hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:53 PM

Supro is a very nice amp

here is combined with a Telecaster and a couple of FXs to get the "Whole Lotta Love" early studio version sound..

link here: https://soundcloud.c...hole-lotta-love

(description of the settings are under the Soundcloud track, as usual)

hope you like it

#2 MGblade

MGblade

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:34 AM

awesome!!! wel done

#3 eenymason

eenymason

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:15 AM

More Nico Goodness - Bravo Signor!!

I agree the Supro does have great tone, particularly when combined with the Telecaster, and I also love the Vax Rockabilly models with it too

A question Nico - would you be interested in trying to nail a particularly elusive sound! (That'll test your english :D)

I have tried (with limited success) to capture the essence of Malcolm Young's tone in "Jailbreak" from their 1976 album (Australian release) "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap." His guitar opens the track, so is easy to hear on it's own. Capturing THAT tone, is not so easy though, and I reckon it's absolutely awesome!

I created a new model on my variax using the Silverjet body, and the bridge pickup from the other R-Billy model, (the bridge filtertron - his particular guitar is a version of the Duo-Jet with one Filtertron pickup), but the rest is a bit of a mystery. I know he has used Marshalls live from the beginning (I was lucky enough to see them live in 1975/6 with Bon Scott singing), and he has a fantastic sound, and I believe his technique is a big part of his sound - what a fantastic rhythm player he is !!

I have tried unsuccessfully using the JTM45 and the Plexi100 models in the HD500.

I then tried a dual amp patch using the AC15 and the Gibtone, which I felt got me closer to his tone, but then things got even harder - how much clean, vs how much gain, and how to capture that eq curve?? My head nearly exploded!

If you're at all interested, I can upload my attempt to Soundcloud, with details of the patch (happy to supply my patches as well).

I am asking you because you have done such good jobs at capturing many, varied guitarists and you've been very generous in sharing them here.

Anyway, whether or not you're interested in taking this one on, thanks for all your efforts, and keep up the great work!

Ciao for now,

Ian.

#4 arislaf

arislaf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1027 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:38 AM

\oh my oh my oh my \LOVE IT!!!!

#5 Akeron

Akeron

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:06 AM

Great! Just some questions (take a deep breath, ahhhhh):

1) When you say "single input" do you always mean "Variax"? Because I've found out that "Aux", "Mic" and other combinations give different amounts of distortion, with "Variax" being the less distorted one of all...

2) Do you always use "Guitar" as "Input 1 Source" or sometimes you use the default setting? I've found out that the default setting has more gain and more noise than "Guitar"...

3) If you don't specify an order that always means all effects are before the amp?

4) The fact you never specify the Mixer settings means you always use the default settings?

5) What about the position of the "Master" knob and all the physical switch on the POD and ? I mean Normal\Pad etc. Because that change the sound a bit...

6) You do record the POD connected via USB to the PC, but do you use the default PC USB settings and\or the default Reaper settings?

7) What size is the pick that you do use? I mean 0.88mm or more\less heavier. That could seem like a strange question but I've found out that with different picks you get different sounds...

and specifically for this patch

8) The reversed guitar at the has been done with the delay "Reverse" in the POD, it's a DAW trick or it's the original reversed track?

Thanks in advance :D In closing, this confirms once again the impression that the pickup choice is really that important...

#6 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:09 AM

...If you're at all interested, I can upload my attempt to Soundcloud, with details of the patch (happy to supply my patches as well).

I am asking you because you have done such good jobs at capturing many, varied guitarists and you've been very generous in sharing them here..

Thanks for the compliments :)

I'll give a look at "Jailbreak" studio version,.. as a first impression doesn't seem too difficult to imitate..

when I'll find the time I'll give a closer look at it and I'll try to get something that works good..

if you want upload your version to Soundcloud, it's a good idea, so I can see if it's possible for me to get a version more similar to the original one..

#7 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:41 AM

Great! Just some questions (take a deep breath, ahhhhh):

1) When you say "single input" do you always mean "Variax"? Because I've found out that "Aux", "Mic" and other combinations give different amounts of distortion, with "Variax" being the less distorted one of all...

2) Do you always use "Guitar" as "Input 1 Source" or sometimes you use the default setting? I've found out that the default setting has more gain and more noise than "Guitar"...

3) If you don't specify an order that always means all effects are before the amp?

4) The fact you never specify the Mixer settings means you always use the default settings?

5) What about the position of the "Master" knob and all the physical switch on the POD and ? I mean Normal\Pad etc. Because that change the sound a bit...

6) You do record the POD connected via USB to the PC, but do you use the default PC USB settings and\or the default Reaper settings?

7) What size is the pick that you do use? I mean 0.88mm or more\less heavier. That could seem like a strange question but I've found out that with different picks you get different sounds...

and specifically for this patch

8) The reversed guitar at the has been done with the delay "Reverse" in the POD, it's a DAW trick or it's the original reversed track?

Thanks in advance :D In closing, this confirms once again the impression that the pickup choice is really that important...

1) when I say "single input approach" I mean that input2 is different than input1, and the chain is done in pre position..

which in practice means that if I connect to the HD500 a normal guitar my inputs will be: guitar/variax

and if I connect a Variax my inputs will be: variax/guitar..

the above settings make sense only if the chain is done in pre position (not in path A or B )..

2) lately I tend to use only the single input approach, the reasons are thoroughly described into my other thread http://line6.com/sup...e-of-the-hd500/,.. often I try also the default settings to see if I can get even better results, but till the now the winner has always been the single input approach..

3) generally I describe the models and their settings following exactly the order in which they are in the chain, for this track I forgot to say that the reverb is after the amp/mixer.. sorry

4) only in some tracks I described also the mixer settings (vol and pan), I use them just as volume levels and I do some changes on the fly during the recording session when needed, eg in this case a turned up a few dB for the solo section,.. sometimes I set pan A and B in the center just to get more volume..

5) the POD master volume knob is set about half way, but only to set the right monitoring volume through my headphones which are low impedance, it doesn't affect the sound at all,.. regarding the other physical switches, the 1/4 OUT is set to LINE, the GUITAR IN is set to NORMAL, but since I used a Variax it doesn't matter..

6) the POD is working as an audio interface and is connected through USB, Reaper is set to use the HD500 asio driver, and the guitar track is set to use stereo inputs (default would be instead 1 mono input)..

7) I use Dunlop 2mm picks, I like this type of picks because I want to have complete control of the dynamics which with soft picks would be impossible to the same degree, also they give an attack a bit similar to that of the fingers, slighty warmer compared to regular picks..

8) I would have gladly added by myself the reversed guitar effect but it was already there in the backing track.. which I chose because I wanted that there was also the inspiring and great voice of Robert Plant.. anyway using a slide bar on the central strings and a reversed delay fx should be quite easy to get those crazy effects..

#8 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:54 AM

\oh my oh my oh my \LOVE IT!!!!

""Shake for me, girl

I wanna be your backdoor man.

Hey, oh, hey, oh

Oh, oh, oh

Keep a-coolin’, baby,

Keep a-coolin’, baby.""

LOVE IT TOO!! ;)

#9 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:56 AM

awesome!!! wel done

I'm glad you like it

#10 MartinDorr

MartinDorr

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationArizona, U.S.A.

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:02 AM

Thanks "hurghanico",

Your posts are a delight to listen to, learn how straight forward use of the models can achieve great tone, and interesting to follow the conversations those posts trigger.

I must say finding a new post from you is now one of my highlights of learning something exciting and new about that 'old' HD after thousands of posts covered a lot of ground.

Martin

#11 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:00 AM

Thanks "hurghanico",

Your posts are a delight to listen to, learn how straight forward use of the models can achieve great tone, and interesting to follow the conversations those posts trigger.

I must say finding a new post from you is now one of my highlights of learning something exciting and new about that 'old' HD after thousands of posts covered a lot of ground.

Martin

thanks Martin for the nice words :) ..

knowing that some people find useful and stimulating my posts, gives me satisfaction and keeps me motivated to continue ..

I too have learned a few things and I have been stimulated by some posts in this forum .. here is all an exchange ..

#12 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:00 PM

A question Nico - would you be interested in trying to nail a particularly elusive sound! (That'll test your english :D)

I have tried (with limited success) to capture the essence of Malcolm Young's tone in "Jailbreak" from their 1976 album (Australian release) "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap." His guitar opens the track, so is easy to hear on it's own. Capturing THAT tone, is not so easy though, and I reckon it's absolutely awesome!..

Ian I found it! :) ..

is simpler than you thought.. your head will not explode anymore!! :D

in a moment I have to bring my lady to the movies, if I can when I get back I'll make some final adjustments, and then I'll post everything..

otherwise tomorrow.. we'll see

#13 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:57 PM

I have tried (with limited success) to capture the essence of Malcolm Young's tone in "Jailbreak" from their 1976 album (Australian release) "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap." His guitar opens the track, so is easy to hear on it's own. Capturing THAT tone, is not so easy though, and I reckon it's absolutely awesome!..

here it is my new post with that tone: http://line6.com/sup...jailbreak-tone/

I think is quite good

in the background of the original track I hear also another complementary amp sound, a bit brighter, with much less volume and very slightly delayed..
I didn't have the time to find that too..

anyway the one I found is the main body tone and it works

#14 arislaf

arislaf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1027 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:40 AM

here it is my new post with that tone: http://line6.com/sup...jailbreak-tone/

I think is quite good

in the background of the original track I hear also another complementary amp sound, a bit brighter, with much less volume and very slightly delayed..
I didn't have the time to find that too..

anyway the one I found is the main body tone and it works

I have also a good, hard, difficult BUT awesome tone that i would like to know if you can nail it...

In my time of dying , Led Zeppelin...

Can you do this one?

Up to now, you prove your awesome nailing tone skill and guitar playing skill, with cleans, jazz, rock, finger playing, pick playing... But slide??

My bet is you can do it 50$ on it :D

#15 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:22 AM

I have also a good, hard, difficult BUT awesome tone that i would like to know if you can nail it...

In my time of dying , Led Zeppelin...

Can you do this one?

Up to now, you prove your awesome nailing tone skill and guitar playing skill, with cleans, jazz, rock, finger playing, pick playing... But slide??

My bet is you can do it 50$ on it :D

would have been better for me if you had bet that I can't do it..
so maybe I would have gained a few bucks ;)

but that's okay, I appreciate the confidence :) ..

unfortunately I lost my bottleneck, so maybe I'll pickup a "bic lighter" somewhere in the house to get a similar effect..

the Danelectro model is already there in my 700 waiting to be tuned in open A..

just I have to pick the right amp model, cab and mic, maybe adding a boost fx, and some ambience fx..

shouldn't be too difficult

all of this as usual for me, using the single input approach

as soon as I'll find the time I'll give a try

#16 arislaf

arislaf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1027 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:07 AM

Thank you Nico!!!! You are awesome!!!

#17 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts
  • LocationBologna, Italy

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:22 PM

...In my time of dying , Led Zeppelin...

Can you do this one?...

I still didn't find my bottleneck, I tried to use alternatively a rounded lighter but the results were poor..

so I decided to play one of the central parts of the song where the bottleneck is not used as much..

this is my attempt to get the "In my time of dying" Page tone:

https://soundcloud.c...y-time-of-dying

#18 arislaf

arislaf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1027 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:56 AM

:wub:  Thank you Nico!!! Much appreciated!!!I enjoyed very much, thank you!!! :) :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jimmy page, variax 700, hd500, supro s6616, fender telecaster

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users