Five minutes later I'm playing it back, and it sounds like absolute crap! I was in shock compared to the acoustic! It is majorly distorted! Even on a clean assign, with or without an amp model. Long story long, what recording software are you guys using? I'd like to keep it under $150, and it has to be Mac compatible. (This is why I hate you, Mac) I have 2gb of Ram so any older versions of Logic, are kind of out of the question. (Logic demands to much for my old hunk of junk)...

Second thing: I'm planning on doing a small little guitar session at my school. Play along with the art teacher who plays piano and do a cover of, Let It Be. Our school stage has imbedded XLR inputs on the stage, and then that runs straight to the sound system amplifier, then to the speakers. Now, I'm no technical advance kind of guy when it comes to stuff like this. It's all new to me. Even though I know computers like the back of my hand. I see on the back of the 500X that it's got two, what appears to be XLR, even though it says Balanced Left and Right. What I'm trying to do is just get the sound from my pod straight to those XLR inputs in the stage. Any ideas of what cable I would need? I feel like a 1/4 inch to an XLR would work, but what would those balanced be used for? (future reference) 

Thanks Guys.

Q1- Reaper. By far the best $60 I have ever spent.

REAPER | Audio Production Without Limits

www.reaper.fm/

REAPER is digital audio workstation software: a complete multitrack audio and MIDI recording, editing, processing, mixing, and mastering environment.

‎

Q2 - I would just go left XLR out of the HD to the XLR in the stage. If you are using dual amps in the HD or using stereo effects, you'll need to go left & right XLR out and use 2 channels on the house mixer

I just tried going xlr out to the sound board at my church and I got a lot of distortion.... I tried Pad, line

vs amp  and it was all nasty sounding until..... I went 1/4" out to DI box with no attenuation and finally got a signal that was usable...  I would have a di box on hand if I were you...

Reaper is a full blown multitrack recording program, similar to Pro Tools. (But at less than 10% the cost). You can use just about any recording hardware to connect to your computer to get the signal into Reaper. But It is probably overkill if all you want to do is record one or two tracks. It is a bit complex if you are new to recording on your computer.

You might want to take a look at Audacity. It is free, but has some pretty good features. Much simplistic to use if you just want to record a couple tracks over a backing track.